At next week’s US Open, one of the talking points of the women’s draw will be rising star Coco Gauff who will be making her main draw debut at Flushing Meadows.
The 15-year-old tennis prodigy grabbed the attention of many during the Wimbledon Championships. It was at the event where she became the youngest player in the Open Era to successfully qualify. Then she stunned former world No.1 Venus Williams, Magdalena Rybarikova and Polona Hercog en route to the fourth round. Where she lost to eventual champion Simona Halep.
Gauff’s rapid rise in the sport has caught the attention of both her rivals and sponsors. She already has deals with Barilla and New Balance. Amounting to an estimated $1 million, according to Forbes Magazine. Those brands will be hoping for the teenager to make another deep run at the final grand slam of the season. However, one former champion has warned against any potential success.
18-time grand slam champion Chris Evert is concerned that too much is happening to Gauff at a young age. Going as far as saying that success at the major event could be counterproductive. Gauff is currently ranked 141st in the world and is the youngest player in the top 500.
“I don’t know if it’d be necessarily great for her to win the Open.” Evert said during an interview with The New York Post.
“If she continues to play the way she is, have some big wins, still develop her game and be a normal 15-year-old with some semblance of privacy, then that’d be the most successful picture of her.’
“There’s no doubt there is Grand Slam potential in her, after watching her at Wimbledon. But I am very cautious because she is so young and so many things can happen between 15 and 20 (years old), mentally, physically, emotionally.”
Evert was 19 when she won her first major title at the 1974 French Open. In total she contested 34 grand slam finals over a 15-year period.
Earlier this week Gauff made an appearance at the Winston-Salem Open. A men’s tournament that is categorised as an ATP 250 event. She took to the court to play an exhibition match against world No.2 Ash Barty. Gauff edged out the reigning French Open champion 6-4, 2-6, [10-8].
“It was super fun. It’s different to kinda play in an atmosphere like that and not be in a tournament. It was cool to play with Ash and hopefully we can do it again sometime,” Gauff told reporters on Wednesday.
“I’m kind of sad to leave [Winston-Salem] because New York is busy but it was good to get the calm before the storm.”
Gauff will take on Russian world No.76 Anastasia Potapova in the first round of the US Open. There is a chance that she could play defending champion Naomi Osaka in the tournament if they both reach the third round.
Jamie Murray Wants More Funding For Scottish Tennis Ahead Of Challenger Event
Jamie Murray wants more funding for Scottish Tennis after admitting disappointing response from the LTA.
Jamie Murray has spoken out on his frustration at the LTA for not giving Scottish enough funding ahead of the Glasgow Challenger event.
The seven-time grand slam champion is getting ready for the Murray Trophy in Glasgow which begins this week where he will be competing.
However one of the concerns right now is the lack of funding it is receiving despite the success of the Murray brothers, who have won a combined ten grand slams between them.
Ahead of the event in Glasgow, the doubles specialist think more can be done to capitalise on their success, “I think so. Certainly from what we’ve achieved over the last however many years, going back to our junior days of playing,” Murray said to STV News.
“If you think about the Scottish players that have represented us in Davis Cup and won ties, I would say they do (deserve more funding), We’re a country after all, not a county.
“Things could have been better over the last ten years to make the most of what Andy has been achieving. Up here Tennis Scotland are doing their best to take things forward. We haven’t always had the best deal from the money that the LTA gets to hand out to Tennis Scotland.”
It’s certainly an issue that has been raging on for the last few years that both Andy and Jamie Murray have been very passionate about.
But only time will tell whether the Lawn Tennis Association listen to the concerns of the two men have been responsible for Great Britain’s recent tennis success.
As for Murray he will be partnering John-Patrick Smith in the event, which is taking place this week and is looking to continue his momentum after winning the US Open mixed doubles title.
Now for the Brit, his main goal is to win Wimbledon as he looks to achieve more doubles success, “It’s been exciting for me in the last few years to go to these level of tournaments and feel you’ve got a genuine chance to win,” Murray admitted.
“For me, Wimbledon would be the biggest goal until the end of my career, to win the men’s doubles. It didn’t work out for me this year but next year. There’s always next year.”
Juan Martin Del Potro Hits Back At Claim Made By Pique Over Davis Cup Involvement
It had been claimed that the former top 10 player was pondering playing in Madrid later this year.
The team of former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro has denied that he has been involved in talks with Kosmos to play in the revamped Davis Cup later this year.
It had been claimed by Kosmos founder Gerard Pique that the Argentine has been in negotiations about playing the event, which has undergone a change in format. In November 18 teams will travel to Madrid to play in a week-long group competition. Similar to that of the football World Cup. A move that has divided opinion in the sport with critics arguing that the change is too radical.
“We are talking with Del Potro, (but) it obviously depends on the injury, see how he returns. But yes, we are in permanent contact with him.” Ubitennis’ Spanish-language site quoted Pique as saying.
Pique, who plays football for Barcelona F.C, was caught on audio saying the statement. However, it has now been suggested that he has either misspoken on even lied about del Potro. A statement issued by Del Potro’s communications team stated that no such thing has happened.
“TeamDelpo clarifies that there were no negotiations between the Kosmos Group and Juan Martin del Potro about the next Davis Cup in Madrid.” Their statement reads.
“We deny in this way the journalistic versions that speak of economic arrangements, “approaches”, “departures” or “concrete offers.”
The 30-year-old hasn’t played a match on the ATP Tour since injuring his knee at the Fever-Tree Championships in June. The latest setback for the injury-stricken player, who has undergone five surgeries since 2014. Del Potro is set to start his latest comeback in Europe at the Swedish Open, which will start on October 14th.
It has been rumoured that during the Davis Cup finals, Del Potro could play Roger Federer in an exhibition match in his home country on November 20th. Federer is another high-profile absentee from the team event. The potential clash has been reported by Argentinian journalist Danny Miche in his podcast. However, it is understood that nothing is finalised as of yet due to various economic factors.
There has been no response so far from Kosmos regarding Del Potro’s statement.
View this post on Instagram
Hong Kong Open Postponed Due To Political Unrest
There is bad news for fans of the Asian tournament.
The next instalment of the Hong Kong Open has been put on hold after authorities decided to postpone the tournament due to mass protests taking place in the region.
Hong Kong has been rocked by unrest in recent weeks with many protesting against a controversial extradition bill that was put forward. Where residents of Hong Kong could be tried for their crimes in mainland China. The area has been a Special Administrative Region of China since 1997 after sovereignty was transferred from Britain. The bill has since been scrapped, however, protests for greater democratic reform are ongoing.
“As the winner of the WTA International event of the year award in 2018, we strive to maintain a high standard of the event for all participants, players and the fans in particular. However, after extensive discussions with our key stakeholders, we conclude that a smooth running of the tournament can be better assured at a later time.” A statement reads.
“The event organisers and WTA are in active discussion on identifying an alternate week for the hosting of the event. Further announcements will be made in due course.”
The tournament is currently held in Victoria Park, which was named after Queen Victoria. The park has become one of the rallying points where anti-government protesters gather. Other sports events and concerns have also been affected by the unrest in recent times. Both the Hong Kong ASTC Sprint Triathlon Asian Cup and the Asian Aquathlon Championships were cancelled over safety concerns.
It is unclear as to when the Hong Kong Open will be moved to or if it will take place at all in 2019. Discussions are currently ongoing with the WTA. Originally it was set to get underway on October 7th. Jelena Jankovic, Caroline Wozniacki and Dayana Yastremska are former champions of the event. It has been a regular fixture on the calendar since 2014.
Last year, more than 70,000 people attended the weeklong tournament, according to tournament figures.
Two WTA events will still take place during the week commencing October 7th. They will be in Linz, Austria and Tianjin, China.
Roger Federer To Play Duo Of Tennis Stars In South American Exhibitions
‘Relaxed’ Su-Wei Hsieh Saves Match Point To Oust Muguruza In Osaka
Roger Federer On Davis Cup And Olympic Plans For 2020
Novak Djokovic Eyes Tokyo Return As He Provides Injury Update
Mikhail Kukushkin beat Italian Next Gen star Jannick Sinner in St. Petersburg
Revitalized Roger Federer Sets Sight On Ending 11-Year US Open Title Drought
Roger Federer On Idols, Achievements and What Advice He Would Give To Others
Roger Federer Slams Claim He Influences Scheduling At US Open
Andy Roddick Rate The Chances Of The Big Three At The US Open
Mats Wilander Questions Federer’s US Open Hopes, Serena’s Consistency And Kyrgios’ Antics
(VIDEO) US Open Day 14: Rafael Nadal Ends The Tournament With An Extraordinary Win
(VIDEO) US Open Day 12: Bianca Andreescu Is The Queen Of New York
(VIDEO) US Open Day 12: Daniil Medvedev Stands In The Way Of Nadal’s 19th Grand Slam Title
(VIDEO) US Open Day 11: Why Bianca Andreescu Toppling Williams Will Not Be A Shock
(VIDEO) US Open Day 10: Matteo Berrettini Survives Epic To Book Showdown With Nadal
ATP3 days ago
Roger Federer Can Win Australian Open, Says Laver
Focus3 days ago
Nao Hibino beats Misaki Doi in all-Japanese final in Hiroshima
Davis Cup2 days ago
Juan Martin Del Potro Hits Back At Claim Made By Pique Over Davis Cup Involvement
Focus3 days ago
Karolina Pliskova lifts her fourth title of the season in Zhengzhou
ATP2 days ago
ATP Cup Draw Places Andy Murray On Collision Course With Federer
ATP2 days ago
‘Looks Like He Should Be Suspended’ – Pat Rafter Questions ATP’s Management Of Nick Kyrgios
WTA2 days ago
Rebecca Peterson clinches her maiden WTA title
Hot Topics1 day ago
Despite New WTA Guidelines, Could Kim Clijsters’ Return Be Marred By Aberration?