Andy Murray Pondering Return To Challenger Tour Following Winston-Salem Exit - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Andy Murray Pondering Return To Challenger Tour Following Winston-Salem Exit

The former world No.1 reflects on his latest tour match as his comeback gains momentum.

Published

on

Three-time grand slam champion Andy Murray believes he is heading in the right direction after losing in the first round of the Winston-Salem Open.

 

Murray, who is still on the comeback from injury, went out 7-6(8), 7-5, to Tennys Sandgren. Despite the loss, there were positives in the match as he battled on the court for more than two hours. During the first set he remained unbroken, but was edged out in the tiebreaker. However, in the second the Brit dropped serve three times as Sangren held his nerve to close out the match. Overall, Murray won 72% of his first service points and saved four out of the seven break points he faced against the world No.73.

This week was only the second time Murray had contested a singles match on the ATP Tour since January. The 32-year-old underwent hip resurfacing surgery earlier this season and has said he is now ‘pain-free.’ He began his return in June by focusing on doubles matches to begin with before resuming his singles campaign last week at the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati, where he lost in the first round to Richard Gasquet.

“Some things were a bit better today, I think. I was hitting the ball a bit cleaner than I did in Cincinnati. It’s quite a different match-up, so the movements and the way the points are getting played is quite a bit different to last week, but probably from the back of the court I played a little bit cleaner than I did last week, which was good.” Murray said after his match with Sandgren.
“I feel like I moved fairly well to some drop shots, which maybe last week I wasn’t running to to, so there was some good things there, but there’s also some stuff I’d like to do better.”

It was a later than expected start to Murray’s match. He was scheduled to take on Sangren at 19:00 local time, but rain delayed their match by three hours. In the end, their clash finished at 12:25am.

“I was fine playing tonight, but obviously it was unfortunate with the conditions and stuff like they were today. But it was better for me to play today.” He said.

Eager to return back to his top form, the former world No.1 has hinted that he may return back to the Challenger tour in order to build up his game. Should he do that, it would be the first time he has played at that level since October 2005. An option could be to play a Challenger event prior to the start of the Asian swing.

“I’m quite aware of sort of where I’m at just now and what my level is. It’s competitive at this level but it needs to be better,” Murray told the atptour.com.
“Maybe I need to play a level down to get some matches and build my game up a little bit before I start playing on the Tour again.”

Murray’s conqueror Sandgren will take on second seed Denis Shapovalov in the last 16 on Tuesday.

ATP

Stefanos Tsitsipas, Gilles Simon and Felix Auger Aliassime reach the the semifinal in Marseille

Published

on

Defending champion Stefanos Tsitsipas edged past Vasek Pospisil 7-5 6-3 after 1 hour and 17 minutes to reach the semifinal at the Open 13 Provence in Marseille.

 

Both players stayed neck and neck until 5-5, before Tsitsipas earned his first break, when Pospisil hit a backhand long. The Greek star wrapped up the first set with an ace after 45 minutes.

Tsitsipas claimed his second break at 3-3 with a backhand return and reeled off 10 consecutive points to seal the second set 6-3.

Tsitsipas fired 8 aces and won 26 of his 30 first service points.

“It was not easy. I knew I would have to fight and be dynamic. He plays a very aggressive brand of tennis, so every point has to be treated respectfully. I played with passion and patience, and my fighting spirit, when I am in the right zone. It means good things can happen”, said Tsitsipas.

Gilles Simon cruised through to an upset 6-4 6-0 win over Danil Medvedev to advance to the semifinal. Simon converted five of his six break point chances and lost his serve only once.

The French veteran will take on Felix Auger Aliassime, who beat Egor Gerasimov 7-5 6-2. The young Canadian star broke serve four times and and won 83 % of his first serve points.

Gerasimov earned an early break in the first game to open up a 2-0 lead, but Auger Aliassime came back by winning two consecutive games to win the opening set 7-5. Auger Aliassime converted his fourth break point in the second game to open up a 3-0 lead and sealed the second set with another break in the eighth game.

Continue Reading

ATP

Alexander Bublik reaches his third career semifinal with win over Denis Shapovalov in Marseille

Published

on

Alexander Bublik reached the third ATP Tour semifinal of his career after beating Canadian Canadian Next Gen player Denis Shapovalov 7-5 4-6 6-3 after 2 hours and 18 minutes at the Open 13 Provence in Marseille.

 

Bublik fended off a total of four break points in the first set, including three chances from 0-40, got the break in the 12th game to close out the first set 7-5, when Shapovalov hit a forehand volley wide at 30-40 after 45 minutes.

Both players traded breaks at the start of the second set. Bublik did not convert three break points at 3-2, when he hit a forehand into the net on his first break point chance. Shapovalov broke serve in the seventh game to take a 4-3 lead with a drop shot and wrapped up the second set with his third ace.

Bublik opened up a 2-0 lead with a break in the second game of the third set. Shapovalov broke straight back in the third game. Bublik got another break lead in the eighth lead at 15, when Shapovalov hit a forehand wide. Bublik sealed the win with a hold at love.

“He is a great player and serve. It was our first match, but I have known him for a very long time. I was happy to break in the first set, then in the second set he was better, and I had my chances in the third and I held on. So I am very happy”,said Bublik.

Continue Reading

ATP

Milos Raonic, Steve Johnson, Frances Tiafoe and Ugo Humbert reach the quarter final in Delray Beach

Published

on

Milos Raonic hit 11 aces and saved the three break points he faced to beat German Cedrik Marcel Stebe 7-5 6-3 after 1 hour and 36 minutes reaching the quarter final at the Delray Beach, an ATP Tour 250 tournament.

 

Raonic earned a break in each set. Stebe earned a break point in the ninth game with a forehand down the line, but Raonic saved it with a forehand. Raonic faced two more break points in the 11th game, but Raonic saved them with service winners. Raonic earned a break with a forehand down the line winner in the 12th game to close out the first set 7-5. Raonicwon four consecutive points on return to earn a break and closed out the match 6-3 with a hold of serve.

“I got lucky through that first set and then I tried to be a bit more aggressive, create more things and that put a bit more pressure on him. It opened up the match for me a bit more”, said Raonic.

Raonic set up a quarter final against Steve Johnson, who edged past his compatriot Jack Sock 6-4 5-7 6-1 after 2 hours and 5 minutes to reach his first quarter final at ATP Tour level in six months. Johnson came back from losing the second set by racing out to a 5-0 lead.

“This is just one of those tournaments where you feel comfortable coming back every year. It’s great to see Sock back. I thought he played a really good second set and I just got bit of a momentum in the third set”, said Johnson.

French Next Gen player Ugo Humbert edged Miomir Kecmanovic 6-4 7-6 (8-6) after 1 hour and 42 minutes to reach his third quarter final in 2020. Humbert fended off eight of the ten break points he faced and earned three breaks to win the last four games of the first set from 2-4 down. Humbert broke Kecmanovic, as the Serbian player was serving for the second set at 6-5. The Frenchman saved a set point and came back from 5-6 down by winning the final three points of the tie-break to clinch the win after 1 hour and 43 minutes. Humbert has improved his win-loss record this year to 8-3.

“It’s always tough to play against Miomir, because he is a great player. He always plays at a high level. I lost to him last week and I was a little bit stressed before the match, so I am very happy to get the win today. You have to enjoy the victory because it’s not easy every week. Winning in Auckland gave me a lot of confidence. I beat some great players, but I have to continue my improvement every day”,said Humbert.

Humbert will face US player Frances Tiafoe, who battled past Tommy Paul 7-5 7-6 (7-4). Both players stayed neck and neck in the first set until the 11th game when Tiafoe earned a break with a return winner. He served out the set 7-5 with a service winner in the 12th game.

Paul earned a break in the sixth game, but he dropped his serve, while he serving for the set at 5-3. Tiafoe closed out the match with a backhand crosscourt winner at 6-4 in the tie-break.

“It’s never easy playing a good friend. It’s awkward, but I thought it was a pretty good match overall. My forehand was definitely on, so that helped. I am starting to play good tennis again and just competing hard in every match”,said Tiafoe.  

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending