Teenage Qualifier Bianca Andreescu Stuns Venus Williams In Auckland - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Teenage Qualifier Bianca Andreescu Stuns Venus Williams In Auckland

The fairytale run of the 18-year-old continues at the ASB Classic.

Published

on

Prior to this week, 18-year-old Bianca Andreescu had never defeated a top 10 player in her career. Now she has achieved two within as many days.

Following up on her shock win over Caroline Wozniacki on Thursday, qualifier Andreescu has knocked out former world No.1 Venus Williams 6-7(1), 6-1, 6-3, in the quarter-finals at the ASB Classic. The world No.152 looked on course to defeat after trailing the match by a set and a break. Then an extraordinary turn of events saw the Canadian break a lacklustre Williams six consecutive times as she won 11 games in a row.

“I believe that anything is impossible and tonight I think I did the impossible.” Andreescu said during her on-court interview. “I don’t know what to say, It’s such an amazing feeling.”

Andreescu’s tenacious play on the court was one that drew numerous mistakes from her 38-year-old rival, who made her professional debut almost six years before she was born. Williams produced almost four times more errors than winners. Ending the match with a tally of 46 unforced errors to 12 winners. In comparison, Andreescu’ achieved a ratio of 53 to 39.

“My goal was to qualify and maybe get a couple rounds in.” She said.
“I believed in myself until the end. I fought and I really enjoyed myself.”

Born in Mississauga, Ontario and of Romanian descent, Andreescu is a two-time grand slam doubles champion in the juniors that was ranked as high as third in the world. Her win over Williams moves the teenager into her first WTA semi-final and she is set to crack the top-115 for the first time in her career.

Andreescu will play either third seed Hsieh Su-Wei or Spain’s Sara Sorribes Tormo in the next round.

Goerges survives

Earlier in the day, defending champion Julia Goerges battled her way past Eugenie Bouchard 3-6, 6-3, 7-6(6), after more than two-and-a-half hours of play. The German second seed trailed 0-3 in the decider and then had to save a match point before snatching the win from Bouchard in the decisive tiebreaker.

“For these conditions it was a pretty good match. We both made the best out of it and overall I’m very satisfied,” Goerges said afterwards.
“I think the best part of my game today was finding solutions, trying to find way to come back in that third set, which I did really well.
“Overall, with these conditions sometimes you can’t do something and it looks amateur, because some balls you just don’t know where they’re coming, they’re just flying somewhere.
“For the conditions, it was a good match, especially the third set and the tiebreak.”

Next up for Goerges will be Slovakia’s Viktoria Kuzmova, who will be bidding to reach her first WTA final at the age of 20. The world No.50 overcame American wildcard Amanda Anisimova 6-3, 2-6, 6-4, earlier in the week.

The two players have played against each other three times last year with Goerges winning all of those matches in straight sets.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

ATP

‘You’re A F***ing Disgrace’ – Nick Kyrgios Erupts At The Miami Open

Another tournament, another on-court controversy involving the former top 20 player.

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios (photo by Chryslène Caillaud, copyright @Sport Vision)

Australia’s Nick Kyrgios is in line for another hefty fine after blasting the umpire following his doubles match with partner Taylor Fritz.

Kyrgios, who is no stranger to either controversy or fines, completely lost his cool after being edged out of the doubles. Losing 6-7(4), 7-6(3), 8-10, to Guido Pella and Joao Sousa. Throughout the match there was a series of dubious line calls that infuriated the Kyrgios team. Something the racket-smashing 23-year-old complained to the umpire about seconds after the clash.

“What the f**k is wrong with you?” Kyrgios shouted at the umpire. “You’re a f**king disgrace. F**king disgrace.”

Continuing to unleash his rage on the court, Kyrgios interacted with the crowd. Asking them  ‘Do you think that’s alright, yes or no?’ The outburst was caught on camera by one fan, who uploaded in onto his Twitter account.

‘Just give me the answer. He’s a disgrace. ‘I come out and give 100% and I have to deal with idiots like him. Does he get fined for his mistakes? It’s rubbish, man.’ Kyrgios said.

It is not the first time the world No.33 has raised eyebrows for his actions. He previously served a brief ban from the sport in 2016 for unsportsmanlike conduct during the Shanghai Masters. Meanwhile, last June he was fined more than $17,000 for making a lewd gesture during the Fever-Tree Championships in London.

The controversy is a stark contrast to Kyrgios’ opening match in the singles. Taking on Alexander Bublik, he prevailed 7-5, 6-3, with the help of a fairly disciplined and mature performance. He is already a two-time semi-finalist in Miami and has won more matches (11) at the tournament than any other Masters 1000 event.

“I know he’s a player who tries to keep things on his own terms… kind of reminds me of me a little bit,” he said of Bublik. “He just needs to play those bigger points with a little more discipline. Strange me saying that…
“I thought he was going to put me on a couple of highlight reels. I knew he was trying to at some stage. I knew I had to be the disciplined one of the two today.”

Kyrgios will return to the Miami Court’s on Sunday when he play’s Dusan Lajovic in the third round.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Angelique Kerber Exits Miami By Branding Andreescu A ‘Drama Queen’

It was a very frosty ending to the match between the two at the Hard Rock Stadium.

Published

on

Angelique Kerber (photo by Chryslène Caillaud, copyright @Sport Vision)

Angelique Kerber’s run at the 2019 Miami Open won’t be remembered so much for tennis, but for the words she said following her final match.

The two-time grand slam champion bowed out 6-4, 4-6, 6-1, in the third round on Saturday night to Bianca Andreescu. Suffering her second loss to the Canadian in as many weeks following their clash in the final at Indian Wells. During what was a tense encounter between those two, the match was overshadowed by a frosty handshake at the end. During which Kerber called the 18-year-old “the biggest drama queen ever.

Questioned about the comment afterwards, world No.24 Andreescu said she didn’t hear what was said at the time. She is now on a 10-match winning streak and is undefeated against top 10 opposition this year. Andreescu ended 2018 ranked 178th in the world.

“She said something, but I’m not sure what,” New York Times journalist Ben Rothenberg quoted her as saying. “I just didn’t say anything, whatever, I’m not trying to focus on that. I’ll just let my tennis talk.”

It is unclear as to what lead up to the jibe from Kerber. During their match in Indian Wells, Andressce requested a medical time out during the deciding set. Something that might have been interpreted as a tactical time out. However, the teenager did have a couple minor injury issues coming into that match. Nevertheless, Kerber praised her afterwards.

“She played good, especially in the third set. When she had the chances, she just goes for it. Yeah, she put the balls in the court. At the end, she deserved to win.” The German said.
“She played the whole tournament good. I know that I had to play my best tennis. But, yeah, at the end, I was not able to take my chances, but she did it.” Kerber added.

Following her latest loss, Journalist Jannik Schneider described Kerber as ‘downhearted’ as she addressed the media in the mixed zone at the Miami Open. Revealing that the 31-year-old currently has some sort of thigh issue, but it is unclear how severe it is. Could Kerber’s words be out of frustration and nothing other than that?


Next up for Andreescu will be Estonia’s Anett Kontaveit in the fourth round.

 

Continue Reading

ATP

David Ferrer Books Showdown With Alexander Zverev In Final Miami Open

The former world No.3 has made a winning start to his last ever appearance at the Masters 1000 event.

Published

on

David Ferrer pictured at the 2018 Miami Open (photo by Chryslène Caillaud, copyright @Sport Vision)

Whilst the end of his career is in sight, David Ferrer has illustrated that he still has the ability to compete at the top level of the sport.

The 36-year-old, who will officially retire in May, dropped just five games during his 6-3, 6-2, win over Sam Querrey in the first round of the Miami Masters. Winning 81% of his first service points and dropping serve only once throughout the encounter. Ferrer was also able to capitalize on a mixed display from Querrey, who produced a costly 34 unforced errors. More than three-times his tally of 10.

“I enjoyed it a lot. It’s Miami, a lot of people have supported me all these years. For me, it’s a great experience to play in this new stadium,” Ferrer told TennisTV. “I’m really happy because I played really good… I am doing my goal, and my goal is to be competitive.”

The Spaniard is making his 17th consecutive appearance in Miami this year. Since making his debut back in 2003, Ferrer has won 33 out of 49 matches played at the event. In 2013 he reached the final before being denied the title by Andy Murray. He has also reached the quarter-finals or better on five other occasions.

Ferrer’s next opponent comes in the shape of Alexander Zverev. A player who was only six when Ferrer played his first match in Miami. Their head-to-head is in favour of the German, who leads 4-2 and has won their four most recent meetings on the tour. Their most recent clash occurred last month in Acapulco, where Zverev prevailed in straight sets.

“It’s going to be tough, the last few times I’ve lost (against him).” Ferrer admits. “I know he’s an incredible player, he’s number three in the world. So I will have to play really good to beat him. I will try my best and enjoy every point that I play.”

Currently ranked 155th in the world, Ferrer is set to play his final competitive match at the Madrid Open. He is one of only four active players on the tour to achieve 700 or more wins. During his career, Ferrer has won 27 ATP titles and finished seven seasons in the world’s top 10.

 

Continue Reading

Trending