Roger Federer, Kevin Anderson And Marin Cilic Handed Seeding Boost for Wimbledon - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Roger Federer, Kevin Anderson And Marin Cilic Handed Seeding Boost for Wimbledon

The full list of seeds for the grass-court major have been confirmed.

Avatar

Published

on

The seeds for this year’s Wimbledon Championships have been announced with the world No.1 of both the men’s and women’s tour set to head the draws.

 

The grass-court major is the only grand slam is the world to calculate their men’s seeds in accordance with a unique formula. Taking into account how a player has performed on the grass in recent months. This therefore means that some players could be seeded higher or lower than their world ranking, which was recently criticised by Rafael Nadal.

Reigning champion Novak Djokovic heads the field. The Serbian is already a four-time winner at Wimbledon and will be bidding to win back-to-back titles for a second time in his career. He first did so in 2014 and 2015.

“Wimbledon is for me and many players the most important tournament in the world.” Djokovic told reporters earlier this week.
“It was a huge turning point last year for me coming back from surgery and dropping out of the top 20 to win Wimbledon. It meant a lot for my confidence.”

The controversy over the seeding formula starts with second place. Roger Federer, who recently won in Halle, has been placed ahead of Nadal. Despite being ranked third in the world. Federer has won the men’s title more times than anybody else in the history of Wimbledon. As a result, it is likely that should all four seeds progress to the semi-finals, Nadal might play Djokovic, and Federer may play Kevin Anderson.

“They do it differently to everyone else and you have to respect that, although it is a little bit surprising,” said Djokovic.
“Roger Federer is the greatest of all-time on grass courts and he has won more Wimbledon titles than anyone else in history, but the guy he is being moved ahead of in the seeings is Rafael Nadal.
“For that reason, it is surprising a little bit, but it is what it is.”

2018 runner-up Anderson, who has an ATP ranking of eighth, is one of the player’s to benefit from the seeding formula the most. The South African is on the comeback from an elbow injury and has only played one tournament since Miami. Others have a boost include John Isner to ninth (WR 12), Marin Cilic to 13th (WR 18th) and Gilles Simon to 20th (WR 25th).

Meanwhile, 18-year-old Felix Auger-Alissame will have a top 20 seeding for the first time in his career at 20th.

The men’s seeding calculation
-Take the ATP Ranking points at 24 June 2019
-Add 100% of the points earned for all grass court tournaments in the immediate past 12 month period prior to 24 June 2019
-Add 75% of the points earned for the best grass court tournament in the 12 months prior to that

In the women’s draw, the placement of players is a lot more simplified. No formula is used and the seedings are based on the WTA rankings. However, exceptions can be made by the Wimbledon committee if they deem it necessary for a ‘balanced draw.’

Ash Barty is the first Australian woman to top the seeds since Margaret Court back in 1973. The world No.1 is currently on a 12-match winning streak after claiming her first grand slam title at the French Open, followed by winning the Birmingham Classic last week. Barty won the girls title at Wimbledon back in 2011.

Naomi Osaka, who is yet to progress beyond the third round of the tournament, will be the second seed. Osaka lost her No.1 ranking to Barty on Monday.

Also in the top five is Karolina Pliskova, Kiki Bertens and Angelique Kerber. Kerber is the defending champion.

Full seedings

Gentlemen’s Singles
1 DJOKOVIC, Novak (SRB) – WR 1
2 FEDERER, Roger (SUI) – WR 3
3 NADAL, Rafael (ESP) – WR 2
4 ANDERSON, Kevin (RSA) – WR 8
5 THIEM, Dominic (AUT) – WR 4
6 ZVEREV, Alexander (GER) – WR 5
7 TSITSIPAS, Stefanos (GRE) – WR 6
8 NISHIKORI, Kei (JPN) – WR 7
9 ISNER, John (USA) – WR 12
10 KHACHANOV, Karen (RUS) – WR 9
11 MEDVEDEV, Daniil (RUS) – WR 13
12 FOGNINI, Fabio (ITA) – WR 10
13 CILIC, Marin (CRO) – WR 18
14 CORIC, Borna (CRO) – WR 14
15 RAONIC, Milos (CAN) – WR 17
16 MONFILS, Gael (FRA) – WR 15
17 BERRETTINI, Matteo (ITA) – WR 20
18 BASILASHVILI, Nikoloz (GEO) – WR 16
19 AUGER-ALIASSIME, Felix (CAN) – WR 21
20 SIMON, Gilles (FRA) – WR 25
21 GOFFIN, David (BEL) – WR 23
22 WAWRINKA, Stan (SUI) – WR 19
23 BAUTISTA AGUT, Roberto (ESP) – WR 22
24 SCHWARTZMAN, Diego (ARG) – WR 24
25 DE MINAUR, Alex (AUS) – WR 29
26 PELLA, Guido (ARG) – WR 26
27 POUILLE, Lucas (FRA) – WR 28
28 PAIRE, Benoit (FRA) – WR 32
29 SHAPOVALOV, Denis (CAN) – WR 27
30 EDMUND, Kyle (GBR) – WR 31
31 DJERE, Laslo (SRB) – WR 30
32 LAJOVIC, Dusan (SRB) – WR 33

WR = world ranking (as of 24th June 2019)

Ladies’ Singles
1 BARTY, Ashleigh (AUS)
2 OSAKA, Naomi (JPN)
3 PLISKOVA, Karolina (CZE)
4 BERTENS, Kiki (NED)
5 KERBER, Angelique (GER)
6 KVITOVA, Petra (CZE)
7 HALEP, Simona (ROU)
8 SVITOLINA, Elina (UKR)
9 STEPHENS, Sloane (USA)
10 SABALENKA, Aryna (BLR)
11 WILLIAMS, Serena (USA)
12 SEVASTOVA, Anastasija (LAT)
13 BENCIC, Belinda (SUI)
14 WOZNIACKI, Caroline (DEN)
15 WANG, Qiang (CHN)
16 VONDROUSOVA, Marketa (CZE)
17 KEYS, Madison (USA)
18 GOERGES, Julia (GER)
19 KONTA, Johanna (GBR)
20 KONTAVEIT, Anett (EST)
21 MERTENS, Elise (BEL)
22 VEKIC, Donna (CRO)
23 GARCIA, Caroline (FRA)
24 MARTIC, Petra (CRO)
25 ANISIMOVA, Amanda (USA)
26 MUGURUZA, Garbine (ESP)
27 KENIN, Sofia (USA)
28 HSIEH, Su-Wei (TPE)
29 KASATKINA, Daria (RUS)
30 SUAREZ NAVARRO, Carla (ESP)
31 SAKKARI, Maria (GRE)
32 TSURENKO, Lesia (UKR)

ATP

Unseeded Ugo Humbert Becomes First Player In Over A Decade To Win Halle On Debut

The 22-year-old fired nine aces and 29 winners to claim his first ATP 500 title.

Avatar

Published

on

image via https://twitter.com/ATPHalle

France’s Ugo Humbert has clinched his maiden ATP title on the grass after defeating Andrey Rublev in straight sets at the Noventi Open in Halle.

 

Humbert remained unbroken throughout his 6-3, 7-6(4), win over the Russian fourth seed who has won more matches on the ATP Tour than any other player since the start of 2020 (74). The Frenchman was particularly impressive behind serve where he won 83% of his first service points and 55% on his second. It is the first time he has beaten Rublev on the Tour after losing to him on two previous occasions in 2019 (Monte Carlo) and 2020 (St. Petersburg).

“It’s incredible,” said Humbert. “The best victory of my career. I’m very proud because it wasn’t easy, I was a little but tired today but I tried to stay focused on each point. It’s very nice.”

The triumph concludes what has been a marathon week in Halle for the 22-year-old. En route to the final he had to come through four three-set matches where he scored wins over Sam Querrey, Alexander Zverev, Sebastian Korda and Felix-Auger Aliassime. Becoming only the second player in Halle’s 28-year history to have reached the final by playing only three-set matches.

Meanwhile, runner-up Rublev paid tribute to his opponent following their clash. The world No.7 is now 1-2 in finals played so far this season after winning Rotterdam before losing to Stefanos Tsitsipas in Monte Carlo. To put that into perspective, in 2020 he won all six finals he played in.

“I have often told my coach that you play in an incredible way,” he said. “You have everything to be a very great player. So keep working, doing everything you do. You play very well, you have incredible shots. I wish you a great career.”

Humbert, who won two ATP titles last year in Auckland and Antwerp, is the first player to win Halle on the debut since 2010. On that occasion Lleyton Hewitt prevailed over Roger Federer in the final. He is now projected to rise to a ranking high of 25 on Monday when the ATP standings are officially updated.

The Frenchman will be hoping that he can continue his winning streak heading to Wimbledon where he reached the fourth round back in 2019. His best ever result in a Grand Slam to date.

Continue Reading

ATP

David Goffin Out Of Wimbledon Following Halle Accident

It has been reported that the unfortunate injury he suffered is ‘more serious’ than a sprain.

Avatar

Published

on

David Goffin has been forced to withdraw from Wimbledon after suffering an ankle injury during the Noventi Open earlier this week.

 

The former top 10 player was taking on Corentin Moutet in Halle where he slipped on the grass and subsequently hurt his right ankle. Forcing the Belgian to retire from the match at the start of the third set. Providing an update on Goffin’s health, agent Martin Roux said he is unsure how long he will be absent from the Tour for.

“Yes, David has officially withdrawn from Wimbledon following his ankle injury in Halle. For the moment we do not know more about the exact duration of unavailability, ” Roux told lesoir.be. “He is of course disappointed to miss a Grand Slam tournament, especially since he had recovered well on grass before his injury. “

Elaborating further, Roux confirmed Goffin’s injury is ‘more serious’ than a sprain and tests are ongoing to assess the extent of the damage which has been caused to the ankle. It is not the first time he has suffered a freak accident on the court. During the 2018 Rotterdam Open he hurt his eye after a tennis ball rebounded into his face, forcing him to pull out of Marseille and Indian Wells that year.

“David told me that it was more serious than a minor sprain, after exams in Belgium.”Roux added. “The ankle has not yet deflated (stopped swelling). David realizes that ice and bandages won’t be enough to play. The ligaments must be affected in one way or another. The idea is to do new exams at the end of the week in order to then have a healing protocol, especially since after Wimbledon the Olympic Games will arrive quickly. These are now his next goals. “

The 30-year-old has achieved a win-loss record of 14-13 so far in 2021 and won his fifth ATP title in Montpellier. He has also reached the semi-finals in Antalya and quarter-finals in Monte Carlo. However, recently Goffin has struggled on the Tour with Halle being the fifth tournament in a row where he has failed to win back-to-back matches.

Goffin is currently ranked 13th in the world.

Continue Reading

ATP

Dominic Thiem Follows Nadal In Olympic Games Snub

The world No.5 says his decision is related to his performance on the Tour so far this season.

Avatar

Published

on

Dominic Thiem training at the 2021 Lyon Open (photographer Sammy Dancyger - Owned by Sport Plus Conseil - GM Sports Consulting)

Austria’s Dominic Thiem has pulled out of the Olympic Games in order to focus on his title defence at the US Open later this year.

 

The 27-year-old issued a statement on Thursday saying he was ‘not ready’ to play in Tokyo following what has been a roller-coaster start to the season. Thiem enters Wimbledon with a win-loss record of 9-8 and recently lost in the first round of the French Open. His best results so far this year were reaching the last 16 of the Australian Open and the semi-finals of the Madrid Open.

“Hi everybody, I have some sad news to share with you all. After talking with my team and analysing the situation I have taken the very difficult decision to withdraw from competing in the Tokyo Olympics,” the 27-year-old Austrian wrote on Twitter.
“For me, like all athletes, taking part in the Olympics and representing my country is a huge honour and that makes this decision even tougher.
“However, 2021 did not start as expected and I don’t feel ready to play my best in Tokyo.
“My goal is to work hard the coming weeks, give my best at Wimbledon and keep training and hopefully defend my US Open title.”

Thiem, who also skipped the 2016 Olympics, had previously said that his views on the multi-sport event have changed over recent time. During one interview with Tennis Deutschland he said it would be a ‘dream’ to play at the Olympics and he would ‘definitely play’ at the event if he had the chance to. Thiem is coached on the Tour by Nicolas Massu who won a gold medal back in 2004.

The world No.5 says he hopes to be able to play at the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris where the tennis tournament will be held at Roland Garros. The same venue as the French Open.

On the same day as Thiem’s announcement on Thursday, Rafael Nadal was another player to confirm he would not be travelling to Tokyo, as well as Wimbledon, in order to recover from the clay season. The Spaniard said he wants to take a break from the Tour in order to preserve his body and prolong his career on the Tour.

The Olympic tennis event will take place between July 24th – August 1st. Andy Murray is the defending champion in the men’s tournament.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending