All Options On The Table For French Open Chiefs As Rain Causes Havoc - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

All Options On The Table For French Open Chiefs As Rain Causes Havoc

Tournament director Guy Forget has said officials are pondering what to do next after Thursday’s order of play got cancelled.

Published

on

Roland Garros 2019, pioggia (via Twitter, @rolandgarros)

Delaying both the men’s and women’s finals by a day is among the possibilities being contemplated by the chiefs of the French Open as a result of poor weather.

 

Thursday’s play at the grand slam had to be cancelled due to persistent rain. Meaning both Novak Djokovic and Dominic Thiem will have to play their quarter-final matches tomorrow. A day before the men’s semi-finals. Meanwhile, some of the women’s players could have to play three days in a row if the women’s final still takes place on the Saturday.

“The issue for us is for the tournament to continue with enough time for players, both men and women, to recover and to have similar recovery time.” Tournament director Guy Forget said on Wednesday.
“We will see what happens for the Sunday and Saturday (final) matches.’
“At present we are studying all possibilities and all scenarios in order to progress in the tournament as best as possible.” He added.

The scheduling could get more complicated later this week with poor weather also forecasted for the Friday. Which is semi-finals day. Should that happen, officials may have no other choice than to extend the tournament by another day.

“If we have to move the final the following day, it’s something that could happen.” Forget admits. “We have done it with the men’s, if you remember, with Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic (2012 final).” It’s not what we hope, but if we have no other choice, then that’s what we will do.”
“And with the women’s, exact same thing. Hopefully we’ll be able to conclude the women on time and we keep our fingers crossed that we might play through the drops, especially on Friday.”

Another idea being pondered is the use of the Simonne Mathieu arena, which has a capacity of 5000 people. The court was used this year for the first time at the French Open and it has proven to be a hit with both players and fans. It cost an estimated 360M euros to build.

“You are always afraid that some players may think it’s a lack of respect or we have diminished it. But we want to see players in the best possible condition and if we have to make the tough call to move players to a smaller court, it’s a possibility,” said Forget.

It is only the third time since 2000 that an entire day of play has been cancelled at the tournament due to rain. An issue that will no longer occur from 2020 when the Philippe Chatrier Court is fitted with a retractable roof. Making the French Open the last major to have one.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest news

Stefanos Tsitsipas and Matteo Berrettini join impressive line-up at Mouratoglou’s Ultimate Tennis Showdown

Published

on

Last year’s ATP Finals champion Stefanos Tsitsipas and 2019 US Open champion Matteo Berrettini are the latest addition to the Ultimate Tennis Showdown, the tennis exhibition tournament organized by Patrick Mouratoglou in his Academy in Southern France.

 

“I like this approach. It’s a different concept. It looks very fresh and modernised. I like when there is a technical evolution, not just in tennis”, said Tsitsipas to Alizé Lim in Major Talk.

The line-up features an impressive line-up that includes Felix Auger Aliassime, David Goffin, Alexei Popiryn, Lucas Pouille, Dustin Brown, Richard Gasquet and Benoit Paire. Mouratoglou will announce the 10th player soon. UTS organizers promised that the remaining player to take part in this tournament would be a top 10 player.

The tournament will start on 13th June and will take place during the weekends. It will consist of 50 matches in a round-robin format.

“I am looking forward to connecting with my fans virtually and taking part in this new experience. From 13th June live tennis returns. Like never before”, posted Tsitsipas on his twitter account.

 No fans will be in attendance, but Mouratoglou has spoken of his desire to have technology aid in fan interaction.

Continue Reading

Latest news

All 1000 tickets for the Adria Tour are sold out

Published

on

All 1000 tickets for the charity sports event “Adria Tour” have been sold in record seven minutes. The tournament will feature three top 10 players Novak Djokovic, Dominic Thiem and Alexander Zverev.

 

The tournament organised by Novak Djokovic will make its debut from 12 to 14 June. The exhibition tournament will also feature three legs in Zadar (20-21 June), Montenegro (27-28 June) and Banja Luka (3-4 July) and an exhibition match between Novak Djokovic and Damir Dzumhur in Sarajevo on 5 July.

According to the company Ticket Vision, which was officially selling the tickets on their website and at box offices, the public interest for the tournament, which will be held in Belgrade from 12th JUne to 14th June in Belgrade, was incredible. For all those, who did not manage to get the tickets, we have good news, we have decided to release another 1000 tickets on Friday, while respecting the recommended measures of safety and appropriate social distance of at least one metre between spectators.

Organizers also announced that they would release another 1000 tickets for the two days and follow recommended measures of safety and appropriate social distance of at least one metre between spectators.

According to local press, Djokovic’s coach Goran Ivanisevic said that organizers are planning to have 4500 fans. Ivanisevic is helpiing organize the tournament in Zadar (Croatia). Croatian players Marin Cilic and Borna Coric will also play in the Adria Cup.

“The tournament will be played on clay. We were ready for hard court, but Djokovic’s team still decided for clay. We are waiting for the final confirmation of the number of fans that will be allowed to us. It will be a stadium for nine thousand people that will be installed this week. I hope that it will allow us half of that capacity for the audience to see the best players in the world. This is a great opportunity to show Zadar and Croatia in a beautiful light, as a corona-free country and invite tourists. Zadar proved to be not only a basketball city but also a tennis city with those Davis Cup matches that it organized incredibly. I have no doubt that this organization will go well and that all our guests and tennis players, who come from outside will extremely satisfied”, said Ivanisevic.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Riccardo Piatti: “I have already spoke with Carlos Moya. I would like Jannik Sinner to train with Rafael Nadal”

Published

on

Riccardo Piatti said in a recent interview to Italian website Sportface that he would like Jannik Sinner to train with 19-time Grand Slam champion Rafael Nadal at his Tennis Academy in Manacor. Piatti, who worked with Novak Djokovic, Ivan Ljubicic and Maria Sharapova in the past, has already contacted Nadal’s coach Carlos Moya.

 

Sinner has already practiced with Stefanos Tsitsipas and Alexei Popyrin. The 18-year-old Italian player qualified for his first Grand Slam Main Draw last August at the US Open before becoming the youngest male player in five years to reach the semifinal of an ATP tournament in Antwerp. Last November the Italian teenager beat Alex De Minaur in the Next Gen ATP Finals in Milan.

“I take Jannik from time to time with Popyrin and Tsitsipas. Now Alexander Zverev and Stan Wawrinka will be also arriving in Monte-Carlo. I already spoke to Carlos Moya because I want to take him to Monte-Carlo. Since there are no tournaments, I try to simulate training matches with some of the best players on the circuit, so that he learns things and manages to adapt to his style of play. He can learn by playing against better players than him. Jannik had a lot of time to work physically. In the field, we worked on the service to increase the rotation of the shoulders. He must have all the rotations and all angles. He has started to become a service player, not always pulling hard, but choosing the are well”, said Piatti.

Piatti thinks that this phase in Sinner’s career will continue for three years.

“Jannik was used to play three days a week before he was 14 years old. He still in a maturity phase that will last apparently three years. He has a lot of tennis to play. He has an enormous capacity to vary the rhythm with the reverse, in addition, of having a volley that is technically very good. Obviously he has many good things and he has other bad ones, and is very frustrated in games when things do not go as he would like. That menatlity will change with the passing of the years, but we can say that  Sinner is on the right track to do great things in this sport”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending