Karolina Pliskova described 2019 as her best season so far after she made light work of Madison Brengle during a comprehensive 6-2 6-3 win in the first round of the French Open.
The Czech, 27, arrived in Paris full of confidence after she lifted the trophy in Rome. And she looked relaxed throughout as she beat the American without ever reaching top gear.
“(My tennis) was solid today,” Pliskova said in her post-match press conference. “The first round is always tricky. You don’t know how you’re going to feel, how you’re going to play. But I had a good couple of days of practice, so I felt fine.”
She continued, “Because I’m having a good season, of course there’s going to be pressure on me to go far in the tournaments, but that’s normal. Almost every season is quite similar. Of course, this one is so far the best, but always there is some kind of pressure, so I’m fine with that.”
As she often does, Pliskova lost the first two games of the match as she adjusted to the court and the surroundings.
But if anyone watching was worried about an upset, their fears did not last long. The Czech demolished Brengle’s serve twice in a row to build momentum, and then rattled off three more games to take the set 6-2. She also unleashed an impressive array of forehand winners.
The second set was a messier affair. Pliskova produced excellent tennis in patches and broke the American four times. However, she also played two poor service games as she was broken twice.
Despite these stutters, the inevitable result was soon confirmed as the World No.2 broke to love to seal her passage into round two.
Pliskova knows she will need to play better in future rounds to reach the later stages in Paris. And she might have to start improving in her next match, as her opponent will be the in-form Karolina Kucova, who came through qualifying and then impressively beat 2009 French Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova in round one.
“It’s going to be difficult,” Pliskova said. “But I feel like every time I play tournaments, I improve from match to match. Hopefully that’s going to happen here too.”
Bencic Impresses In First Round Win
Belinda Bencic has not had much success at Roland Garros. In three previous visits, she has never made it past the second round.
But maybe this time things will be different, as 2019 is already shaping up to be the best of the Swiss player’s career. She won a Premier title in Dubai and reached Premier semi-finals in Indian Wells and Madrid.
The location of that second semi-final run is significant, as it shows that Bencic is performing better on clay than in previous seasons.
The World No.15 certainly looked full of confidence in her first-round match against Jessika Ponchet. She hit 30 winners to all parts of the court as she beat the Frenchwoman 6-1 6-4 in just 65 minutes.
Bencic’s next opponent will be Laura Siegemund. The German beat qualifier Sofya Zhuk 6-3 6-3.
Only Double Vaccinated Players Will Be Allowed To Play Australian Open – Government Minister
Players will not be exempt from a ‘universal application’ applied to those wishing to travel to the country.
A high ranking official from the Australian government has confirmed for the first time that players will not be allowed to enter the country next year if they have not been double vaccinated against COVID-19.
Immigration minister Alex Hawke has stated that there will be no exemptions in force for tennis players hoping to play in the Australian Open amid recent speculation. According to Andrey Rublev, he had been told that unvaccinated players could be allowed to play but will have to enter into a 14-day quarantine upon arrival. However, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said on Monday that it was unlikely visas would be issued to those who are unvaccinated.
Trying to clarify the current situation, Hawke has told ABC radio that all entrants into the country will be required to be vaccinated regardless of who they are. His comments come before Tennis Australia has made any official announcement regarding the tournament and it’s entry requirements.
“The government in establishing its borders has said that you’ll need to be double vaccinated to visit Australia. That’s a universal application, not just to tennis players. I mean that every visitor to Australia will need to be double vaccinated,” Hawke said on ABC radio.
The move raises further questions about the prospect of Novak Djokovic being able to attend the Australian Open. The 20-time Grand Slam champion recently said he doesn’t want to reveal his vaccination status to the public. In the past he said he was against the idea of being forced to have a vaccination but rejects allegations that he is an anti-vaxxer.
“I don’t have a message to Novak. I have a message to everybody that wishes to visit Australia. He’ll need to be double vaccinated,” Hawke later added.
Unlike other sports, tennis’ governing bodies have not issued any public statements outlining the vaccination rates among players on their Tour’s. Reuters news agency estimates the vaccination rate is 65% for the ATP and 60% for the WTA based on recent media reports. However, The Age newspaper reports those who are double vaccinated are below half with 35% for the ATP and 40% for the WTA.
As for the suggestion that players who had already contracted COVID-19 should be allowed into the country regardless of their vaccine status, the president of the Victorian Australian Medical Association has dismissed the idea.
“I understand he [Djokovic] had it [coronavirus] but, believe it or not, the immunity from the vaccination is better than the immunity from catching the disease,” Dr Roderick McRae told The Age.
“I think there is an element of standards [here]. It’s important our leaders make these decisions in our interests and it [banning unvaccinated travellers] demonstrates to the community just how important we take this.”
The Australian Open will begin on January 17th. Djokovic and Naomi Osaka are the reigning champions.
Victorian Premier: Unvaccinated Players Likely To Be Refused Visas To Play Australian Open
The government official has issued a warning ahead of the Grand Slam but one player say they have been told something different…
The head of the Victorian Government has said there is a good chance that any player who is unvaccinated will be refused entry into Australia next year and be excluded from the Australian Open.
Daniel Andrews has insisted that no deals will be cut with the players where they could receive special treatment in order for them to enter the region. Recently local officials implemented a health mandate in Victoria requiring essential workers to be vaccinated, including professional athletes. The move has prompted speculation over the implications that will have on the upcoming Australian Open which will get underway in January.
Andrews, who has been the Premier of Victoria since 2014, will not be the person who has the final say as to if unvaccinated players will be allowed to enter the country. That will be decided by the national government. However, in a press conference on Tuesday he cast serious doubt over their chances.
“I don’t think an unvaccinated tennis player is going to get a visa to come into this country,” he told reporters on Tuesday.
“If they did get a visa, they’d probably have to quarantine for a couple of weeks when no other players will have to.
“AFL players have to be vaccinated, but they’re Aussies, they’re not coming from other countries.
“I don’t think any other tennis player, or golfer, or Formula One driver, will even get a visa to get here.
“Professional sport is part of that authorised worker list and they have to be double dose vaccinated.”
The warning comes less than 24 hours after Blic newspaper published an interview with world No.1 Novak Djokovic who admits he is unsure about playing at the tennis major. Djokovic declined to reveal his vaccination status and has accused the media of causing a divide between vaccinated and unvaccinated people. He has won the Australian Open men‘s title a record nine times.
“I won’t disclose whether I am vaccinated or not. It is a private matter, I think it is inappropriate to ask a person that. Too many people allow themselves the freedom to ask and then to judge. Whatever you say – I have, I have not, maybe, I do not know or I am thinking about it – they will use it against you,” he said.
Tennis Australia has not commented on Andrews’ statement and it is unclear as to when a final decision will be made. Although Djokovic believes a final decision could come in two weeks time.
Meanwhile, Andrey Rublev has contradicted what Andrews has said during a press conference in Moscow. Speaking to reporters the Russian says it is his understanding that unvaccinated players will be allowed to play the Australian Open but they will be forced to enter into a 14-day quarantine. Meaning they will miss tournaments such as the ATP Cup leading up to the Grand Slam.
“If athletes do not want to stay in quarantine for two weeks, then they must be vaccinated. As far as I know, Australians recognize many vaccines. If you do not get vaccinated, then you will not be able to leave the room for two weeks. Then you won’t be able to play either the ATP Cup or the tournaments before the Australian Open.” Said Rublev.
Besides the players, local fans attending the Australian Open could also be refused entry if they are unvaccinated and their freedoms won’t be relaxed until ‘well into 2022.’ Andrews said he doubts crowds at the Australian Grand Prix, which takes place three months after the Melbourne major, will not include those are are not double jabbed.
“Why would you get the system going, have the thing up and running and then essentially pull down all of the architecture that you’ve built, the culture that you’ve changed – why would you change that four or five weeks later?” He said.
“For example, the Grand Prix is in April, I don’t think there will be crowds at the Grand Prix made up of people who have not been double dosed.”
The Australian Open is set to get underway on January 17th.
Grand Slam Matches Among 38 Suspicious Betting Alerts Over Past Three Months
The body is charge of monitoring match-fixing in the sport has issued their latest findings.
The International Tennis Integrity Agency has confirmed they have received ‘match alerts’ concerning a quartet of matches which took place at Grand Slam tournaments during the third quarter of 2021.
Two matches played at Wimbledon and a further two which took place at the US Open were flagged up, according to their quarterly report which was public on Tuesday. The names of the individuals involved in those matches are not made public whilst the ITIA investigate the matter. The alerts are received through their confidential Memoranda of Understanding with the regulated betting industry.
A total of 38 betting alerts were issued to the ITIA during the third quarter with the most coming from matches played on the Challenger Tour (13). There were also nine suspicious matches from ITF $25,000 tournaments on the men’s Tour and another seven linked to $15,000 events. To put that into context the women’s ITF Tour reported a total of three overall.
“It is important to note that an alert on its own is not evidence of match fixing,” the ITIA stated in their report.
“Unusual betting patterns can occur for many reasons other than match fixing – for example incorrect odds-setting; well-informed betting; player fitness, fatigue or form; playing conditions and personal circumstances.”
Five players have been sanctioned within the past three months for match-fixing offences with the most high-profile being Temur Ismailov from Uzbekistan. Ismailov, who reached a ranking high of 397th in 2016, was issued with a life ban after being found guilty of offences in addition to another suspension he was already serving.
The ITIA has also provisionally suspended six Moroccans and one Pervian player in connection with possible violations of anti-corruption rules.
The ITIA was created by the international governing bodies to investigate allegations against players and hand out sanctions. It is currently in the process of merging with the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (TADP) and will oversee the global administration of the TADP from January 1st if it receives Board approval.
Number of alerts (third quarter of 2021 only)
- Wimbledon: 2
- US Open: 2
- ATP Challenger: 13
- ATP World Tour: 250 1
- Davis Cup: 1
- M25 Men’s – World Tennis Tour: 9
- M15 Men’s – World Tennis Tour: 7
- W15 Women’s – World Tennis Tour: 2
- W80 Women’s – World Tennis Tour: 1
Stefanos Tsitsipas leads the line-up at the Erste Bank Open in Vienna
Ann Li clinches her first WTA Tour title in Tenerife
Aslan Karatsev claims his second title this season at the Kremlin Cup in Moscow
Emma Raducanu looking to finish the season on a high note
Jannik Sinner Becomes Youngest Player Since Djokovic To Win Fifth ATP Title At European Open
REPORT: Unvaccinated Players Set To Be Banned From Playing Australian Open
Novak Djokovic Undecided Over Playing Australian Open, Slams Speculation Over His Vaccination Status
Roger Federer Says ‘Revolution’ Needed To Help Next Generation Of Tennis Players
The 2021 Indian Wells Women’s Draw In Full
‘I Don’t Want To Be Part Of The Silence’ – Sportscaster Mary Carillo On Why She Boycotted The Laver Cup
US Open, Steve Flink: “Djokovic’s loss had more to do with fatigue than pressure”
US Open, Steve Flink on the Murray-Tsitsipas Controversy
(VIDEO) Dominic Thiem, Juan Martin Del Potro Gathering Momentum In Comeback Bids
Steve Flink On Wimbledon: “Bautista Agut would be a tough semifinal test for Djokovic”
Wimbledon, Flink: “Djokovic Will Beat Zverev in the Final”
Focus2 days ago
Bad news for the Transylvania Open as no fans are allowed
Interviews2 days ago
“We Hope to Convince Federer to Play”: the Presentation of the 2022 Rolex Monte-Carlo Masters
Latest news1 day ago
Simona Halep, Emma Raducanu Heads The Field in Cluj Napoca
ATP3 days ago
Daniil Medvedev Backs Djokovic’s Refusal To Disclose Vaccination Status
Latest news1 day ago
Transylvania Open Suffers Major Blow As Seven Players Pull Out
Hot Topics15 hours ago
Alexander Zverev Makes Fresh Swipe At Davis Cup Finals
ATP3 days ago
Andy Murray Blasts Own Performance Following Antwerp Exit
Latest news2 days ago
Jannik Sinner beats Arthur Rinderknech in Antwerp to reach his sixth semifinals in Antwerp