Back From The Brink Of Retirement, Andy Murray Lights Up Queen’s In Comeback - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Back From The Brink Of Retirement, Andy Murray Lights Up Queen’s In Comeback

It was a fairy-tale return for the former world No.1 in the British capital.

Published

on

Sir Andy Murray of Great Britain and Feliciano Lopez of Spain are pictured during day four of ATP Fever-Tree Championships tennis tournament at Queen's Club in west London on June 20, 2019. (photo by Alberto Pezzali)

QUEEN’S: To say that Andy Murray has had a turbulent past six months is an understatement.

 

Heading into the Australian Open, he didn’t know how or if he could continue his career. Telling reporters during a highly emotional press conference in Melbourne that he may have to walk away from the sport due to injury. Then after his first-round loss to Roberto Bautista Agut, a video was played of players paying tribute to him. A common occurrence that is used to mark somebody entering into retirement. However, Murray was determined to give it one last go.

Hip resurfacing surgery helped transform the three-time grand slam champion from the brink of despair to training once again on the courts. The journey has been testing both mentally and physically, but it was certainly worth it.

Teaming up with Feliciano Lopez at The Fever-Tree Championships, a packed crowd of more than 9000 spectators welcomed him back to the ATP Tour on Thursday. The cheers were back and so was Murray’s passion. Taking on top seeds Juan Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah, Murray and Lopez prevailed 7-6(5), 6-3. An impressive performance against the Colombian doubles specialists, who were runners-up at this year’s Australian Open.

I expected to enjoy the match because I told myself I was going to regardless of what happened.” A chuffed looking Murray said during his press conference.
“I spoke a bit about that with my coach and my team, regardless of the result, you need to make sure you enjoy this because a few months ago I had no clue whether I’d be back playing on a court.”

It wasn’t the first time Queen’s has served as the venue of Murray’s comeback. A year ago he played his first tournament of 2018 after being sidelined due to his hip. On that occasion, he fell to Nick Kyrgios in three sets. However, this time around, it is a different feeling for various reasons.

“This felt different to last year, because last year when I came in and played my hip felt very average. I was still pretty uncomfortable and I had done a lot of training. Things weren’t really getting better.” He explained.
“Whereas now I feel like although I’m not, you know, at my best kind of physically, I feel like I’m always making improvements and I have no pain.”

A cautious step forward
Embed from Getty Images

Brazzingly admitting that he expected to be ‘the worst player on the court,’ it is clear that Murray’s return is gaining momentum. On the court, he chased after the ball and wasn’t afraid to throw himself around in order to win the point. Something that would have been unimaginable a couple of months ago.

In the foreseeable future, it looks like it will be a case of trial and error for Murray concerning his limitations. No date has been provided yet about when he will return to singles competition. Allowing him to focus solely on the doubles.

“I have zero discomfort in my hip after the match, nothing.” Murray states. “If I had done this last year, I’d be here aching, throbbing, and feel bad the next day.’
“So I’ll just keep pushing and see how it goes. But I feel optimistic about the future. I don’t know how long it will take to get to that level, but, you know, hopefully not too long.”

It was after his match with Lopez that Murray confirmed who would be teaming up with him at Wimbledon. Putting an end to the numerous speculation that has arisen in recent days. His partner will be France’s Pierre-Hugues Herbert. Who won the 2016 Wimbledon title with Nicolas Mahut. Herbert had initially declined to play in the doubles at the upcoming grand slam before having a change of heart.

At The All England Club, the Brit has also indicated that he would be up for playing in the mixed doubles as well. Depending on how his fitness progresses. However, finding a partner isn’t as simple as he would like.

“I’ve asked singles players who had already committed to playing doubles, and they didn’t want to commit to playing in three events, which I completely understand because it’s a lot. If you have ambitions to go far in the singles, you maybe don’t want to commit to playing all three.” He said.

Murray will return to the grass court at Queens on Friday. In the time being, he can bask in his triumphant return to professional tennis.

Embed from Getty Images

ATP

Mikhail Kukushkin beat Italian Next Gen star Jannick Sinner in St. Petersburg

Published

on

Mikhail Kukushkin beat 18-year-old Italian Next Gen rising star Jannick Sinner 6-3 7-6 (7-4) after 1 hour and 40 minutes. Kukushkin fended off nine of the eleven break points he faced.

 

Sinner, who turned 18 last month and received a wild-card to take part at the next November’s ATP Next Gen Finals in Milan, did not convert three break points in the first game, but Kukushkin saved them to hold his first game.

Kukushkin, who won his only title in St.Petersburg in 2010, was the first to break serve in the fourth game to open up a 4-1 lead. Sinner earned three break points but Kukushkin fended them off. Sinner saved a break point in the eighth game but Kukushkin served out the opening set on his first set point.

Kukushkin went up a break in the third game of the second set to take a 2-1 lead, Sinner converted his second break-back point to draw level to 2-2. Kukushkin got a break lead for the second time but Sinner rallied from the break down for the second time to draw level to 4-4. Sinner earned set point at 5-4 to force a decider, but Kukushkin saved it to draw level to 5-5. Kukushkin got a mini-break in the tie-break to win the tie-break 7-4.

Adrian Mannarino, who won his first ATP Tour title in s’Hertogenbosch, beat Stefano Travaglia 7-5 6-2 after 1 hour and 19 minutes. Travaglia held his first two service games at love and broke serve to open up a 4-1 lead. Mannarino converted his first break-back point for 3-4. Both players held their serve to draw level to 5-5. Travaglia saved a break point, but he made two double faults to drop his serve in the 11th game for 5-6. Mannarino served out the first set on his first point.

Travaglia saved a break point at the start of the second set, but Mannarino converted his second chance.

Travaglia earned two break-back points in the second game but did Mannarino saved them to open up a 2-0 lead. Mannarino went up a 3-0 lead. The Frenchman saved a break point in the sixth game to race out to a 5-1 lead and sealed the win on his first match point.

 

Continue Reading

ATP

‘Looks Like He Should Be Suspended’ – Pat Rafter Questions ATP’s Management Of Nick Kyrgios

The former world No.1 is the latest person to speak out about the controversial player.

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios, Steve Johnson, 2019 US Open
Photo Credit: Andrew Ong/USTA

Two-time US Open champion Pat Rafter has cast shade on the governing body of men’s tennis over their management of Nick Kyrgios’ behaviour on the tour.

 

The Australian world No.27 had been facing a potential suspension by the ATP over a series of controversies. However, he has received no ban as of yet. During the Cincinnati Masters he was fined $113,000 for eight violations committed during his match against Russia’s Karen Khachanov. Ranging from unsportsmanlike conduct to walking off the court without permission.

A couple weeks later during the US Open Kyrgios accused the ATP of being ‘corrupt’ before clarifying his statement 24 hours later. Arguing that there are double standards in the game when it comes to some players.

Now the subject of an investigation, 46-year-old Rafter has questioned why Kyrgios has not been suspended from the tour yet.

“I don’t understand why it hasn’t happened,” Rafter said during the launch of the ATP Cup.
“There is obviously something else going on behind the scenes. I don’t know.
“On paper it looks like he should be suspended, to me.”

On the other hand, some would argue that banning the 24-year-old would be counterproductive. Despite his antics, Kyrgios has managed to become a household name in the sport. He also has the talent to challenge the best players in the world. In the past, he has defeated Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. Although Rafter believes there is a fine line.

“That’s the other thing. He draws a crowd,” Rafter said.
“But at what stage do you say the crowd is more important? Or are you trying to uphold a certain standard or protocol for players to adhere to.”

Previously tennis legend Rod Laver was reportedly another person to speak in favour of handing Kyrgios another suspension. His first took place at the end of 2016. During an interview with The Sydney Morning Herald, Laver was quoted as saying ‘whatever they have done hasn’t worked so far, so maybe a suspension is the only answer.’

Whilst it looked as if the tennis legend backed punishing Kyrgios, he has since taken a different tone. In a recent interview with a Swiss newspaper, Laver said he was misquoted when talking about Kyrgios.

“I did not say that, I was misquoted by the Sydney Morning Herald.” He told Aargauer Zeitung.
“This was then misunderstood by others and went around without anyone talking to me to verify that statement. It’s true what I said to FOX Sports: I said Nick should not be banned.”

Kyrgios will return to action on Friday where he is taking part in the Laver Cup.

Continue Reading

ATP

ATP Cup Draw Places Andy Murray On Collision Course With Federer

Details of where Murray, Federer, Djokovic and Nadal will play their first matches of 2020 have been announced.

Published

on

Three-time grand slam champion Andy Murray has been placed in the same group as Swiss rival Roger Federer for the revamped ATP Cup which will get underway in January.

 

The draw for the team event was formally made on Monday at the Sydney Opera House with former players Lleyton Hewitt, Pat Rafter and John Newcombe among those attending. A total of 24 countries will take part in the competition across three different Australian cities. Unlike the traditional Davis Cup, $15 million in prize money and up to 750 ranking points will be up for grabs.

“It’s great for tennis,” Newcombe said at the draw.
“What a showcase, to be able to showcase the best players in the world representing their country.”

It will be in Sydney where Murray will lock horns with the world No.3. Both have been drawn in Group C along with Belgium, who will be headed by David Goffin. Another team will be added to the group in the future. Murray is on the comeback from a second hip operation and is currently ranked outside the top 400. The upcoming event could be his first chance to play Federer since 2015.

Novak Djokovic will start his campaign in Brisbane. Making it the first time he has played an ATP event in the city since 2009. Paired with Dusan Lajovic, the duo has been placed alongside South Africa and France in Group A. The other group playing in Brisbane will feature both Alexander Zverev and Stefanos Tsitsipas. Two players who at times do not see eye-to-eye on the tour. They have been placed in Group F along with Canada and host nation Australia.

In Perth Rafael Nadal will be headlining the field and hoping to lead Spain to glory. The US Open champion will face early opposition from both Japan and Georgia. Nadal hasn’t won a title of any kind in the country since his triumph 10 years ago at the Australian Open.

The groups

Brisbane Perth Sydney
Group A Group F Group B Group D Group C Group E
Serbia Germany Spain Russia Switzerland Austria
France Greece Japan Italy Belgium Croatia
South Africa Canada Georgia USA Great Britain Argentina
TBD Australia TBD TBD TBD TBD

At present every member of the world’s top 10 has committed to playing in the event. The ATP Cup is the first team event to be placed on the ATP Calendar since the World Team Cup, which ended in 2012. In the new event, the top eight teams from the group stages will qualify for the quarter-final stage in Sydney. Each tie will feature two singles matches and one doubles.

The return of the competition has shaken up the tennis schedule in Australia. Both the Brisbane International and Sydney International have become women-only events. Meanwhile, the once prestigious Hopman Cup has come to an end after more than 20 years.

The ATP Cup will take place between January 3rd-12th.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending