Former Top 50 Player Shelby Rogers Returns To Charleston After 12-Month Injury Break - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Former Top 50 Player Shelby Rogers Returns To Charleston After 12-Month Injury Break

Despite admitting that she is unsure if she is ready, the 26-year-old is hooping to stage a winning comeback this week.

Published

on

This year’s Volvo Car Open in Charleston marks the return of a familiar face to the WTA Tour.

 

Shelby Rogers last played a competitive match at the 2018 BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, where she lost in the first round. Since then, the American player has been sidelined from the tour due to a troublesome left knee injury that required surgery. The first significant injury of her career to date.

“I just missed it so much,” the 26-year-old told The Post and Courier about her comeback. “I was going crazy sitting inside and laying around, so I had to get on the court just to remember what it was like.”

Rogers has been ranked as high as 48th in the world. She is best known for her surprise run to the quarter-finals of the French Open. In that tournament, she scored wins over Karolina Pliskova, Petra Kvitova and Irina-Camelia Begu. Rogers has also reached the final of two WTA events on the clay in Austria and Brazil. At the time of her knee problems, the American was ranked 78th in the world.

“I talked to other players and people who have had been injured, but there’s nothing to prepare you for what you go through.”

During her injury break, Rogers embarked upon other activities such as working as an announcer for The Tennis Channel and doing an online course with the Indiana University East. Although it wasn’t easy dealing with the shortcoming in money during her hiatus from the sport. Rogers has made just over $2 million in prize money throughout her career. Putting her 222nd on the all-time list for the most prize money won by a female player (as of April 1st, 2019).

“That’s a part that I think could be improved with the Tour,” Rogers commented about financial support for injured players. “It’s something I never had to deal with before, and something I didn’t really understand until this happened. You take a year away from a job, and anybody would struggle with that.
“It was a big learning process and I tried to keep myself busy and try some new things to see different sides of the Tour and the game, and that was fun.”

This week will be the first test of Rogers’ current fitness in Charleston. Her first round opponent will be Russian world No.68 Evgeniya Rodina. Rodina has endured a sluggish start to 2019 after winning only two out of 11 matches played. It will be the first time the two have played each other since 2010, when the Russian won in three sets at an ITF $50,000 event in Dothan, America.

“I still don’t know if I’m ready,” Rogers admits. “But I was always ready for the comeback. That’s what kept me motivated, to come back and play the sport I love again. If you don’t have that purpose, it’d be very difficult to do that four hours a day of physical therapy and work through that pain.”

Rogers will play her first round match on Monday in what will be her ninth appearance at the tournament.

This year’s Volvo Caro Open will feature three top 10 players in the draw. Sloane Stephens is the top seed, followed by defending champion Kiki Bertens and Aryna Sabalenka. All eight seeded players has received a bye in the first round.

Latest news

Angelo Binaghi: “The Internazionali BNL d’Italia could be held in September. It is a better period than May”

Published

on

Italian Tennis Federation President Angelo Binaghi said in an interview to Italian tennis channel Supertennis that he was confident that the 2020 edition of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia could take place next September as a tune-up for the French Open. The ATP Masters and the WTA Premier Masters was originally scheduled from 11th to 17th May, but it was called off because of the coronavirus pandemic.

 

“Barring major upheavels, I think that we are going to reorganise the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in September, between the middle and the end of the month. They tell me, especially the Romans, that it is an extraordinary season, the best time to play tennis. September could be better than May, when the tournament is traditionally held. Tennis is the safest sport at the time of the coronavirus pandemic. Our sport has some advantage compared to team sports. This summer we will hold the National Championhsips after many years”, said Binaghi.  

Binaghi said that he would meet Italian Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora to discuss about the possibility to attend the tournament.

Italian tennis will celebrate the 10th anniversary of Francesca Schiavone’s win at Roland Garros in 2010.

“Schiavone’s win was a big surprise. Italian tennis was not ready for this triumph. It was a big step forward, that made us aware that we could achieve any kind of result. It marked the start of a golden period for Italian tennis”.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Dominic Thiem, Alexander Zverev, Nick Kyrgios and Jannik Sinner set to play in Berlin exhibition tournament

Published

on

Berlin is set to host an exhibition tournament in two parts. Twelve players will take part in this tournament, that will consist in two parts. The first part will take place on grass between 13th and 15th July. The second part will be held on hard court in a hangar near the closed Tempelhof Airport between 17th and 19th July.

 

The men’s tournament will feature 2018 ATP Finals champion Alexander Zverev, this year’s Australian Open Dominic Thiem, Nick Kyrgios and 2019 Next Gen ATP Finals Jannik Sinner.

Two-time Rome champion Elina Svitolina, Kiki Bertens, Julia Goerges and Andrea Petkovic have signed up to play in the women’s tournament.

The matches will be played behind closed doors. A super tie-break will replace the third set. There will be no electronic lines calls with no line judges to reduce the number of people on the court. The exhibition event will replace a WTA tournament in Berlin, which was scheduled on June, but it was cancelled.

A total prize money of 200000 Euros will be available.

 

 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Injury Scare Fails To Derail Petra Kvitova From Winning ‘Bizarre’ All-Czech Tennis Event

The world No.12 speaks out about the unusual circumstances she was playing in earlier this week as she sheds light on a recent injury issue she has been dealing with.

Published

on

During what was meant to be the first week of the French Open Petra Kvitova is still winning matches albeit in very different circumstances.

 

With professional tennis still halted due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the two-time Wimbledon champion was one of the headline acts at the CTS President’s Cup earlier this week. A Three-day event that features eight men and eight women taking part in a all-Czech tournament. Umpires and ball boys had to wear face masks and there was limited spacing for spectators to watch from the sidelines with organizers mindful of social distancing.

“The gloves, face masks, the fact nobody handed us the towels, no handshakes, that was definitely bizarre,” said Kvitova.
“And playing without people, the atmosphere was not exactly what we are used to.”

Despite the unusual circumstances, it failed to prevent Kvitova for winning the event on Thursday. During a rain-interrupted final she saw off Wimbledon quarter-finalist Karolina Muchova 6-3, 6-3. Earlier in the event she also scored wins over former world No.1 doubles player Kateřina Siniaková (7-5, 6-4) and Barbora Krejčíková (7-6, 6-2).

The trio of victories came only days after there was concern if Kvitova would be able to play at all. Leading into the tournament the Czech started to feel pain in her forearm, but was later given the all clear by her doctor. Speaking to reporters, she said the pain she felt was similar to what occurred this time last year when she was forced to withdraw from the French Open.

“Two days before the start of the tournament, my forearm started to stiffen, similar to last year before the French Open,” the 30-year-old explained.
“That’s why I didn’t train on Monday. I was waiting for Mr. Kolář’s verdict, but he said that I would be able to do it (play) in some way.”

Now her first taste of competitive tennis in over three months has concluded, Kvitova has relished the experience. It is still unclear as to when the WTA Tour will resume. At present the suspension is until July 31st. In recent days both the US Open and French Open have said they are optimistic that their events will be able to go ahead later this year in some capacity.

“Given the circumstances and the pandemic, it was a wonderful tournament,” Kvitova stated.

Whilst officials ponder when to restart the sport, Kvitova plans to take some time resting her hand in order to prevent aggravating it further.

“I’ll definitely feel my hand for a few days now, but I’ll take time off, there’s no hurry,” she concluded.

In the men’s final world No.450 Michael Vrbensky, who shocked top seed Jiri Vesely in the first round, won the title.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending