Kim Clijsters announces her come-back to the WTA Tour in 2020 - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Kim Clijsters announces her come-back to the WTA Tour in 2020

Published

on

Four-time Grand Slam champion Kim Clijsters is planning to come out of retirement and make her return to the WTA Tour in 2020.

 

The Belgian 36-year-old has announced in an interview on the WTA Website on Thursday that she wants a new challenge in her life after retiring from tennis after the 2012 US Open.

Cljisters won her maiden Grand Slam title at the 2005 US Open. The Belgian player, who started a professional career in 1997 and first reached the world number 1 spot in 2003, took her first break from tennis in 2007 to start a family. She gave birth to her first daughter Jada in February 2008 and came out of retirement to play her first tournaments at the Rogers Cup and at the Western and Southern Open in August 2009.

She made her first come-back on the Grand Slam stage as an unranked player after a 26-month-break to win the 2009 US Open, when she became the first mother to become a Grand Slam title since Evonne Goolalong at Wimbledon in 1980.

The Belgian legend successfully defended her title at the US Open in 2010. She returned to the top of the ranking with her triumph at the 2011 Australian Open.

Cljsters won 41 WTA Tour titles during her career and four Grand Slam trophies and three WTA Finals titles in 2002, 2013 and 2010. She gave birth to two more children Jake and Blake and has continued her work at her tennis academy.

“The love for the sport is obviously still there, but the question still is, am I capable of bringing to it to a level where I would like it to be at and where I want it to be at before I want to be at a high level of one of best women’s sports in the world. I don’t feel like I need to prove anything, but I want o challenge myself and I want to be strong again. Let’s see if I can get my body in shape to play tennis at a level where I would like it to be at, that I have in mind of where I would like to get to, and see if it’s possible. To see if my body is capable of even doing that”,said Cljsters.

 Cljsters will face a tough challenge against the new generation led by Bianca Andreescu, who won her first Grand Slam title at the US Open last week at the age of 19.

“There are times during the US Open when I see some of the tennis I think, No way, that’s not where I am going to be able to get to because it just looks like they are hitting the ball so much harder. I have always had that in me even when I was playing back in the day and I was ranked up five in the world. I always saw everybody, Oh my God, they move so well or they hit the ball so hard or they have so much variety in their game. I feel like that is getting better and I still have time to become tennis-fit again. We will see where it will end. It’s exciting and I am happy with being able to do this and that so far, it doesn’s influence my life as a mother”, said Cljsters in her interview to the WTA Website.   

 

Latest news

French Open Finalist Marketa Vondrousova Undergoes Surgery

It is a premature end to what has been a breakthrough season for the Czech.

Published

on

Czech rising star Marketa Vondrousova will miss the rest of the season after undergoing an operation on her left wrist.

 

The 20-year-old made the announcement on her Instagram account where she uploaded a picture of herself after undergoing the procedure. Vondrousova hasn’t played a match on the tour since Wimbledon, where she first sustained the injury. According to Czech media, she received treatment at the same facility which Petra Kvitova attended following a knife attack that severely injured her playing hand.

“For two months I tried to treat my wrist conservatively and tried everything possible. Unfortunately, nothing led to a significant improvement. That is why I decided on this solution, which should relieve me of my pain for good,” Vondrousova said is a statement issued by her team.
“Unfortunately for me, 2019 ended earlier than I wanted. I can’t wait to play back on the courts without pain anymore, she added.

The premature end draws the curtain on what has been a breakthrough season for Vondrousova. At the French Open she defeated Petra Martic and Johanna Konta en route to the final. Becoming the youngest player to do so at the tournament since Ana Ivanovic back in 2007. She was denied the title by Ash Barty, who prevailed in straight sets.

Yet to win a title, Vondrousova has managed to remain consistent on the tour by reaching the quarter-finals or better at six consecutive tournaments between February and June. Including the final of the Budapest Open. During that time, she managed to score two wins over Simona Halep. The highest ranked player she has defeated so far in her career.

Vondrousova is currently ranked 22nd in the world. She ends the season with a win-loss record of 29-9.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Jamie Murray Wants More Funding For Scottish Tennis Ahead Of Challenger Event

Jamie Murray wants more funding for Scottish Tennis after admitting disappointing response from the LTA.

Published

on

Jamie Murray (@the_LTA - Twitter)

Jamie Murray has spoken out on his frustration at the LTA for not giving Scottish enough funding ahead of the Glasgow Challenger event. 

 

The seven-time grand slam champion is getting ready for the Murray Trophy in Glasgow which begins this week where he will be competing.

However one of the concerns right now is the lack of funding it is receiving despite the success of the Murray brothers, who have won a combined ten grand slams between them.

Ahead of the event in Glasgow, the doubles specialist think more can be done to capitalise on their success, “I think so. Certainly from what we’ve achieved over the last however many years, going back to our junior days of playing,” Murray said to STV News.

“If you think about the Scottish players that have represented us in Davis Cup and won ties, I would say they do (deserve more funding), We’re a country after all, not a county.

“Things could have been better over the last ten years to make the most of what Andy has been achieving. Up here Tennis Scotland are doing their best to take things forward. We haven’t always had the best deal from the money that the LTA gets to hand out to Tennis Scotland.”

It’s certainly an issue that has been raging on for the last few years that both Andy and Jamie Murray have been very passionate about.

But only time will tell whether the Lawn Tennis Association listen to the concerns of the two men have been responsible for Great Britain’s recent tennis success.

As for Murray he will be partnering John-Patrick Smith in the event, which is taking place this week and is looking to continue his momentum after winning the US Open mixed doubles title.

Now for the Brit, his main goal is to win Wimbledon as he looks to achieve more doubles success, “It’s been exciting for me in the last few years to go to these level of tournaments and feel you’ve got a genuine chance to win,” Murray admitted.

“For me, Wimbledon would be the biggest goal until the end of my career, to win the men’s doubles. It didn’t work out for me this year but next year. There’s always next year.”

 

Continue Reading

Davis Cup

Juan Martin Del Potro Hits Back At Claim Made By Pique Over Davis Cup Involvement

It had been claimed that the former top 10 player was pondering playing in Madrid later this year.

Published

on

The team of former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro has denied that he has been involved in talks with Kosmos to play in the revamped Davis Cup later this year.

 

It had been claimed by Kosmos founder Gerard Pique that the Argentine has been in negotiations about playing the event, which has undergone a change in format. In November 18 teams will travel to Madrid to play in a week-long group competition. Similar to that of the football World Cup. A move that has divided opinion in the sport with critics arguing that the change is too radical.

“We are talking with Del Potro, (but) it obviously depends on the injury, see how he returns. But yes, we are in permanent contact with him.” Ubitennis’ Spanish-language site quoted Pique as saying.

Pique, who plays football for Barcelona F.C, was caught on audio saying the statement. However, it has now been suggested that he has either misspoken on even lied about del Potro. A statement issued by Del Potro’s communications team stated that no such thing has happened.

“TeamDelpo clarifies that there were no negotiations between the Kosmos Group and Juan Martin del Potro about the next Davis Cup in Madrid.” Their statement reads.
“We deny in this way the journalistic versions that speak of economic arrangements, “approaches”, “departures” or “concrete offers.”

The 30-year-old hasn’t played a match on the ATP Tour since injuring his knee at the Fever-Tree Championships in June. The latest setback for the injury-stricken player, who has undergone five surgeries since 2014. Del Potro is set to start his latest comeback in Europe at the Swedish Open, which will start on October 14th.

It has been rumoured that during the Davis Cup finals, Del Potro could play Roger Federer in an exhibition match in his home country on November 20th. Federer is another high-profile absentee from the team event. The potential clash has been reported by Argentinian journalist Danny Miche in his podcast. However, it is understood that nothing is finalised as of yet due to various economic factors.

There has been no response so far from Kosmos regarding Del Potro’s statement.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

De vuelta en una cancha! 🙌💪🔨🎾 . . Hitting again!

A post shared by Juan Martin del Potro (@delpotrojuan) on

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending