Alex De Minaur secures his spot in the semifinals at the Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Alex De Minaur secures his spot in the semifinals at the Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan

Published

on

World number 18 and top seed Alex De Minaur cruised past Casper Ruud 4-1 4-0 4-2 to secure his spot in the semifinals at the Next Gen ATP Finals at the Allianz Cloud in Milan.

 

The Sydney native player has reached the semifinals undefeated for the second consecutive edition of the Next Gen Finals in Milan. The Aussie has scored the seventh win of his career in Milan breaking the record of match victories at this event held by 2017 finalist Andrey Rublev.

Ruud won the opening game of the match, but De Minaur reeled off nine consecutive games with breaks in the third and fifth games of the first set and in the second and fourth games of the second set.

Ruud saved two break points in the fourth game of the third set, but De Minaur broke serve in the sixth game with a backhand winner on the match point to close out the third set 4-2.

De Minaur won three titles in his home city Sydney, Atlanta and Zhuhai and finished runner-up to Roger Federer in Basel.

“I knew from playing Casper before that he would dictate any short ball without a purpose. The game plan was to play on my own terms, play aggressively, play different styles of tennis. The goal I had was to take any half-chance, go up and back myself at the net. I am gladi t worked out today. I am looking forward to the semifinals”, said De Minaur.

De Minaur has enjoyed the format of the Milan tournament so far.

“The conditions make it a bit tougher in the sense that things can change direction really quickly, so I feel like you have got to be constantly focused. That’s something that helps me in a way, to stay in the moment. A lot of work has been done for me to achieve that, but it’s a work in progress and I am happy to be through to the semifinals”, reflected De Minaur.

De Minaur thinks that there are some rules of this innovative format that he would like to take into other ATP Tour events next year.

“There are a lot of different things that obviously I really like. The Hawk-Eye live, you know, I think you don’t take away any sort of problem on the court. You believe Hawk-Eye. So it’s called out, it’s out. If it’s a close call, they show you the replay. No more troubles. You don’t have bad calls. If you don’t challenge and you should have challenged, then you realize you end up losing the point. But obviously sort of the instant replay. That helps a lot, as well. If you don’t challenge and you should have challenged, then you end up losing the point. But obviously sort of the instant replay, that helps a lot, as well. There is a couple of things that I do like here.”. 

The Next Gen Finals have been a chance to know the other players better and have new friends on the circuit.

“I don’t think I have ever had much to do with Jannik Sinner. After this week, I have been able to hit with him, and things like this that otherwise probably don’t happen in other tournaments. There is a lot of a lot more going on, a lot more players. But here it’s just eight of us. We are bound to get to know each other a bit better, so I enjoy that aspect for sure”, said De Minaur.

 

 

 

 

ATP

France’s Lucas Pouille To Undergo Surgery

The 26-year-old has suffered another setback to his plans for a return to the Tour.

Published

on

Lucas Pouille (photo by chryslène caillaud, copyright @Sport Vision)

Two-time Grand Slam quarter-finalist Lucas Pouille says he is hopeful that he will be able to play tennis again this season after announcing plans to undergo surgery.

 

The world No.58 confirmed on Tuesday morning that he will be having an operation on his right elbow later this month in Paris. Pouille has only managed to play one match this year on the ATP Tour due to the injury, which was at the Indian Wells Challenger tournament where he lost in straight sets to Noah Rubin.  The issue has been bothering the Frenchman since last October when he shut down his season early after the Shanghai Masters.

“It’s never an easy decision to take, but I will get surgery on my right elbow this month in Paris. After new medical exams, it appeared it was the best solution in order to finally be able to play pain-free. I still hope to play before the end of the season.” Pouille said in a statement.

Pouille initially looked to be on track to making a return to action after participating in the Ultimate Tennis Showdown in June. An exhibition tournament created by Serena Williams’ coach Patrick Mouratoglou. However, he lost two matches to Feliciano Lopez and Elliot Benchetrit before being forced to withdraw from the competition due to his elbow.

In recent days the coach of the former world No.10,  Loic Courteau, said they will not be travelling to the US Open next month. Although it is unclear if Courteau’s comments were made before or after the decision to undergo surgery was made.

“I will not be in New York, for the good reason that Lucas… is not going to play the tournament,” he told French television.

Pouille has won five ATP titles so far in his career and has earned more than $7 million in prize money. He is currently the eighth highest ranked French player on the ATP Tour.

Pouille’s ATP titles breakdown

2018 1 Montpellier (Indoor/Hard)
2017 3 Vienna (Indoor/Hard)
Stuttgart (Outdoor/Grass)
Budapest (Outdoor/Clay)
2016 1 Metz (Indoor/Hard)

 

Continue Reading

ATP

US Open Must Allow Entourages Of Three Or Four People, Says Thiem

The world No.3 says he is feeling good ahead of the return of professional tennis next month.

Published

on

Dominic Thiem has come out against proposals to restrict the number of coaching staff that can travel to this year’s US Open amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

This year’s New York major will be held behind closed doors for the first time in history and will be implementing a series of measures to help minimise the threat posed by the virus. Part of their plan is to limit how many people a player can bring with them to the tournament. It was originally reported that only one team member per player would be allowed to travel, but it has emerged that the limit has since been extended to three.

Speaking about the limits, three-time Grand Slam finalist Thiem said the idea of only allowing one member of his team to travel with him would be a risk for some players on the Tour.

*”I do not think so. Three or four people must be allowed. It would be extremely risky to travel without your own physio. You need a local coach for this,’ Thiem told The Kronen Zeitung newspaper on Sunday.

Thiem last played a match on the ATP Tour at the Rio Open in February where he lost in the quarter-finals. However, throughout the lockdown he has still managed to maintain his match fitness by participating in numerous tournaments. In total he has played 24 matches across three different countries, including one named after him called Thiems 7.

“Right now I feel very good,” he said. “I have played a lot of exhibition games in the last two months and I am not tired at all. I really wanted to play tennis again, since my start of the year was very good.’
“During This period of confinement at home I have been crushing myself a lot in the physical aspect and already when I returned to training. I have decided to improve the backhand and the serve a little more.”

The ATP Tour will resume next month with Thiem hoping that he can continue his form generated from earlier this year. At the Australian Open he reached the final for the first time in his career before getting edged out by Novak Djokovic. Although when he returns, tournaments will not be the same as before due to the ongoing pandemic with strict safety measures and reduced crowds in place.

“When the circuit returns, the matches will be exactly the same as we had previously, but the atmosphere will be different,” he said.
“All tennis players will miss playing tournaments where many people travelled to see us every day. In New York, Paris or Melbourne there are between 60,000 and 70,000 people every day in the facilities. That previous life we ​​had will not be the same and we may have to get used to this new normal for a few years.”

Thiem is one of only four men to have already made more than $1 million in prize money so far this year on the ATP Tour.

*NOTE: Since the publication of this article quotes have been edited following a translation mix-up.

Continue Reading

ATP

Nick Kyrgios Slams Thiem Over Defence Of Controversy-Stricken Adria Tour

The world No.40 has accused the Austrian of lacking an ‘intellectual level’ to understand his view.

Published

on

Australian star Nick Kyrgios has continued his public criticism of the Adria Tour by taking aim at two-time French Open finalist Dominic Thiem.

 

The 25-year-old has repeatedly hit out at the exhibition event, which Thiem participated in. Organised by world No.1 Novak Djokovic, the event took place in Belgrade and Zadar before it was scrapped following an outbreak of COVID-19 among both players and coaching staff. Djokovic, Grigor Dimitrov and Borna Coric all got infected. The outbreak came after the Adria Tour was criticised for a lack of social distancing and players attended various public events together. Although at the time, all of their actions were done in accordance with local regulations. Something the Serbian Prime Minister now admits was a mistake.

However, Thiem has called out Kyrgios over his vocal criticism of fellow Adria Tour competitor Alexander Zverev. The German attended a party in southern France less than a week after the COVID-19 outbreak despite issuing a statement saying he would go into self-isolation.

“It was his mistake, but I don’t why a lot of people want to interfere. Kyrgios has done a lot of mistakes. It would be better for him to come clear instead of criticising others,” Thiem told Tiroler Tageszeitung.

Continuing to defend the actions of his fellow players, Thiem also jumped to the defence of Djokovic. Who has been under heavy criticism over the event with some going as far as questioning his position as president of the ATP Players Council.

“He didn’t commit a crime. We all make mistakes, but I don’t understand all the criticism. I’ve been to Nice and also saw pictures from other cities. It’s no different from Belgrade during the tournament. It’s too cheap to shoot at Djokovic.”

The comments have now been blasted by Kyrgios, who stands by his previous criticism of players. Accusing Thiem of lacking an ‘intellectual level’ to see his point of view.

“What are you talking about @ThiemDomi? Mistakes like smashing rackets? Swearing? Tanking a few matches here or there? Which everyone does?” Kyrgios wrote on Twitter.
“None of you have the intellectual level to even understand where I’m coming from. I’m trying to hold them accountable.”
“People losing lives, loved ones and friends, and then Thiem standing up for the ‘mistake,'” he added.

The COVID-19 pandemic has killed more than 500,000 people worldwide and some players have voiced concerns over travelling to America which has recently seen a rise in cases. On Wednesday Alexi Popyrin became the first player to say he won’t play the US Open due to health concerns.

The ATP Tour is set to resume next month but it is unclear as to what events Thiem and Kyrgios will be playing in.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending