World No.4 Daniil Medvedev has issued his own dig at Stefanos Tsitsipas after the Greek criticised his playing style.
The two clashed in the semi-finals of the Shanghai Masters last week, which the Russian won in straight sets. Extending his head-to-head record over Tsitsipas to 5-0. However, it was during the post-match press conference where the controversy started. Asked what it is like to play Medvedev on the tour, Tsitsipas replied by saying that it was ‘boring.’
“Well, I don’t mean to be rude at all, actually, at all, but it’s just boring. It’s boring. It’s so boring that — I don’t know.” He said.
“So he has a huge serve, and if you manage to get it back, it’s just countless balls inside the court, which you have, the only way you have to, you can do is hit as hard as you can side to side, be accurate, and make him move.”
“Otherwise you can just play it back to him and play it again and play it again. It just keeps coming back, keeps coming back.”
Medvedev is currently on a nine-match winning streak and has won three out of his past four tournaments played. Two of which were at Masters level. He has won more matches than anybody else on the ATP Tour this season and has featured in six consecutive finals since Wimbledon.
Responding to comments made by his rival at a press conference on Tuesday, the 23-year-old brushed them aside. Poking fun at Tsitsipas’ for what he said about his Laver Cup celebration.
“Every tennis player can say something nasty about some other player. Tsitsipas also gave another interview during Shanghai, if I am not mistaken. He was asked how he celebrated the victory at the Laver’s Cup. Not only me, but many Russian and international tennis players laughed at his answer. After that interview I stopped taking Tsitsipas seriously.” Medvedev stated.
“He said, that he was forced to drink alcohol. Well, nothing serious, but then he said: “Mother, do you hear it? They forced me to drink! It was disgusting, I can show you the video”. That is not funny. I don’t take him seriously after that.”
It is not the first time the two players have had a falling out. During the 2018 Miami Open the umpire had to step in after the conclusion of their match. Both were frustrated with each other for taking long toilet breaks. Medvedev took his at the end of the second set and Tsitsipas took mis midway through the decider. At the end of their match, Medvedev called his rival ‘a small kid who doesn’t know how to fight.’
Alexander Zverev, who was runner-up in Shanghai last week, said the two players have a ‘weird relationship’ on the tour. However, he refuses to get caught up in the fiasco when questioned about it by reporters.
“Stefanos and Daniil have a weird relationship a little bit. So I will leave that to them,” said Zverev.
“I have a very good relationship with Daniil since we’re kids, and I’m having a good relationship with Stefanos now since the Laver Cup. So whatever they have, they can leave it for themselves.”
The German said he disagreed with the idea that Medvedev’s style of play in boring. Having previously described him as currently one of the best players in the world. Medvedev has won 29 out of his last 33 matches played on the tour.
“Daniil is somebody that plays in a way that we have never seen before. So you can see it both ways. Yeah, maybe he doesn’t do huge winners or jumping forehands or anything like that, but he plays a style that we have never seen before.” He explained.
“That is not boring to me. But we have to adjust to it. We play against different players every single day of our lives. Every single player is different. There are no players that play the same way.”
Medvedev has withdrawn from this week’s Kremlin Cup due to fatigue.
Nikoloz Basilashvili survives scare in Sardinia
The third day of the Italian 250 event saw a trio of seeded players secure their places in the quarter-finals.
A strong Mediterranean wind was not enough to blow away Nikoloz Basilashvili at the Sardegna Open as he came through a tense 3-setter against Slovakian qualifier Jozef Kovalik.
The fourth seed’s typically aggressive style at times threatened to prove his undoing in Cagliari. A topsy-turvy encounter in blustery conditions was ultimately defined by the marathon tenth game in the deciding set, Kovalik missing five match points as his opponent’s serve just about held firm. Basilashvili then immediately broke himself, going on to complete a 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, victory.
He will take on Jan-Lennard Struff in the quarter-finals. The fifth seed overpowered Britain’s Liam Broady 6-4 6-2, a much-improved performance from the German after his nervy first-round slugfest with Joao Sousa.
Qualifier Broady, whose strong start to the year has seen him reach a career-high ranking of 152, started well. He broke the fifth seed in the second game, but Struff was able to respond immediately before going on to take the first set 6-4. The Brit faded in the second set, Struff’s superior ranking showing as he overpowered his opponent with some brutal forehands and booming serves. If both men bring their best form, his match-up with Basilashvili on Friday should be an entertaining encounter.
Elsewhere, Aljaz Bedene defeated Egor Gerasimov 6-4, 7-6(5). Fresh from an impressive win over Guido Pella in round one, qualifier Gerasimov would have had high hopes to progress further, facing an opponent ranked only 22 places higher. It looked good for the Belarussian as he edged a break ahead early on, but the ever-reliable Bedene reeled off three games in a row to take the first set. A similarly tight second set looked to be going Gerasimov’s way when he stormed to a 4-0 lead in the tie break, but Bedene once again took charge, winning 7 of the next 8 points to book a spot in the next round.
His opponent there will be second seed Taylor Fritz, who enjoyed a relatively easy ride in the final match of the day. He breezed through the opening set against Andrej Martin 6-2, looking strong in his first outing on clay in 2021. The players traded two breaks each in the second set before Fritz took the tie break 7-4. This week is the first tournament Fritz is playing as American No.1 after recently overtaking John Isner.
Roger Federer Set To Start Clay Campaign In Madrid
The world No.7 will be back on the Tour shortly as he seeks his first title since the 2019 Swiss Indoors.
20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer is set to return to competitive tennis later this month after being included in the entry list for a key Masters 1000 tournament.
The former world No.1 is currently down to play the Madrid Open which will start on April 30th and takes place over 10 days. Federer returned to the Tour at the Dubai Tennis Championships last month in what was his first tournament in over a year due to a knee injury which required two operations. In Dubai he reached the quarter-finals before losing to Nikoloz Basilashvili who went on to win the title.
Since then the Swiss maestro has returned to the practice courts to “work his way back out on tour,” according to his agent Tony Godsick. Federer has already confirmed that he will play on the clay this season but admits that it is because he has little choice. The 39-year-old has already stated that his goal is to be in top shape in time for the grass-court swing which starts after the French Open.
“What comes before the grass courts are the clay courts,” Federer told reporters on March 11th. “So I have no choice but to play on clay if I want to play matches.
“The clay could be good or bad for me. I will only know in practice, but I don’t think it’s going to be bad. I assume I will play some clay.”
It isn’t the first time Federer has started his return to the clay in Madrid. In 2019 he played his first match on the surface in almost three years at the tournament after skipping the clay-court season the two previous years.
Also on the Madrid entry list is Federer’s rivals Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal who both missed the Miami Open. Dominic Thiem is also set to play in the tournament after he recently announced a delay to his return to professional tennis because he isn’t ready to compete yet.
The Madrid Open has been largely dominated by the Big Four (including Andy Murray) for more than a decade. Since 2008 only one player outside of the quartet has won the title which was Alexander Zverev back in 2018. Last year’s edition was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Rafael Nadal Will Be Ready For Start Of Clay Season, Says Doctor
A member of Nadal’s team has issued some encouraging news.
It appears that Rafael Nadal’s recent woes are behind him as he looks to get back on track at next week’s Monte Carlo Masters.
The 34-year-old hasn’t played a tournament since his loss to Stefanos Tsitsipas in the quarter-finals of the Australian Open earlier this year. Throughout the first quarter of the season Nadal has been troubled by a back problem which he first picked up in Melbourne. The injury forced him to pull out of both the Rotterdam Open and Miami Masters. Overall, he has played just five matches so far in 2021.
Nadal will be looking to regain momentum on his beloved clay. A surface which he has won 60 ATP titles on, including a record 13 French Open trophies. According to his doctor, Ángel Ruiz-Cotorro, the world No.3 is ‘training well’ at present.
“He is training well, he is training hard. His goal is clay. First is Monte Carlo and his final goal is Roland Garros. It is clear,” Cotorro told RTVE.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion will be seeking his 12th title in Monte Carlo in what is a tournament record. He has won three out of the four past editions with the only exception being Fabio Fognini who won the title in 2019. Last year’s tournament was axed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Looking further on in the calendar, Nadal is expected to play tournaments in Barcelona, Madrid and Rome before the French Open which is set to start in May. Although it is possible that his commitments could change. A member of the French government has also admitted that it is possible that Roland Garros could be delayed for a second year in a row due to the pandemic but no such change has been formally announced.
So far in his career Nadal has won 86 ATP titles and earned more then $123 million in prize money. He is only the fourth player in the Open Era to have won 1000 or more matches on the men’s Tour.
Lorenzo Sonego and Andrea Vavassori claim the doubles title in Cagliari
Pablo Carreno sets up all-Spanish final against Jaume Munar in Marbella
Lorenzo Sonego reaches his third career final in Cagliari
Halle tournament to be held behind closed doors
Ons Jabeur Acknowledges Mental Toughness Ahead Of Charleston Semi-Finals
Model Claims She Was Offered 60,000 Euros To Set Up Novak Djokovic
Furious Vasek Pospisil Blames Miami Open Meltdown On Heated Meeting With ATP
‘He’s Got To Be Clever’ – Roger Federer Urges Del Potro To Make Cautious Return To Tennis
Updated Entry Lists For Marbella, Cagliari
REPORT: Rafael Nadal To Play Exhibition At Real Madrid’s New Bernabéu
Steve Flink: “Jannik Sinner Will Be a Top 10 Player by the US Open”
(VIDEO) Miami Open Final Preview: Jannik Sinner Is The Favourite But Don’t Underestimate Hurkacz
Steve Flink: “Naomi Osaka Will Win At Least A Dozen Slams”
Steve Flink: “Djokovic and Nadal will end up with more Slams than Federer”
Steve Flink: “Why would Djokovic fake an injury when he’s two sets up?”
Latest news2 days ago
Lorenzo Musetti saves four match points to beat Daniel Evans in a dramatic tie-break in Cagliari
Latest news3 days ago
‘It Came Back Quite Naturally’ – Ash Barty Returns To The Charleston Clay In Clinical Fashion
Latest news2 days ago
Lorenzo Musetti receives a wild-card to play in the main draw in Monte-Carlo
Latest news3 days ago
EXCLUSIVE: Leylah Fernandez On Why She Isn’t Fully Satisfied With Her Season So Far
Focus2 days ago
Felix Auger Aliassime adds Toni Nadal to his coaching team
Focus2 days ago
Danka Kovinic Upsets Petra Kvitova In Charleston
Latest news1 day ago
Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal are drawn in opposite halves at the Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters
Latest news2 days ago
Carlos Alcaraz comes back from one set down to beat Feliciano Lopez in Marbella