Former Russian Tennis Star Turned Coach Alexander Volkov Dead At 52 - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Former Russian Tennis Star Turned Coach Alexander Volkov Dead At 52

Tributes have poured in following the passing of the former US Open semifinalist

Avatar

Published

on

The world of tennis is in mourning following the death of former top 20 player Alexander Volkov.

 

News of Volkov’s passing was confirmed on Saturday by former world No.1 Yevgeny Kafelnikov, who made the announcement on Twitter. Volkov played on the ATP Tour during the 1980s and 1990s. Winning three professional titles in Milan (1991), Auckland (1993) and Moscow (1994). This week’s Kremlin Cup marks the 25th anniversary of his last triumph.

It was at the US Open where Volkov is best remembered. In 1990 he stunned Stefan Edberg in the first round of the grand slam. Becoming the first player to defeat a top seed in their opening match at the event since 1971. Three years later he recorded his best ever grand slam performance by reaching the semi-finals in Flushing Meadows before losing to eventual champion Pete Sampras. Volkov also reached the US Open quarter-finals in 1992.

In the Davis Cup the Russian represented his country in 16 ties and was a prominent member of the team who reached the final in 1994. He recorded wins over players such as Michael Stich and pat Rafter. Overall, he won 17 out of 27 matches played.

“Volkov was cheerful,” Kafelnikov told reporters in Moscow. “I was lucky to be with him to defend the colours of the Russian flag at the Davis Cup in 1994-95. I took my first title in Adelaide, beating Sasha (Alexander) in the final.’
“I have the brightest memories of him. It’s a pity that this happened to him. Today we will honour the winners of the Kremlin Cup, Sasha was one of them. It’s hard to believe that he left. I talked to him last year, everything was fine. Today’s has news shocked me.”

After retiring from professional tennis, Volkov remained connected to the sport. Taking up the role of coaching Marat Safin and helping guide him to two grand slam titles during their time together.

“For me, Sasha is more than a colleague. At some point, he began to help me in tennis. Thanks to him, I won the US Open, became the first in the world. We were friends.” Safin said in a tribute.
“He was cheerful and witty, with a big heart. But these qualities, unfortunately, are sometimes not enough to walk on this earth. He could not overcome himself in some things. Too kind and responsive is also not very good, because life can lead in the wrong situations.“ He added.

There has been no official statement concerning the cause of death. However, Russian media sources have quoted former players as saying that he suffered from numerous personal issues in recent years. Former world No.9 Andrei Chesnokov told Championat that Volkov had struggled with drinking.

“We always communicated well, lived in the same room, played together. It was part of my life in tennis. We played a tournament together five years ago. In the evening we sat down to dinner, I ordered a bottle of wine to drink by the glass, to which he (Volkov) replied: “I won’t, because I won’t be able to stop,” he explained.

Volkov’s career in brief

  • Ranking high of 14th achieved in 1993
  • Earned $3,362,840 in prize money during his career
  • Scored 17 wins over top 10 players
  • Finished six consecutive seasons in the top 50 (1990-1995)
  • Achieved a win-loss record of 303-255 on the tour

Continue Reading
Click to comment

ATP

Singapore Champion Alexi Popyrin Dedicates Maiden ATP Title To Family

The world No.114 battled back from a set down to become the fifth active Australian player to win an ATP singles title.

Avatar

Published

on

Rising star Alexi Popyrin has claimed the biggest title in his career to date after triumphing in the final of the Singapore Open on Sunday.

 

The 21-year-old battled back from a set down to defeat world No.46 Alexander Bublik 4-6, 6-0, 6-2, in what was his first ever final on the ATP Tour. Popryin, who had never got past the quarter-final stage of a Tour event prior to this week, managed to turn his fortunes around with the help of an emphatic service display. During the second set he dropped no points behind serve and only one in the third. Overall, the Australian produced 11 aces and broke Bublik five times en route to victory.

A former junior world No.2 who won the 2017 French Open boys’ title, Popyrin has become the fifth active player from Australia to have won an ATP title. The other four are Nick Kyrgios, Alex de Minaur, Bernard Tomic and John Millman. During the trophy ceremony Popyrin said the breakthrough was a result of hard work as he paid tribute to his family.

“I’ll definitely have very fond memories of Singapore now, I’ll definitely remember this for the rest of my life,” he said.
“We put a lot of hard work in the pre-season and it’s paying off in the start of the year I’ve had. In Australia I felt really good so it’s just good to see all the hard work paying off.
“My family behind the scenes, they’ve sacrificed so much for me and to finally win a tournament just shows how much hard work they put in with me also. This is for them 100 per cent.”

Prior to Bublik, Popyrin also scored a win over former US Open champion Marin Cilic in the semi-finals. The breakthrough continues what has been an encouraging start to the season for the Next Gen star. At the Murray River Open in Melbourne he took Grigor Dimitrov to three sets before losing in the third round. Then at the Australian Open he knocked out top 20 player David Goffin.

Meanwhile, Bublik is left wondering what might have been. It was the second time the Kazakh has reached a Tour final this season after Antalya where he had to retire due to injury.

“His first final, his first title, I have four finals, which hurts now but just congratulate you and next time we’ll see if we can face in the final,” Bublik said.

Popyrin will rise to a ranking high of 82nd when the standings are updated on Monday.

Continue Reading

ATP

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina beats Hubert Hurkacz to reach the quarter final in Montpellier

Avatar

Published

on

Alejandro Davidovich Fokina came back from 1-3 in the opening set and converted four of the ten break points to claim a 7-5 6-2 win over Hubert Hurkacz in 1 hour and 34 minutes at the Open Sud de France in Montpellier. 

 

Hurkacz went up a break in the fourth game at deuce to take a 3-1 lead. Davidovich Fokina broke back in the fifth game at 15 and held serve to draw level to 3-3. Hurkacz saved a break point in the seventh game to hold serve after two deuces. Davidovich Fokina converted his second break point in the 11th game to win the first set 7-5. 

Hurkacz saved three break points in the third game of the second set, but Davidovich Fokina broke twice in the fifth and seventh games at deuce to win the final four games from 2-2 securing his spot in the quarter final. 

The 21-year-old Spanish player set up a quarter final against Egor Gerasimov, who knocked out Aljaz Bedene 6-4 7-6 (7-4) after 1 hour and 51 minutes. Bedene converted his second break point at deuce in the first game. Gerasimov broke back in the fourth game to draw level to 2-2. Gerasimov closed out the first set 6-4 with a break on his opportunity in the 10th game.

Bedene went up a break in the third game of the second set to take a 2-1 lead. Gerasimov broke back in the 10th game to draw level to 5-5. Gerasimov earned five match points at 6-1 in the tie-break. Bedene saved the first three chances, but Gerasimov closed out the tie-break 7-4 on his fourth opportunity. 

Roberto Bautista Agut cruised past Gregoire Barrère 6-0 6-3. The Spanish player built up a 6-0 2-0 lead with four consecutive breaks. Barrère came back by winning three consecutive games to take a 3-2 lead with a break in the fourth game. Bautista Agut reeled off four consecutive games with two consecutive breaks to win the second set 6-3 

Dennis Novak came back from 3-5 down by winning the final four games in the second set to beat Dusan Lajovic 7-6 (7-5) 7-5 after 1 hour and 35 minutes. Novak set up a quarter final clash against German Peter Gojowczyk, who came back from one set down to beat Juri Vesely 6-7 (3-7) 7-4 (7-4) 6-3 after 2 hours and 28 minutes. Gojowczyk hit 17 aces and won 86 % of his first service points. Gojowczyk saved four break points in the ninth game. Vesely earned two mini-breaks to win the tie-brek 7-3. The second set went on serve en route to the the tie-break. Gojowczyk earned one mini-break to win the tie-break 7-4. The German player converted his only break point in the second game to seal the third set 6-3.

Continue Reading

ATP

John Isner not happy with the cut in prize money for Miami Masters

John Isner took to Twitter to raise some issues about the ATP and latest state of affairs in Tennis.

Avatar

Published

on

John Isner (@usta - Twitter)

The American took to social media to vent his frustration saying it doesn’t make sense.

 

John Isner took to twitter today after hearing the news that the Miami Open will be cutting its prize money down with the singles champion only taking $300,110 with a first round loser only winning $10,000 in prize money.

Isner and many other players on tour believe the tournament should be forced to due an audit to truly reveal what their finances are and to see if they are hiding anything.

“How about a true audit to see how much tourneys are actually hurting and then a money formula after the event to reconcile?”

“Amazing we still don’t have this in a lot of our big events. How does that make any sense?” 

He also tweeted about the promoters saying the system the ATP uses is broken.

The American also spoke of the unfairness in the cuts the players are taking in comparison to the actual events.

“So players should take a 60% cut and 80% champions cut while ATP executives keep full salaries, benefits, and expense accounts? Make that make sense. Seems just a little bit hypocritical, don’t ya think?”.

Isner finally believes the players should benefit from the tournament not just in the short term but over a long tenure.

““Tennis is plagued by conflict and lack of transparency”

The tournament is scheduled for March 23rd at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami and the tournament has confirmed they won’t be doing a quarantine like the Australian Open.

The players will need to provide a negative PCR test to board a flight to the US and once they land they will be tested once again and isolate until a negative result is shown.

The players will only be allowed at the hotel and the venue and any player who doesn’t respect the rules will be subject to penalties and be withdrawn from the tournament.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending