Karen Khachanov Working With Former No.3 Davydenko On ‘Unofficial' Basis - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Karen Khachanov Working With Former No.3 Davydenko On ‘Unofficial’ Basis

Will Davydenko become the newest super-coach of men’s tennis?

Avatar

Published

on

Karen Khachanov (image obtained via ubitennis.com)

When Russia’s Karen Khachanov turned up at the Citi Open he was accompanied by a familiar figure in men’s tennis.

 

The world No.8 has been spotted on the practice courts seeking input from Nikolay Davydenko. A four-time grand slam semi-finalist who retired from the sport in 2014. Prompting speculation that the former world No.3 has joined Khachanov’s team in some way.

Questioned about the collaboration on Monday in Washington, Khachanov has confirmed that there is currently no official agreement in place between the two. However, there is a chance that Davydenko could join his team in the near future.

“We started to train in Moscow, so that’s the preparation I’ve had with him. It’s was for 10, 11 days and then I asked him to come here (to Washington) as well.” Khachanov told tennis.life.
“We just started with him. I don’t want to make any official announcement yet, but he started to help me two weeks ago. Hopefully he can join the team.”

In a recent interview with Sport Express, the former player said he had previously turned down the offer of becoming Khachanov’s coach. Saying that he didn’t have enough time for the role. It is unclear if his view has changed since that interview, which was published on July 8th.

“He told me so: the offer is open. But I am busy now and I can’t stop to help him.” Davydenko said.
“This (coaching) is very hard work. It seems to me even harder than being a player. The coach is much more worried.’
“The coach controls every little detail: when to eat, pass the rackets to the stringers, take the balls. It seems like little things, but who does everything? Trainer. And if you lost, who is to blame? Trainer.”

Khachanov is currently at a career ranking high at the age of 23. He has achieved a win-loss record of 18-16 so far this season, but is yet to contest a final on the tour. He has scored two top 10 wins so far in 2019 over John Isner and Juan Martin del Potro.

The next test for Khachanov will be at this week’s Citi Open where he is the second seed behind Stefanos Tsitsipas. He will play French veteran Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in his opening match.

ATP

Rafael Nadal Apologizes To Opponent After Wimbledon Win

The Spaniard admits he made a mistake.

Avatar

Published

on

Image via https://twitter.com/atptour/

Rafael Nadal said he was ‘wrong’ to call his opponent to the net during the third set of their third round match at Wimbledon.

The 22-time Grand Slam champion booked his place in the last 16 of the tournament by defeating Lorenzo Sonego 6-1, 6-2, 6-4. Nadal, who hasn’t won Wimbledon for more than a decade, was out in full flow as he raced to a two-set and 4-2 lead. At that point, Sonego managed to get the roof to be closed due to poor lighting.

After speaking to the umpire, Nadal called his opponent to the net for a discussion over what is believed to be about the noise he was making during the match. After losing his 4-2 advantage, Nadal battled back by breaking once again to secure victory.

“Well, first of all, I have to say that I was wrong. Probably I should not call him on the net. So I apologize for that. My mistake in that. No problem. I recognise that,” said Nadal.
Then after that, all the stuff during the match that I don’t want to comment (on), because is something that I spoke with him in the locker room and it stays there. Only thing I can say is I saw him personally. I apologise for that.
“My intention was never to bother him at all. Just to tell one thing that was bothering me that I think he was doing in that moment, but that’s it.
“I think there is some code between players. Yeah, we had some issues there. But that’s it.”


The two shared a lengthy exchange at the net after the conclusion of the match and there were no hard feelings between either player.

Controversy aside, Nadal has hailed what he believed is his best performance at The All England Club yet. Against Soego, he won 73% of his service points and hit 24 winners.

“It was my best match, without a doubt, since the tournament started,” said Nadal. “I have made improvements and I’m very happy.’
“I’ve made I think a lot of things much better than the previous days, the determination, the way that I manage to play more aggressively and going to the net plenty of times.”

 

Nadal will play Dutch world number 25 Botic van de Zandschulp in the last 16. 

Continue Reading

ATP

“Every Match Is A War” – Carlos Alcaraz Excels With Best Performance Yet At Wimbledon

The world No.7 reacts to his latest win ahead of a showdown with a fellow rising star of the sport.

Avatar

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) - Credit: AELTC/Simon Bruty

Carlos Alcaraz believes he is quickly finding his footing on the grass after storming into the fourth round of Wimbledon on Friday.

Alcaraz, who is playing in only his second grass-court tournament as a pro player, blasted his way past Germany’s Oscar Otte 6-3, 6-1, 6-2, in exactly 100 minutes. The Spaniard dropped only 14 points behind his serve as he hit a total of 37 winners against eight unforced errors.

“I played unbelievable. This was my best performance so far. So I’m really happy with the level, and I will try to keep this level into the next round.” Alcaraz said afterwards.

The 19-year-old has been a revelation on the Tour this season which has already seen him crack the world’s top 10 and win two Masters 1000 titles. He currently holds the record for the youngest player to ever win an ATP 500 event, as well as being the youngest to score back-to-back wins over Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic in the same tournament.

In one way Alcaraz’s rapid rise in the sport is illustrated by his current campaign at Wimbledon. In the first round he found it tough going throughout his five-set win over Germany’s Jan-Lennard Struff. Learning from that experience, his form improved in the second round against Tallon Griekspoor (who he defeated in straight sets) and even more so against Otte.

“Every match is a war. Every match you can play unbelievable or you can play your worst match,” he explains. “Obviously Monday was my first match on grass (this year). It was really tough. Struff played unbelievable.’
“After four, five days the training, the matches, you learn how to play more on grass, how to move more on grass.”
“Now I feel more comfortable playing on grass, and I feel better on grass right now.”


Alcaraz’s next ‘war’ will be another rising star of the Tour – Jannik Sinner. A player who is less than two years older than him. They locked horns last year at the Paris Masters where the Spaniard prevailed in two close sets. Alcaraz also won their meeting at a Challenger event in Alicante back in 2019.

With a place in a Grand Slam quarter-final at stake, it is expected to be a tough battle. Although a challenge is something Alcaraz thrives on.

“Playing against Jannik is always tough. I like to play these kinds of matches, these kinds of challenges.” He said.
“On grass you have to play aggressive, you have to go to the net, you have to try to play more aggressively than the opponent. That’s my idea that I try in every match, to not let the opponent dominate the match.” He added.

The upcoming showdown will be Alcaraz’s sixth Tour-level match on grass which is only two less than that of Sinner. 

 

Continue Reading

ATP

Novak Djokovic Shrugs Off Threat Of Covid-19 Outbreak At Wimbledon

The world No.3 explains why he is not ‘overconcenred’ about COVID-19 at the Grand Slam.

Avatar

Published

on

Novak Djokovic (SRB) - Credit: AELTC/Florian Eisele

Novak Djokovic says the possibility of a COVID-19 outbreak at Wimbledon is one that doesn’t concern him too much after a trio of top-20 players withdrew.

Earlier this week Marin Cilic, Matteo Berrettini and Roberto Bautista Agut all withdrew from the tournament after testing positive for the virus. Unlike the strict protocols that were in place last year, The All England Club has based its policy on local health advice. Where it is recommended that a person takes action if they have symptoms of the virus but they are not required to do so.

With fewer testing measures in place at Wimbledon, there is a high possibility that there are people working on site carrying COVID-19 without realizing it. However, the threat to players is one that reigning champion Djokovic is not too concerned about.

“I did visit the city (London) a few times before the tournament started but I’m not overconcerned about anything. I’m just trying to stay healthy, focused and play the tournament.” Djokovic said following his third round win.
“I’m not thinking about whether or not I’m going to catch COVID. But being cautious is something that is a necessity I think for everyone, and particularly because we have been through what we’ve been through in the last two years.”

 

Djokovic is one of the few top players who didn’t have a vaccination against covid. Resulting in him having a high-profile legal dispute with Australian authorities which resulted in his deportation and him missing the Australian Open. The tennis star later explained that he didn’t want to be vaccinated as he is cautious about what will be injected into his body. Even though the vaccine has been approved by the World Health Organization.

However, nemesis Rafael Nadal said on Thursday that he is taking extra precautions due to the threat. To common knowledge, there is no rule in place preventing a player who tests positive for Covid from playing in the Grand Slam.

“I am not doing many things. Just staying here (at Wimbledon) and staying in the house, not going out at all anymore. That’s part of this challenging world that we are facing in the last couple of years.” Nadal said.
“I am not saying that we are not doing things the proper way because at some point we need to open everything again, we need to be free, have a normal life.”

According to the National Office of Statistics (ONS) it is estimated that 1 in 30 people currently have the virus in the UK in the week ending June 24th.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending