Roger Federer Defends ATP Cup Withdrawal Criticism Ahead Of London Showdown - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Roger Federer Defends ATP Cup Withdrawal Criticism Ahead Of London Showdown

Roger Federer defends his choice to withdraw from the ATP Cup ahead of the season-ending finale in London this week.

Published

on

Roger Federer (@ATPCup - Twitter)

Roger Federer has defended his decision to withdraw from the ATP Cup ahead of this week’s end of year showdown in London. 

 

The 20-time grand slam champion has had a mixed 2019 season having won five titles this season but failed to capture another grand slam title, falling short to Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal.

However at 36 years-old, Roger Federer is still able to produce good results and has qualified for the Nitto ATP World Tour Finals every year since 2002.

This year’s feat has been even more impressive considering he played at Roland Garros this year, reaching the semi-finals.

Speaking of scheduling, that is the biggest talking point around Federer for the last few years and this year is no different.

This is as the Swiss has withdrawn from the ATP Cup ahead of next year’s Australian Open due to family reasons but has been scheduled to play exhibitions throughout the off-season especially in South America.

Although the move has been criticised by some, Federer has defended his decision ahead of this week’s season-ending finale in London, “Something had to give, that was the ATP Cup,” Federer said on media day at the O2.

“I just felt I was going to be very happy to play but it wasn’t that level of importance for me. That was that. Normally I don’t take these kinds of decisions like this but I kind of got into that situation having to take a decision after Wimbledon. 

“With my wife we try to come up with a really good schedule for the kids. At the end we weren’t ready to do. We wanted to be in the same place for a long time. I don’t think it’s contradictory at all.”

In the last few years, the Swiss has normally played Hopman Cup as preparation for the Australian Open and hopes that no tournament before the first grand slam of the year won’t come back to haunt him, “Hope not. But at the end of the day I think with age and experience I can be confident about what I do in training,” Federer said. 

I’ll travel to Melbourne early to make sure I give myself the best chance to get ready. I believe I can be ready, I don’t think I need a tonne of matches always, especially on the hard courts. Maybe I’m a bit more dependent on the draw earlier on in the Australian Open. The key is health.”

Roger Federer’s first match at the Nitto ATP Finals will be against Dominic Thiem on Sunday evening where he will look to end the season strongly.

Last year Federer lost in the semi-finals to eventual champion Alexander Zverev.

ATP

Jannik Sinner beats Norbert Gombos to set up second round clash against Danil Medvedev in Marseille

Published

on

Last year’s Next Gen Finals champion and world number 68 Jannik Sinner beat Slovakia’s Norbert Gombos 6-4 7-6 (7-5) at the Open 13 Provence in Marseille.

 

Sinner went down 1-4 in the tie-break of the second set. The Italian player saved all six break points he faced and did not face any break points in the 2-hour and nine-minute match.

Last week Sinner scored his first top 10 win against David Goffin in Rotterdam to reach his maiden ATP 500 quarter final.

The first set went on serve until the 10th game, when Sinner earned three consecutive set points with a backhand lob and sealed the opening set 6-4 with a break at love.

Sinner saved a break point in the first game of the second set with an ace. He saved another break point with an ace. Gombos earned two two more break points, but Sinner saved them with a forehand and and an ace. Sinner saved two break points to force to set up a tie-break. Gombos went up a 4-1 lead in the tie-break, but Sinner came back by winning six of the next seven games to win the tie-break 7-5.

Sinner set up a second round match against 2019 US Open finalist Danil Medvedev, who reached the quarter finals on his tournament debut in 2017.

Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz cruised past France’s Antoine Hoang 6-4 6-1 in just 64 minutes. Hurkacz dropped just points on his first serve to set up a second round match against Canada’s Vasek Pospisil.

Continue Reading

ATP

Mikael Ymer overcomes Richard Gasquet to advance to the second round in Marseille

Published

on

Swedish 21-year-old Next Gen player Mikael Ymer edged past Richard Gasquet 6-3 3-6 7-5 after 2 hours and 22 minutes to reach the second round at the Open 13 in Marseille.

 

Ymer fended off 7 of the 10  break points he faced and broke serve in the third match point in a marathon third game setting up a second round clash against Stefanos Tsitsipas.

Ymer raced out to a 4-0 lead with two consecutive breaks. Gasquet pulled back one break in the seventh game to close the gap to 2-5, but Ymer served out the first set in the ninth game with an ace.

Ymer saved three break points in the sixth game, but Gasquet earned the break on his third chance in the eighth game to win the second set 6-3.

Ymer got an early break in the second game of the third set to open up a 3-0 lead. Gasquet broke back in the ninth game and held serve to draw level to 5-5. Ymer converted his third break point at deuce to seal the third set 7-5 in the 12th game.

Benoit Paire beat Gregoire Barrere 6-4 7-6 (7-1) in the all-French match. Paire earned his only break of the match in the third game of the opening set. He saved two break points in the fourth game of the second set. Both players went on serve en route to the tie-break, where Paire cruised through to a 7-1 win.

Ilya Ivashka overcame Alexei Popyrin 6-1 3-6 6-4. Ivashka broke twice in the second and sixth games to win the first set 6-1. Popyrin earned one break in the fourth game to clinch the second set 6-3. Popyrin got an early break at deuce in the third game to take a 2-1 lead. Ivashka broke back in the sixth game to draw level to 3-3. Both players went on serve until the 10th game when Ivashka sealed the win with a break.

Continue Reading

ATP

Alexander Zverev Going In The Right Direction, Says Becker

The German tennis legend gives his verdict on Zverev’s current form following his grand slam breakthrough.

Published

on

Former world No.1 Boris Becker believes Alexander Zverev’s recent run at the Australian Open was confirmation that he belongs at the top of men’s tennis.

 

Last month the 22-year-old achieved his best ever grand slam performance by reaching the semi-finals in Melbourne Park before losing to Dominic Thiem. At the tournament he scored wins over Andrey Rublev, who won two consecutive titles prior to the event, and former champion Stan Wawrinka. Zverev has been tipped as a future world No.1 in recent years and remains the only active player outside of the Big Four to have won three or more Masters trophies. Although he has previously struggled to shine in the biggest events of the sport.

“Alexander Zverev has made a great step forward with his first participation in a grand slam semi-final.” Becker told reporters in Berlin on Sunday. “Although he had difficult weeks before, for which there were reasons.”

At the start of the year it looked as if the world No.7 was in trouble. At the ATP Cup he lost all three of his matches played. A performance Becker blames on his off-season training. During November and December Zverev played a series of exhibition matches with Roger Federer across South America and China.

“He didn’t train enough during the winter break and came to Brisbane unprepared.” He said.
“We exchanged some serious words off the court and he took them to heart.’
“Of course I’m happy he had such success. This is also a confirmation for him that he belongs at the top of the world (in tennis).”
“But the competitors never sleep, that’s a never ending story. He has to confirm this again and again.”

So far in his career, Zverev has won 11 ATP titles and has been ranked as high as third in the world. His biggest triumph occurred towards the end of 2018 when he won the ATP Finals in London.

Reflecting on his Melbourne run last month, Zverev believes he managed to achieve the milestone thanks to a new approach he took to the event. Instead of looking at the whole tournament, he narrowed his focus to match-by-match.

“I went here in a different way. I went match by match. Didn’t look very far. I just knew I had opponents in front of me. I had to play well to beat them. That was it.” He said last month. “Whenever I won, I’d sit down in the locker room and somebody told me who I’m playing next.’
“I went step by step, match by match. Usually I [haven’t done] that in Grand Slams.”

Zverev will return to action next week at the Mexican Open in Acapulco. A tournament where he finished runner-up 12 months ago. Becker believes his compatriot could do some damage on the hard courts over the coming weeks with two prestigious North American events taking place next month in Indian Wells and Miami.

“The next tournaments are on hard courts in America. He will play there as well. There he can take a lot of points.” Becker concluded.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending