Relentless Roger Federer Captures Record 10th Basel Title In Emphatic Fashion - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Relentless Roger Federer Captures Record 10th Basel Title In Emphatic Fashion

The Swiss Maestro has declared that it is ‘good times right now’ following his latest win on the ATP Tour.

Avatar

Published

on

World No.3 Roger Federer has extended his unbeaten run at the Swiss Indoors to 24 matches in a row after seeing off Australian Next Gen star Alex de minaur in the final on Sunday.

 

Federer, who made his Basel debut four months before his opponent was born back in 1998, was in clinical form throughout his 6-2, 6-2, victory. Winning 72% of his service points without facing a single break point.

“I think I played a great match. It was a tough opener in the beginning during the first five games we had some great rallies and I sort of never looked back.” Federer told TennisTV.
“I was great on the offensive, made very few unforced errors and came up with the big shots and serving when I had to.”

The clash between the two was a battle between old and young. 20-time grand slam champion Federer was contesting his 157th final on the ATP Tour at the age of 38. To put that into perspective, 20-year-old de Minaur has only won 45 matches on the ATP Tour so far in his career. Despite the disparity between the two, Federer was tested at times throughout his latest match at the 9000 capacity St. Jakobshalle Arena.

The Swiss top seed first struck four games into the final as he worked his way to a 40-0 advantage on his rivals serve. Two break points came and went, thanks to some stern play from de Minaur before Federer sealed the 3-1 lead with a smash at the net. In the lead, he eased his way through the opener. A loose forehand from the underdog gifted Federer a duo of set points before he sealed the 6-2 advantage at the expense of another error from across the court.

Continuing to pounce, the home favourite dismantled the de Minaur serve. Firing a forehand passing shot to break immediately at the start of the second set. Moving seemingly effortlessly around the court, Federer rallied his way to a game away from victory. Overcoming some spirited play from De Minaur. Closing in on his latest Basel trophy, the final concluded with another de Minaur unforced error.

“What a moment for me to win my tenth title here in Basel.” Said Federer.
“I couldn’t be more happy. I feel very good, very fresh. What a great tournament it has been for me. It always has been, but particularly the last few times I’ve been here I have always been in finals and always won.” He added.

There are also positives to draw for de Minaur, was played in only his second ATP 500 final after Washington last year. He is also only the second Australian player to contest a Basel final after Mark Philippoussis back in 1997.

“For me it has been a dream come true to play Roger in Basel. I don’t think it gets much bigger than that.” He said during the trophy presentation.

Sunday’s victory rewards Federer the La Decima in Basel. A term that refers to an athlete winning something for a 10th time that was made famous by Real Madrid’s hunt for their 10th European Cup. It is his most successful tournament in terms of titles won alongside Halle. He now has a win-loss record of 75-9 in Basel with his last loss being to Juan Martin del Potro in the 2013 final.

Federer has become the fifth player in 2019 to win a fourth title on the Tour. Following in the footsteps of Novak Djokovic, Daniil Medvedev, Rafael Nadal and Dominic Thiem. Overall, he has 103 trophies to his name. The second highest in history.

Despite his age, Federer has already insisted that he ‘will try’ and return to Basel in 2020. Saying with confidence ‘I’m looking ahead. It is good times right now.’ He is the oldest ATP Champion since Ken Rosewall, who won the 1977 Hong Kong Open at the age of 43.

ATP

Felix Auger-Aliassime Survives Australian Open Marathon

For a second time this week the Canadian was pushed but managed to win a tough four-set match against his Spanish opponent.

Avatar

Published

on

Felix Auger-Aliassime (Manuela Davies/USTA)

Felix Auger-Aliassime booked his spot in the third round of the Australian Open after beating Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 7-6, 6-7, 7-6, 7-6 in a match that lasted four hours and 20 minutes.

 

The Montreal native hit 58 winners and served 28 aces while Davidovich Fokina hit 51 unforced errors. It is the second time the 21-year-old has reached the last 32 in Melbourne Park in what is his third appearence.

The first game of the match was a nervy one for the world number nine as it lasted six minutes and it involved him saving two breakpoints before being able to hold serve. The opener stayed on serve until 2-2 when the Fokina came up with an impressive passing shot to set up two more chances for the first break of serve of the match and this time managed to convert. Three games later the Canadian fought back and broke right back to go back on serve.

It was a tiebreak which decided the first set. The Montreal native jumped out to a 3-0 lead before the Spaniard came back again to win the next four points but the Canadian responded again winning three straight points to take the breaker 7-4 and the first set.

The second set was another impressive performance on serve by both players and once again was decided by a back and forth breaker that this time was won by Davidovich Fokina to level the match.

The third frame was much the same as both players kept their level up and not much differentiated the two. This tiebreaker was much more straightforward as the Canadian jumped out to a 5-1 lead before closing out the third set 7-5 and taking two sets to one lead.

The fourth set stayed on serve until 2-1 when the world number 50 had a chance to break and was able to get it for a 3-1 lead before the Canadian was able to break back the following game to go back on serve.

For the fourth time, the set was decided by a tiebreaker and this one was super tight with the Canadian getting the crucial break to take a 4-3 lead and that one break was enough for him to serve it out.

Auger Aliassime will now face Dan Evans in the third round after the Brit was handed a walkover against Frenchman Arthur Rinderknech who pulled out of the match due to injury.

Continue Reading

ATP

‘Best Feeling I’ve Ever Had’ – Underdog Christopher O’Connell Stuns Schwartzman At Australian Open

Prior to this week the 27-year-old had never won a main draw match at Melbourne Park or beaten a top 20 player.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNtenis

World No.175 Christopher O’Connell has pulled off a major upset at the Australian Open by knocking out 13th seed Diego Schwartzman.

 

The 27-year-old wild card had only ever won one match in the main draw of a Grand Slam prior to this year but illustrated the talent that he has with a 7-6, 6-4, 6-4, win over Schwartzman. A player who is currently ranked 162 places above him in the rankings. Against the Argentine he fired a total of 44 winners and won 75% of his first service points on route to claiming his first win over a top 20 player.

“It’s the best feeling I’ve ever had on a tennis court. I’ve been playing tennis since I was four. To have moments like this it’s a dream come true.” O’Connell said during his press conference.

Despite the straightforward score, the match itself was a marathon. The opener alone lasted for almost 90 minutes with the underdog saving three set points whilst down 4-5 before prevailing in the tiebreaker. Then in the following two sets he broke Schwartzman three times in total.

“I knew how crucial that first set was. It was really warming up out there. It was really a battle back and forth. It was crucial to get that first set, especially in the heat,” he said.

A late bloomer on the men’s Tour, the Australian started to make a breakthrough last year by reaching his first quarter-final at the Atlanta Open where he defeated Jannik Sinner. During that year he also reached the final of a French Challenger event before withdrawing due to injury and reached the second round of the US Open.

O’Connell, who has been ranked as high as 111th in the world, credits his coach for helping him reach new milestones in the sport. He is mentored by former player Marinko Matosevic who reached a ranking high of 39th back in 2013 and made more than $2M in prize money during his playing career.

“The process didn’t start yesterday. It’s been happening all of last year,” he stated.
“I’ve been working with Marinko. He’s just really confident with how I want to play tennis now. It’s the first time I’ve really had a one-on-one coach literally every day with me.’
“Marinko was such a great player. All his knowledge of the game, he’s just putting it onto me.”

Next up for O’Connell will be the in-form Maxime Cressy who lost to Rafael Nadal in the final of the Melbourne Summer Set just over a week ago. The American defeated Czech qualifier Tomáš Macháč 6-1, 3-6, 6-1, 7-6(5), in his second round match.

“I knew I had good results in me. It’s just being consistent. I felt today was a consistent match from me,” he reflected.
“But the biggest thing for me is just staying healthy, not having these injuries where I miss two months of tournaments. I nearly missed five or six months last year. I can’t be doing that.’
“The belief is always there, but I just got to make sure my body’s healthy this year. I want to play a full year.”

Continue Reading

ATP

French Player Tests Positive For COVID-19 Hours After Australian Open Defeat

The world No.40 was preparing to leave the country.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via https://twitter.com/HumbertUgo/

Ugo Humbert is in quarantine after testing positive for COVID-19 following his first round loss at the Australian Open on Tuesday.

 

Humbert, who was the 29th seed in the men’s draw, is understood to have produced a positive result during a routine procedure players have to conduct before they leave the country. It is unclear as to if he is currently suffering from any symptoms.

Humbert crashed out of the tournament to compatriot Richard Gasquet, who won their match 3-6, 7-6(4), 7-6 (3), 6-3, in three hours and 18 minutes. Gasquet also tested positive for COVID-19 upon arrival in Australia earlier this month but was given the all clear to play at Melbourne Park following a negative test. There was a 15-day period between the 35-year-old announcing on Twitter he had the virus and his first match against Humbert.

“I was tested positive on my exit test yesterday and I’ll stay one more week in isolation in Australia,” Humbert wrote on Instagram.
“Thanks for your support and see you soon.”

The 23-year-old has started his season by winning one out of four matches played. Prior to the Australian Open, he scored one of the biggest wins of his career by defeating Daniil Medvedev at the ATP Cup in the group stages. However, following that victory he suffered losses to Alex de Minaur and Matteo Berrettini.

Tennis Australia is yet to comment on Humbert’s positive test.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending