Nick Kyrgios Sets Sight On Becoming The King Of Queen’s - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Nick Kyrgios Sets Sight On Becoming The King Of Queen’s

Kyrgios will be bidding to become the first Australian to win the tournament since Lleyton Hewitt back in 2006.

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios at The 2018 Fever-Tree Championships (photo by Alberto Pezzali)

Australian star Nick Kyrgios has become the latest player to confirm their presence at this year’s Fever-Tree Championships in London.

 

Kyrgios, who recently won the Mexican Open in Acapulco, is set to play at The Queen’s Club for the fifth time in his career. In 2018 he achieved his best ever result at the tournament by reaching the semi-finals before losing in two tiebreakers to Marin Cilic. It was during that year where he defeated five-time champion Andy Murray. A player he hopes to emulate this year by winning the title.

“‘I know what I can do if I’m feeling good, and I want to show that on the grass at Queen’s and Wimbledon this year,” said Kyrgios.
“The Fever-Tree Championships is a great event, one of my good mates Andy Murray won the title 5 times there, so that shows how important it is. The courts are perfect, they suit my game and if I go well there it will set me up perfectly for Wimbledon.”

The 23-year-old is currently in good form following a battle with injuries over recent months. In Acapulco, he scored three wins over top 10 players within seven days for the first time in his career. A performance that he has seen his rise back up the world rankings to 33rd position.

“When Nick plays like he did in Acapulco, he is one of the best and most exciting tennis players in the world,” Tournament Director Stephen Farrow commented in a press release.
“We have always believed in his ability, he reached our semi-finals last year, and we would love to see him put the tennis he played last week onto the grass at The Queen’s Club against a player field that already contains so many good names.”

Kyrgios is the latest addition to the ATP 500 tournament, which is played in West Kensington, London on the grass. Defending champion Cilic, Stefanos Tsitsipas and Kyle Edmund have also confirmed their presence. In last year’s final, Cilic defeated Novak Djokovic to record only his second victory over the world No.1.

“Winning the Fever-Tree Championships last year was one of the highlights of my career.” Said Cilic.
“It was a close final and fightback against Novak (Djokovic), and came after I was narrowly beaten by Feliciano (Lopez) in the final a year earlier. I have always loved playing at The Queen’s Club, and it will be a special feeling to try to defend my title in 2019.”

The Fever-Tree Championships will take place between June 17-23. It will be the 117th edition of the event, which was first played back in 1881.

Latest news

Alexei Popyrin and Alex Bolt crown a perfect day for Australian tennis at Wimbledon’s first qualifying round

Published

on

All eight Australian players came through the first Wimbledon qualifying round at Roehampton.

 

Teenager Alexei Popyrin defeated Argentina’s Federico Coria 6-2 7-5. The Aussie 19-year-old Next Gen player is currently in 11th place in the ATP Race to Milan and reached the third round at last January’s Australian Open, where he lost to eventual semifinalist Lucas Pouille. Popyrin has not played a match on grass since playing the Wimbledon Junior tournament in 2016.

Former Australian star Pat Cash, who won at Wimbledon in 1987, has joined Popyrin’s team at Wimbledon and was in his corner.

“I slipped a couple of times here and there, but I like the grass. It suits my game pretty well and we have got a few things to work on with the team, but we will get there”, said Popyrin.

Alex Bolt came back from a set and a break down to beat Italian 17-year-old rising star Jannik Sinner 2-6 7-5 12-10 after 2 hours and 36 minutes.

“I got out of jail free card there. I don’t know how I won that. For a set and and a half Jannik completely outplayed me and I could not have a play on the ball. He was by far the better player on court. He played some quality tennis and I just weathered the storm”, said Bolt.

Jason Kubler overcame Switzerland’s Henri Laaksonen 6-2 5-7 7-5. Kubler was just two points away from losing the match, as he was serving at 4-5 0-30, but he reeled off 12 points to clinch a hard-fought win.

 Germany’s Dustin Brown beat China’s Zhe Li 7-6 (7-2) 6-3 after 1 hour and 21 minutes. The German player of Jamaican origin recently beat Alexander Zverev to reach the quarter final in Stuttgart. Four years ago he upset Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon.

 

 

Continue Reading

Fed Cup

Simona Halep Threatens To Boycott Fed Cup If Revamp Takes Place

The 27-year-old has criticised proposals to change the format of the team competition.

Published

on

Simona Halep (photo by chryslène caillaud, copyright @Sport Vision)

Former world No.1 Simona Halep has said she will stop playing in the Fed Cup if the International Tennis Federation removes home and away ties from the competition.

 

In recent months there has been speculation that the women’s team event will soon follow the path of the Davis Cup, which has undergone a controversial reform. Where the finals will take place at the end of a year over a week in a neutral location. The driving force behind the changes to the Davis Cup is Kosmos. An investment company founded by Barcelona footballer Gerald Pique. Kosmos has pledged to invest $3 billion over 25 years.

“I love the Fed Cup and I would never change that,” Reuters News quoted Halep as telling reporters in Eastbourne on Monday.
“If Fed Cup changes I won’t play any more. I like the format now so if they change, it will be tough because Fed Cup means to play home and away.”

Halep helped guide Romania to the semi-finals of the Fed Cup this year in what has been their best performance since 1973. Overall, she has won 22 out of 32 matches played since her debut back in 2010.

“To play at home, it’s the best feeling,” she said.
“I’ve played many years in Fed Cup and the best feeling is to be at home with all the people that come to support and also away you have to manage the emotions and the pressure.”

Earlier this month, ITF president Davis Haggerty vowed to revamp the Fed Cup in order to keep it in line with the men’s equivalent. Although he hasn’t outline an exact date as to when this will take place. Haggerty is seeking re-election this year and has outlined his plans in his manifesto.

“Fed Cup reform is a key focus of the Board in 2019, with the ambition to implement a similar Fed Cup World Cup of Tennis with a minimum of 16 teams in the World Group 2020 and to play one round of qualifying and an eight or 12-team Fed Cup Final in April 2020 in one location. This also aligns with the ITF Gender Equality initiative that we introduced in 2018 and continues to ensure tennis is a welcoming sport.” Sport Business quoted Haggerty as saying.

On Thursday an announcement is expected to be made about the future of the Fed Cup by the ITF in a press conference.

Continue Reading

Latest news

‘Devastated’ British No.3 Katie Boulter Withdraws From Wimbledon

There is bad news for home fans at this year’s Wimbledon Championships.

Published

on

Katie Boulter (photo by Chryslène Caillaud, copyright @Sport Vision)

One of Britain’s top female players has said they are ‘absolutely devastated’ to withdraw from the Wimbledon Championships after failing to recover in time from injury.

 

Katie Boulter confirmed on Sunday that she has decided to withdraw from the grand slam following medical advice. The world No.127 hasn’t played a match since the Fed Cup back in April due to a back injury. Pulling out of French Open, where she still received a payment of £20,000, as well as a series of grass-court events.

‘As you are all aware, I’ve recently been recovering from a back injury that I suffered during Great Britain’s Fed Cup victory back in April,’ Boulter said in a statement published on social media.
‘The road to recovery has had its ups and downs; at various points along the way I’ve been very close to getting back on court and competing, but unfortunately I’m not quite ready in time for Wimbledon, and on the advice of my medical team, I’ve made the decision to give my recovery a couple more weeks.”

Boulter has been ranked as high as 82nd in the world and claimed two ITF titles in 2018. However, she is yet to achieve such success so far this season. Failing to win back-to-back main draw matches at six consecutive tournaments prior to her back injury.

‘I am absolutely devastated to be missing my home Grand Slam and the opportunity to play in front of our incredible fans but sadly I won’t be 100% fit.’ Boulter explained.
‘Wimbledon is the most special tournament of the year for me and I can’t wait to get back on the grass courts next year. I’d like to thank everyone for their support over the past few months; it’s only motivated me to come back stronger.’

The 22-year-old made her main draw grand slam debut in Wimbledon back in 2017 where she lost in the first round to Christina McHale. 12 months later she won her first ever grand slam match at the All England Club when she defeated Aleksandra Krunic.

The Wimbledon Championships will get underway a week on Monday.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending