‘I Was Intimidated And Harassed’- Bernard Tomic Breaks Silence On Alleged Incident With Hewitt - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

‘I Was Intimidated And Harassed’- Bernard Tomic Breaks Silence On Alleged Incident With Hewitt

Tomic has spoken to Channel Nine Australia about his ongoing feud with the Davis Cup captain.

Published

on

Former top 20 player Bernard Tomic has claimed that he was once threatened with permanent removal from the Davis Cup by captain Lleyton Hewitt.

During an interview with 60 Minutes on Channel Nine, 26-year-old has said the incident between the two occurred when he was a teenager. Tomic’s father, John, claims the former world No.1 was unhappy about comments made by his son at the time. On the eve of Tomic’s Davis Cup debut against Taiwan back in 2010, it is alleged that Hewitt told Tomic he would not play if he didn’t answer a series of questions.

“He sat me down and said, ‘You’re not playing Davis Cup mate tomorrow … unless you tell me these things’,” Tomic said during an interview with 60 Minutes.
“I was intimidated, I was harassed. That’s all I’ll say. I was 16 years old [sic] at a Davis Cup tie in Melbourne, Grand Hyatt [hotel]. I’ll stand by that. Further matters will be taking place.”

During this year’s Australian Open, Tomic Sr said that he has begun legal proceedings over the incident. Saying that his son has been left ‘traumatised’ following the incident. In the latest update, he has confirmed that two lawyers are involved in the case.

Tomic launched a verbal attack on Hewitt earlier this year during the first grand slam of the season. Saying that nobody in the Australian team liked him and that he was putting himself ahead of his fellow players.

Responding to the comments, Hewitt has accused his compatriot of previously threatening him and his family with physical violence and blackmailing him. Something that has been denied by the ex world No.17, who said he never involved Hewitt’s family in the feud.

“I did message him, threatening, I said … ‘If you come one metre from me I will knock you out’. And he knows that ‘if you ever try talk to me, come one metre from me’, I stand by that,” Tomic said.
“But did I mention his family? That’s pretty low. How low do you have to be to mention family, kids, and stuff? I think that’s one of the lowest things that I’ve ever heard from him. I stand by my threats towards him, but not to his family.”

One of the biggest questions regarding the incident is why the legal action has been launched now, nine years after it first happened. When questioned, Tomic insisted that he has been a victim before later taking aim at Hewitt’s ongoing reign within Tennis Australia.

“He’s got too much power and it’s not fair. It’s not fair for Davis Cup. It’s not fair for players that are not getting the chance to play Davis Cup because he’s controlling the system down there,” he said.

On Saturday the chief executive of Tennis Australia, Craig Tiley, said that his fellow player was ‘trying to deliberately damage’ his organisation. Tiley has backed Hewitt throughout the argument and said it is right to not include Tomic in the Davis Cup.

Despite not having Tiley’s support, Tomic has vowed to continue speaking his mind.

“I’m only speaking the honest truth of what I know and what I think, and what a lot of people know, as well, but are too afraid to come out,” he concluded.

Latest news

Ugo Humbert saves three match points to beat Hubert Hurkacz in Dubai

Published

on

Fifth-seed Ugo Humbert came back from one set down to beat Hubert Hurkacz 3-6 7-6 (10-8) 6-3. Humbert had beaten Hurkacz en route to his title in Marseille. 

Hurkacz converted his third break point in the fourth game to win the first set 6-3. Humbert saved three match points in the tie-break of the second set before converting his first set point to force the match to the decider. Humbert broke twice to seal the third set 6-3. 

“It was a great battle. I tried to battle for every point. In the tie-break I saved three match points, tried to do my best and thanks to those French fans for the amazing support”, said Humbert. 

Humbert set up a semifinal match against Danil Medvedev, who beats Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 6-2 6-3. Humbert leads 2-1 in their head-to-head matches, but Medvedev won their most recent match in three sets at the China Open in their most recent head-to-head match in Beijing last year.

“It’s going to be a great challenge against Danil tomorrow. We had a few great fights. Hopefully I will recover well to be ready for this match”, said Humbert. 

Aleksander Bublik was leading Jiri Lehecka 6-4 4-1 when the Czech player was forced to retire due to an injury. Bublik set up a match against Andrey Rublev, who was leading Sebastian Korda 6-4 4-3  when the Czech player withdrew due to injury. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Brazilian Rising Star Joao Fonseca Waives College Eligibility To Turn Pro

Published

on

Image via https://twitter.com/RioOpenOficial/

One of Brazil’s most promising young tennis players has made the bold decision to abandon a dream of his to play college tennis in America to turn pro. 

17-year-old Jaoao Fonseca was committed to playing college tennis at the University of Virginia but says professional tennis has called him in a way he couldn’t refuse. The rising star has played just two Tour-level events so far in his career and is currently ranked 343rd in the world. 

At last week’s Rio Open, he became the second-youngest player after Alexander Zverev to reach the quarter-finals of an ATP 500 event since the category was introduced. In his home tournament, the Brazillian beat Arthur Fils and Cristian Garin before losing to Mariano Navone.

“It was an incredibly tough decision for me and my family as I have been dreaming about living a college life in Charlottesville, playing the sport that l love with a wonderful team and coach, but, in the last months, professional tennis called me in a way that I simply couldn’t say no,” Fonseca wrote in a statement published on Instagram
“Although I will not be attending school, I think it is an extremely valuable and viable path for young players in their way to professional careers,” he added.

Fonseca has already enjoyed success on the junior circuit. Last year he was runner-up in the doubles tournament at the Australian Open boy’s event. Then at the US Open, he won his first Grand Slam junior title in singles. He is also a former ITF Junior World No.1 and is currently ranked second in the standings. 

The youngster has already been hailed by compatriot Beatriz Haddad Maia, who is currently ranked 13th on the WTA Tour. Speaking to reporters at the San Diego Open, she has offered her support to Fonseca if he needs it. 

“João is a nice person. He has a great future, if he keeps working hard and keeps doing what he’s doing. I think he has a very aggressive mentality and tennis.” She said.

“We sometimes text each other, but not that much. But I’m always following.. not only him.. but the Brazilians. I’m proud of what he’s doing. He has a long way and he needs to understand that it’s a marathon, it’s not a 100 meter race.’
“Tennis has its ups and downs. I wish him all the best, for sure. I’ll be here whenever he wants. I’m happy with what he’s doing.” 

Fonseca played at the Chile Open this week but lost in the first round to Thiago Agustin Tirante.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Emma Raducanu Among Trio of Grand Slam Winners Handed Miami Open Wild Cards

Published

on

Emma Raducanu - Cincinnati 2022 (foto Twitter @cincytennis)

Emma Raducanu has avoided the possibility of having to go through qualifying at the Miami Open after being awarded a wild card for the event on Thursday. 

The 2021 US Open champion is among four players to have received passes into the main draw of the prestigious event, which is classed as a WTA 1000 for the women and as a Masters 1000 for the men. It will be the third straight year that Raducanu has played in Miami but she is yet to win a match there. In 2022 she lost her opening match to Katerina Siniakova before getting beaten by Bianca Andreescu 12 months later. 

Raducanu has won two out of five Tour-level matches played so far this year. Recently her agent, Max Eisenbud, hit back at those who have criticised the tennis star’s results since winning the US Open. Raducanu also missed a chunk of last season due to injury after undergoing wrist and ankle surgery. 

“The girl did everything backward. She skipped every step. She won the US Open, she went to the next tournament, she didn’t even know where the player lounge was, she didn’t know where the practice courts were,” Eisenbud told the Served With Andy Roddick podcast.
“I don’t think just being tough on her or critical on her like any other player [is wrong]. But she is still figuring it out. I just think that people should not be malicious.”

Other players to have received wild cards into Miami include Venus Williams, who is a three-time champion at the event but hasn’t won the title since 2001. The 43-year-old hasn’t played on the Tour since August and is currently ranked outside the world’s top 400. 

Carolina Wozniacki completes the line-up of former Grand Slam winners being given wild cards. The Dane was a Miami finalist back in 2017 and has made 12 appearances at the tournament. Earlier this week, she suffered a 1-6, 6-4, 6-1, loss to Anna Blinkova in the first round of the San Diego Open. 

As for the men’s tournament, the only confirmed wild card recipient is Kei Nishikori who will be making his first competitive start since July 2023. Recently the injury-stricken Japanese player added Thomas Johansson to his team. 

The Miami Open will get underway on March 17th.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending