Marcelo Melo and Lukasz Kubot beat Novak Djokovic and Fabio Fognini to reach the Indian Wells doubles final - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Marcelo Melo and Lukasz Kubot beat Novak Djokovic and Fabio Fognini to reach the Indian Wells doubles final

Published

on

Brazil’s Marcelo Melo and Poland’s Lukasz Kubot secured their spot in the final of the doubles tournament of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells after beating singles world number 1 player Novak Djokovic and Fabio Fognini 7-6 (7-5) 2-6 10-6 in the super tie-break.

Melo and Kubot will face Horacio Zeballos and Nikola Mektic, who beat Oliver Marach and Mate Pavic 7-6 (7-3) 7-6 (7-3). Melo and Kubot have played together since 2017, while Zeballos and Mektic are teaming up for their second time in their careers.

In the first set Kubot and Melo earned an immediate break in the first game in the first game. Djokovic and Fognini broke back in the 10th game at 15 to draw level to 5-5. Kubot and Melo came back from 1-4 down to win the tie-break 7-5. Djokovic and Fognini broke twice in the first and fifth games to clinch the second set 6-2. Kubot and Melo took the 10-6 edge in the super tie-break.

Djokovic and Fognini thrilled the crowd with their spectacular tennis, but doubles specialists won the most crucial points.

“I think the fact we played together for a long time, this makes a difference. We were aggressive in important moments. We do what we have to do and most of the time for us, it pays off. I am very happy with this, so let’s go forward for tomorrow to the finals”, said Melo.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

ATP

Nikola Mektic and Horacio Zeballos lift their maiden Masters 1000 title as a title in Indian Wells

Published

on

Unseeded Nikola Mektic from Croatia and Horacio Zeballos won their first doubles title as a team after beating Lukasz Kubot and Marcelo Melo 4-6 6-4 10-3.

Kubot and Melo drew the first blood by getting an early break in the first game, but Mektic and Zeballos broke straight back in the second game. Mektic and Zeballos fended off two break points in the third game to take a 2-1 lead. Kubot and Melo went up a break in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead. The Polish and Brazilian team fended off a break point before serving out for the first set in the 10th game.

Mektic and Zeballos were not able to convert any of their two break points in the fourth game of the second set, but they held their service games easily and broke serve in the 10th game on the deciding point forcing the match to the decisive Match tie-break. Mektic and Zeballos cruised through to winning the tie-break 10-3 clinching their maiden doubles title as a team. Zeballos and Mektic won 40 % of their return points.

Earlier this week Mektic and Zeballos saved two match points in a match tie-break against this year’s Australian Open Pierre Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut before beating Colombian doubles specialists Sebastian Cabal and Robert Farah in the quarter finals and Oliver Marach and Mate Pavic in the semifinal.

“It’s unbelievable. Being in the big press conference, it’s great. I have never been in this room. I love it”,said Zeballos in the post match press conference.

“Oh my God, we won Indian Wells. We are a great team. We can beat anyone. Especially on this tournament where the difference is a few balls. A few points will decide who is going to win. Of course you are not expecting to win, but we are going into every match confident that we can win, so we just went step by step and it happened”, said Mektic.

Continue Reading

ATP

Gael Monfils In Doubt For Miami Masters

The top 20 player has once again been hit by injury woes following a successful start to 2019.

Published

on

Gael Monfils (photo by chryslène caillaud, copyright @Sport Vision)

France’s top ranked male player is unsure if he will be able to play in next week’s Miami Masters after being forced to withdraw from the BNP Paribas Open on Thursday.

Gael Monfils pulled out of his quarter-final clash with Dominic Thiem due to a problem with his Achilles. During a press conference, the world No.19 confirmed that he has inflammation in his left Achilles after undergoing a scan. An issue that has been bothering Monfils over the past couple of days.

“I felt my left Achilles a little bit. Day after day I have been treating it with my team. And last night (Wednesday) after my match, it was actually not so good.” Monfils told reporters in Indian Wells yesterday.
“I tried a little jog in the morning, and I couldn’t really actually push on it.”
“I had an ultrasound with the doctor here (in Indian Wells), and we could see, like, a big inflammation.” He added.

Whilst not a severe injury, it is in unclear as to how long the recovery process will be. Raising the chances of Monfils skipping the Miami tournament, which relocates to the Hard Rock Stadium this year. He has already missed the past two editions of the Masters 1000 event. In 2017 he was sidelined by an ankle injury, followed by a back issue in 2018.

“It depends how fast I will heal. Definitely try the other treatment tonight.” He said.
“I will take it really easy with everything and then see how I feel, if I feel that I can play Miami or not.
“So far it’s tough to say how long, but I will stay positive and hope in a couple days I’ll be fine.”

The setback comes after what has been a solid start to the season for the Frenchman. His win-loss record for 2019 currently stands at 14-4. At the Rotterdam Open Monfils won the eighth title in his career and only the second at an ATP 500 event. He also reached the semi-finals of tournaments in Rotterdam and Dubai.

“Sometime, some people are more fragile. And I guess I’m kind of fragile with some parts of my body.” The 32-year-old admits. “That’s why I always try new routines.”
“I guess I need to stay tough mentally, because it’s never easy. But I have been through that. I have no fear, I know, for this one (injury.”

As a result of his withdrawal, Thiem will play Milos Raonic in the semi-finals at Indian Wells on Friday.

Continue Reading

ATP

Paul Hutchins, Former Player And Renowned British Davis Cup Captain, Passes Away

One of the most well known figures within British tennis has died after losing their battle with Motor Neurone Disease.

Published

on

Paul hutchins (image via twitter.com/BritishTennis)

The British tennis community is in mourning following the death of Paul Hutchins at the age of 73.

Hutchins, who is the father of former top 30 doubles player Ross Hutchins, passed away following a battle with Motor Neurone Disease. A condition which affects the motor neurons of the spinal cord and causes progressive weakness and atrophy of muscles. His death was confirmed in a statement released by his family.

Both during and after his playing career, Hutchins became an instrumental figure in British tennis. During the birth of the Open Era in 1968, he achieved his best grand slam results. Reaching the third round at both the Australian Open and US Open. In the doubles that same year, he reached the quarter-finals in Wimbledon alongside compatriot Gerald Battrick.

Following his retirement, Hutchins established himself as one of his country’s most prestigious Davis Cup captains of all time. Overseeing 31 ties between 1975-1987. In 1978 he guided Britain to the final of the team tournament for the first time in the Open Era. An achievement that wasn’t matched until 2015 by Leon Smith and his team.

Besides his Davis Cup captaincy, Hutchins also worked with British Tennis. Previously serving as the head of men’s tennis and tournament director for the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA). He also held the role of tennis team leader at the 2010 Commonwealth Games and 2012 Rio Olympics.

In 2016 Hutchins was awarded with an MBE for his services to tennis.

Tributes pour in

Following the announcement of his death, many took to social media to pay their respects. Former world No.5 player Jo Durie described Hutchins as a ‘true gent’ in a post on Twitter. Durie won two grand slam titles in the mixed doubles during her career.

World No.50 doubles player Jonny O’Mara said he was grateful for all the advice he had received from Hutchins over the years. Describing him as an ‘incredibly nice man.’ A sentiment also expressed by American player Alison Riske.

Marcus Willis, who is best known for reaching the second round at Wimbledon, spoke about the support he received during his junior years. Saying that the death has left him ‘devastated.’

Besides the players, tributes have also come from numerous media and tennis officials.

Life in photos

Embed from Getty Images

Embed from Getty Images

Embed from Getty Images

Embed from Getty Images

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending