Australia, Italy Dominate To Edge Closer To Place In Davis Cup Finals - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Davis Cup

Australia, Italy Dominate To Edge Closer To Place In Davis Cup Finals

The two former champions of the team tournament made a near-perfect start to their two-day qualifying ties.

Published

on

Australia is a win away from securing a place in November’s Davis Cup finals after John Milman and Alex de Minaur kick-started their campaign with straight sets wins on Friday.

 

Taking on Bosnia and Herzegovina in Adelaide, Millman kick-started his country’s offensive with a 6-3, 6-2, win over Damir Dzumhur. A player who is ranked his 16 places lower than him in the ATP rankings. Milman was able to convert five of his seven break point opportunities and blasted four aces past Dzumhur. It was only the second time the 29-year-old has played a match in the competition and the first since his country’s semi-final clash with Belgium in 2017.

“I was determined to get the ball rolling in the right direction straight away,” said Millman.

Australian No.1 de Minaur made it 2-0 for the hosts with a 6-3, 7-6(0), win over Mirza Basic. The Next Gen star claimed 76% of his first service points and 89% behind his second. Capitalising on Basic’s 36 unforced errors and saving seven out of the eight break points he faced.

“It’s a dream come true for me, and I’m so happy that I finally was able to get a win for my country in the Davis Cup,” De Minaur said afterwards. “I think it’s amazing that we had Jonny Millman come out and get his first win (in the Davis Cup), as well.”

Heading into the clash, Australian men’s tennis has been surrounded by controversy. In January Bernard Tomic launched a verbal attack on Lleyton Hewitt. Claiming the former world No.1 was not liked by his compatriots. Hewitt later responded to those comments by saying his family has been threatened by Tomic in the past. Meanwhile, Nick Kyrgios was not picked for the tie after failing to meet ‘cultural standards.’

Despite the controversies, Millman has said the performances by him and de Minaur illustrates Hewitt’s capability of leading the Davis Cup team.

“It’s no secret that Lletyon wants to create a real culture where Davis Cup is one of the benchmarks of the year,” Millman told reporters in Adelaide.
“The opportunity to represent your country, as it was back in the old days, is something that we don’t take for granted.
“I’m all for that. It always should be like that.”

The tie will resume on Saturday with the doubles. Australia needs to win one out of their next three matches in order to qualify for the week-long finals in what is a new format for the competition.

Italy spoils India’s dream

Embed from Getty Images

On the grass courts of the Calcutta South Club, Italy experienced little difficulty against India on their opening day. The tie is the first time the two countries have clashed since 1998. Andreas Seppi started the clash with a comprehensive 6-4, 6-2, win over Ramkumar Ramanathan. Hitting 23 winners alongside 22 unforced errors. World No.37 Seppi has become a key figure in his country’s Davis Cup team. The last season he didn’t play in the competition was back in 2011.

The 2-0 lead was then secured by Matteo Barattini. The 22-year-old, who won his first ATP title last July, is making his debut in the competition this weekend. Berrettini fired six aces past Prajnesh Gunneswaran to win 6-4, 6-3, in under an hour.

“I was dreaming about this as a child. I was really happy and focused on the match. I’m really enjoying the moment and I’m glad it went my way,” Berrettini said about winning his first match in the competition.

Three-time Davis Cup finalists India faces a tall order to turn their fortunes around on Saturday. The country was in a similar situation against China last year before fighting their way back to win 3-2. Team captain Mahesh Bhupathi is hoping his country will be inspired to do the same again.

“They are so much more experienced. If you take your chances you get rewarded. We understand the pressure of playing for the country. Strange things happen. It has happened in China. I know Italians are stronger than China but we will take one match at a time,” Bhupathi told The Press Trust of India.

As for Italy, they are bidding to win the title this year for the first time since 2096.

Elsewhere at the Davis Cup. Serbia has a 2-0 lead over Uzbekistan and Japan is tied at 1-1 with China.

Davis Cup

Roger Federer Cast Doubt On Return To Davis Cup

The Swiss Maestro addresses his future in the team competition.

Published

on

20-time grand slam champion Roger Federer has admitted that there is a chance that he may not play in the Davis Cup again before he retires from the sport.

 

The former world No.1 hasn’t played in the team competition since 2015. This year the event has undergone a major revamp with the help of financial backing from investment company Kosmos. In November 18 teams will travel to Madrid and play in a week-long round-robin format. Removing the tradition of home and away ties. Both Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic have confirmed they will be playing in the event.

One of the most notable absentees from the event will be Federer as Switzerland hasn’t qualified for the finals. However, the 38-year-old has in the past voiced his concerns over Gerald Pique’s involvement. Pique is the founder of Kosmos.

“I put in a lot of energy into the Davis Cup over the years.” Federer told reporters in Shanghai.
“I played a lot of matches. It’s been a lot of work. Winning (the title) in 2014 was a dream come true for Stan and me and the team, and Rosset, even though he was not on the team, he thought it was the greatest thing ever, and it was.”

Federer has represented his country in 27 Davis ties during his career and has won 52 out of 70 matches played. He has won more matches in the competition than any other player from his country. Whilst boasting a strong record, Federer admits that he is uncertain about playing in the event again.

“I have not officially retired from the Davis Cup, so that means I don’t know what to tell you, maybe, but obviously more likely no than yes, as I’m getting older and I have other things I would like to also do and go to places I have never played before.” Federer replied when asked about his future in the Davis Cup.
“It’s one thing and then having the four children and the wife is another. I just can’t be everywhere. I always said when you play the Davis Cup you have to miss out on Masters 1000. Is that worth the give? Not always. Not for me anyway.”

In recent years Federer has applied his focus to another team event – the Laver Cup, which he co-founded. From 2020 there will be three team tournaments taking place on the men’s tour every year due to the revival in the ATP Cup in January.

“Federer was the only player reluctant to play this new Davis Cup.” Pique told Spanish TV programme e ’El Hormiguero’.
“He has the Laver Cup too and, whatever you say, there is bound to be some competition.
“It is not easy. We are there working and I think that in the end we will understand each other.”

The Davis Cup finals will get underway on November 18th at the Caja Magica, which is the venue of the Madrid Open. Meanwhile, at the same time Federer will be going on a tour of South America where he will play a series of exhibition matches. Alexander Zverev and Juan Martin del Potro will join him on parts of the tour.

Continue Reading

Davis Cup

Juan Martin Del Potro Hits Back At Claim Made By Pique Over Davis Cup Involvement

It had been claimed that the former top 10 player was pondering playing in Madrid later this year.

Published

on

The team of former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro has denied that he has been involved in talks with Kosmos to play in the revamped Davis Cup later this year.

 

It had been claimed by Kosmos founder Gerard Pique that the Argentine has been in negotiations about playing the event, which has undergone a change in format. In November 18 teams will travel to Madrid to play in a week-long group competition. Similar to that of the football World Cup. A move that has divided opinion in the sport with critics arguing that the change is too radical.

“We are talking with Del Potro, (but) it obviously depends on the injury, see how he returns. But yes, we are in permanent contact with him.” Ubitennis’ Spanish-language site quoted Pique as saying.

Pique, who plays football for Barcelona F.C, was caught on audio saying the statement. However, it has now been suggested that he has either misspoken on even lied about del Potro. A statement issued by Del Potro’s communications team stated that no such thing has happened.

“TeamDelpo clarifies that there were no negotiations between the Kosmos Group and Juan Martin del Potro about the next Davis Cup in Madrid.” Their statement reads.
“We deny in this way the journalistic versions that speak of economic arrangements, “approaches”, “departures” or “concrete offers.”

The 30-year-old hasn’t played a match on the ATP Tour since injuring his knee at the Fever-Tree Championships in June. The latest setback for the injury-stricken player, who has undergone five surgeries since 2014. Del Potro is set to start his latest comeback in Europe at the Swedish Open, which will start on October 14th.

It has been rumoured that during the Davis Cup finals, Del Potro could play Roger Federer in an exhibition match in his home country on November 20th. Federer is another high-profile absentee from the team event. The potential clash has been reported by Argentinian journalist Danny Miche in his podcast. However, it is understood that nothing is finalised as of yet due to various economic factors.

There has been no response so far from Kosmos regarding Del Potro’s statement.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

De vuelta en una cancha! 🙌💪🔨🎾 . . Hitting again!

A post shared by Juan Martin del Potro (@delpotrojuan) on

Continue Reading

ATP

Gerard Pique Sheds Light On Chances of Roger Federer Returning To Davis Cup

The Swiss maestro is the only member of the Big Three not to feature in the revamped event later this year.

Published

on

There is a 50/50 chance that Roger Federer could play in next year’s Davis Cup finals, according to Kosmos founder Gerard Pique.

 

The Barcelona F.C. player has confirmed that talks are ongoing about the former world No.1 featuring in the historic event, which has been revamped this year. For the first time in it’s 119-year history, the finals will take place over a week and feature 18 teams taking part in a round-robin format. The change has split opinion in the sport, but was given the green light at the ITF’s annual AGM meeting last year. Pique’s investment company Kosmos is a key financial backer of the changes.

One notable absence from this year’s finals, which will be held in Madrid, is Federer. The former world No.1 has in the past been a critic of the new format. Once saying the tournament has been designed for ‘the future generation of players,’ but not him. He has also warned against the team competition being turned into the ‘Pique Cup.’ A term the Spaniard is not a fan of.

“I wanted since the first moment I arrived in the tennis world, is to try to help this sport.” Pique said during an interview with Sport Business.
“Switzerland has not qualified for November so even if Roger wants to play in this event, he cannot, but we are talking with him and his agent to discuss the possibility to play in 2020.”

As is currently stands, Federer is the only member of the big three not to be playing. Rafael Nadal has vowed to play if healthy and Novak Djokovic announced his attendance on the eve of the US Open. The Serbian had previously expressed his reservations over participating due to its close proximity to the ATP Cup, another team event that will kick-off in January.

“I just feel like the date of the Davis Cup is really bad, especially for the top players. Between the two, I will prioritize the World Team Cup because that’s a competition of ATP.” The world No.1 said last year.

So why has Djokovic decided to play in Madrid? When asked in Flushing Meadows he said he wanted to represent his country. However, Pique believes there is more to it than that. Saying that he had managed to persuade the Serbian following conversations between the two.

“I said to him, ‘I know you are an ATP player but at the same time you represent the federation of Serbia, which is part of the ITF which invests in young talent and the future of tennis. I think it makes total sense that you participate in both competitions because it is a message that at the end of the day that you want [for the ATP and ITF] to work together.”

One criticism of the event is the timing of the finals. They will take place between November 18-24, the week after the ATP Finals in London. Partly eating into what is already a relatively short off-season for many players on the tour.

ITF President David Haggerty is hoping that negotiations over a potential change in dates can be made in the future with the new leader of the ATP. Current CEO Chris Kermode will be leaving his position later this year after failing to receive enough backing in a ATP board meeting.

“There is leadership change coming and once that’s completed we will continue discussions to see what’s the best date.” Haggerty outlined.
“We need to have the first Davis Cup finals in November and the ATP Cup will be in January and then we will have more facts and have a good discussion.”

The inaugural Davis Cup finals will be held at the Caja Magica. The same venue as the Madrid Open, which takes place annually in May.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending