Playing Doubles At Wimbledon On The Cards For Andy Murray - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Grand Slam

Playing Doubles At Wimbledon On The Cards For Andy Murray

There is a chance that the three-time grand slam champion could return to the tour in the near future.

Published

on

Andy Murray at the 2019 Australian Open (photo Roberto Dell'Olivo)

Andy Murray has said he is upbeat about his chances of returning back to singles competition following his latest hip surgery.

 

The former world No.1 hasn’t played a match since the Australian Open in January and has only been able to feature in eight tournaments since Wimbledon 2017 due to injury. Earlier this year, he underwent hip resurfacing surgery in an attempt to prolong his career. He has previously admitted that he could be forced to retire from the sport due to his hip.

It is unknown when the Brit will return to the tour, but Murray has hinted that he may play doubles at the upcoming Wimbledon Championships. The 32-year-old has been spotted training at The All England Club and had a hit with Nick Kyrgios on Monday. Murray hasn’t played in the doubles tournament of a grand slam since the 2008 US Open.

“I would say there is very little chance I would play singles during the grass [season]. Potentially doubles, but I’m not trying to get ready for singles just now.” Murray said during an interview with The Times.

On Sunday Murray’s brother Jamie played down the chances of the two pairing up at the grass-court major. Saying that he currently at the ‘peak’ of his career and wants to partner up with somebody more in form. Jamie is currently ranked eighth in the doubles rankings and reached the Wimbledon final back in 2015.

“For me, these are the peak years in my career and if I go to play Wimbledon with someone who hasn’t hit a tennis ball in eight months, I’m kind of giving up one of those years, so that’s a big decision for me to take.” He told reporters on Sunday.

As for singles, Murray admits that it will be unlikely that he will be ready in time to play on the surface this year. Although he is still hopeful that he can return to the tour in the future. Murray has won eight ATP titles on the grass during his career, including two at Wimbledon.

“The thing I said before was that, if I wasn’t feeling good, there was more chance that I would play and then stop after Wimbledon. Whereas if it’s feeling good, it makes a bit more sense to give it time to make sure that it’s as good as possible before I try to play singles on it.” He explained.
“Because I’ve only just started moving now, to get ready for the grass singles-wise I would have to be doing that for two and a half to three weeks before Queen’s, and that would give me only five or six days of building up to start running properly. It’s not enough time.”

One of the inspirations for Murray’s return is Bob Bryan. Doubles specialist Bryan took five months away from the tour last year to have the same procedure as Murray on his hip. Since returning, the 40-year-old has won titles in Delray Beach and Miami alongside his twin brother Bob.

“I don’t have pain,” Murray said. “I just need to see how good the hip can get really. I know from seeing what Bob Bryan has done that for doubles it will be absolutely fine.”

Murray has spent 41 weeks as world No.1 on the ATP Tour during his career.

Grand Slam

Australian Open Chief Confident Event Will Take Place In January Amid COVID-19 Jump In Region

Craig Tiley has addressed concerns about the Grand Slam following a new outbreak in Victoria.

Published

on

The tournament director of the Australian Open has insisted that plans for next year’s tournament are on track despite a spike in COVID-19 cases around Melbourne.

 

Craig Tiley has stated that the Grand Slam will only take place in the city and there are no backup plans to potentially relocate the event in a worst case scenario. The Australian Open is held annually at Melbourne Park and this year attracted a record attendance of 812,174 people. Although there are concerns about the threat posed by COVID-19 with the Victoria State Government reporting another 66 cases of the virus on Friday. Making it the 17th day the daily infection rate has been in double digits. It is possible that the number could be higher with health minister Jenny Mikakos confirming around 10,000 people have refused to be tested with some claiming the virus to be a ‘conspiracy theory.’

According to ABC News Tiley and his team are planning for six scenarios concerning the Australian Open taking place, including the possibility of holding it behind closed doors. Although he is optimistic that the event and others also set to take place next January will go ahead as planned.

“Nothing has changed for us in terms of our planning,” Tiley told AAP.
“The environment around us has changed, and will continue to change, as we’ve seen with the current spike in Victoria.
“We’re optimistic the additional measures currently in place will be successful — and restrictions will continue to be eased over the coming months.”

The Tournament director has also confirmed that there will be little flexibility concerning the staging of next year’s event. Saying it will only take place in Melbourne and during January if it goes ahead. Although he is keeping a close eye on the two Grand Slams that are set to take place later this season.

“The US Open and the French Open are exploring mandatory testing, varying levels of quarantine and limiting entourages,” he said.
“Of course we are looking at all these options, and more, as part of our scenario planning.
“It’s difficult to predict exactly what will need to be in place as guidelines and protocols are changing week by week, and sometimes even day by day.”

This year’s US Open is set to get underway on August 31st, but will be held behind closed doors for the first time. Meanwhile the French Open, which starts only weeks after the New York major, plans to allow up to 20,000 fans to attend daily. Working out to be roughly 60% of its maximum capacity.

The last time the Australian Open didn’t take place was in 1986 due to a change in its hosting date from December to January. Founded in 1905, it is the youngest out of the four grand slam tournaments.

Continue Reading

Grand Slam

Patrick Mouratoglou Cast Doubt On US Open Taking Place As Covid-19 Cases Soar

One top health expert has warned American lawmakers that the country could reach 100,000 cases of the virus per day.

Published

on

The coach of Serena Williams has said he is unsure ‘if it is a good move’ for the US Open to go ahead amid the ongoing COVID-19 crises.

 

Patrick Mouratoglou told Sky Sports that he believes it is ‘a bit crazy’ for the event to be going ahead as planned. This year’s Grand Slam in New York is taking place behind closed doors for the first time in history and will be implementing strict measures to deal with the threat of COVID-19. Including regular testing and temperature checks. Players will also be kept essentially in a ‘bubble’ throughout and limited to where they can go. All tennis tournaments have been suspended since March due to the Pandemic but the Tour is set to resume in August.

”With what’s happening at the moment in the US, with the number of cases of COVID-19 going higher and higher every day, I don’t think how that can happen,” Mouratoglou told Sky Sports.
“From outside, it looks a bit crazy to try to make it happen. So, I don’t know if it’s a good move.
“I wouldn’t say that if the situation was more stable like it is in Europe, then it’s a different story. But in the US and especially in New York and around New York is… I mean, the number of cases is increasing incredibly. So, I don’t know how reasonable that is to try to make it happen. And I don’t know if last minute the governor of New York will decide to cancel it because of course health first.”

Recently Dr Anthony Fauci, who is a top disease expert, told the United States Senate that he would not be surprised if the country soars to 100,000 cases of the Coronavirus each day. His warning comes as Reuters News Agency reports that there was a rise of more than 47,000 cases on Tuesday. The biggest jump in daily cases since the pandemic started.

As a result of the rise, New York has said that people travelling from 16 different states in America are now required to self-quarantine for 14 days if they visit the city. According to USA Today this ruling applies to roughly 48% of the entire American population. Due to the uncertain situation, Mouratoglou believes it is still possible the US Open could get cancelled nearer the time.

“I think it’s completely possible that two weeks before he [Andrew Cuomo] decides I mean, considering the situation, this is not reasonable to bring people from all over the world there, mix them together and potentially put them in touch with one of the countries that has the most cases at the moment.” He said.

Some players are yet to clarify their plans for the Grand Slam and if they will be playing. Rafael Nadal, Petra Kvitova and Simona Halep are some of those who have previously expressed their concerns. However, former champion and world No.1 Andy Murray says is it a ‘positive’ move for the event to be going ahead as well as the French Open which will follow shortly after.

“Getting the US Open and the French Open played this year is a good thing, I think. It’s positive, I just don’t like the way the French Open went about scheduling their event,” Murray told the BBC. “But we’re going to have to go back to playing at some stage. The most important thing is that the events are safe.”

The US Open is set to get underway on August 31st.

Continue Reading

ATP

Novak Djokovic Hails Return Of Grand Slam Tennis Amid Speculation Over US Open Attendance

The Serbian tennis star is yet to confirm his calendar for the 2020 season.

Published

on

World No.1 Novak Djokovic says he is ‘happy and excited’ that professional tennis will be resuming in the coming weeks without confirming if he would play in both grand slam tournaments later this year.

 

On Wednesday it was announced that the ATP Tour will be restarted in August ahead of the US Open later that month. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all tennis tournaments have either been suspended or cancelled since March. However, certain restrictions will be in place for the upcoming events with the US Open set to be played behind closed doors for the first time in its history.

“I’m extremely happy and excited to see that all the tournaments; especially Grand Slams, are organising their events,” Djokovic told Eurosport’s Tennis Legends podcast.
“I think that a lot of people were sceptical, especially for the US events considering what the US went through as a country during this pandemic. So a lot of people, including myself; were quite sceptical on whether it would happen or not.”

Djokovic, who started 2020 by winning 18 matches in a row on the ATP Tour, had previously voiced concerns over playing in New York. Labelling the rules as ‘extreme’ with the idea that players can only bring one member of their team to the site. However, the USTA confirmed on Wednesday that these plans have now been eased in order to accommodate bigger entourages. Players can now take three members each with them to the event, which has scrapped draws in a bid to limit the number of people. Something that has caused outcry among wheelchair tennis players.

“Obviously the regulations and measures as of today are quite strict, I must say. With quarantine and with some players; especially those from South America, not being able to travel out of their countries to come to the States. Hopefully that will change: the ATP and the USTA, everyone is working on it. The worst case scenario is that it remains like this, but there is time.” He said.
“Hopefully every single player who is participating, chosen by ranking and who deserves their place at the US Open; will have an equal opportunity to travel there and compete as everybody else. This is very, very important because this is the foundation of the ATP and the foundation of international tennis.
“We will all collectively try to make sure that this is the priority. Let’s hope that in the next two months some of those restrictions will loosen up a bit and that we will have a great, great tournament.”

Whilst remaining coy about his plans for North America, the 33-year-old has stated his intention to play at the French Open. Which is set to get underway two after the conclusion of the US Open. Djokovic last won the tournament back in 2016 and reached the semi-finals last year.

Tournament director Guy Forget has said he was confident that fans will be able to attend Roland Garros in some capacity. Although the final decision will be made by the French government. Qualifying rounds will also be played.

“It is great that we have a roof, obviously, on Philippe Chatrier this year, so those are the positive things and I look forward to it. I mean it’s one of the most important and one of the nicest tournaments in the world. I always enjoy playing there and I can’t wait to go back.” Djokovic commented.

More clarity about Djokovic’s calendar could emerge this week. He is currently in Croatia for the second leg of the Adria Tour and will be undertaking various media commitments.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending