Former World No.1 Thomas Muster Details Work With Anastasija Sevastova - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Former World No.1 Thomas Muster Details Work With Anastasija Sevastova

The Austrian has been working behind the scenes with the world No.12 since 2014.

Published

on

1995 French Open champion Thomas Muster has opened up for the first time about his four-year partnership with Latvia’s Anastasija Sevastova.

Muster, who won 44 ATP titles between 1986-1997, has claimed that he was an instrumental figure in persuading the 28-year-old to return to the tour. Sevastova retired from the sport in May 2013 due to persistent injuries, but returned in January 2015. Since returning, she has claimed two WTA titles and peaked at a high high of 11th last month. Sevastova also achieved her best performance in a grand slam at this year’s US Open where she reached the semi-finals.

“I’ve been looking after Anastasija Sevastova for four years. Hardly anyone knows that.” Muster told Austrian newspaper Tiroler Tageszeitung.
“She had already stopped, had nothing left. I brought her back to tennis, now I coach her over the phone. I do that for free, no one has to know.”

The bond between Muster and Sevastova originally started when she was working in Austria. During her hiatus from the tour, Sevastova was teaching tennis at the Better Tennis Academy in Vienna, whilst going to university at the weekend to study tourism. Her boyfriend, Ronald Schmidt, coached Muster during the later stages of his career.

“Thomas gives us advice again and again, we have a great relationship with him and are very happy that he helps us with many things – in the tournament planning, training and with mental things.” Schmidt told Tennis Magazin earlier this year.

Whilst Sevastova is a high-profile player, Muster prefers to stay in the background. The 51-year-old is Austria’s most successful player. Prior to Rafael Nadal, he was nicknamed the ‘king of clay’ after winning 24 consecutive finals on the surface between may 1990 and July 1995. He also held the No.1 ranking for six weeks during 1996.

“I never liked the attention, never understood why I was made such an idol. I did a good job, but there were always more important things than tennis.” Muster reflected.

Sevastova ends 2018 with a win-loss record of 47-23 and has achieved four wins over top 10 players.

Latest news

Li Na, Mary Pierce, Yevgeny Kafelnikov To Be Inducted Into The Hall Of Fame

The International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport has chosen the inductees for the Class of 2019. They are Li Na, Mary Pierce and Yevgeny Kafelnikov

Published

on

International Tennis Hall of Fame members and inductees at the 2019 Australian Open: (left to right) Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Li Na, Mary Pierce, Evonne Goolagong, Kim Clijsters (photo Twitter @AustralianOpen)

Chinese tennis great Li Na, France’s Mary Pierce, and Yevgeny Kafelnikov of Russia, each a two-time Grand Slam singles champion among their many career accolades, have been elected to receive tennis’ ultimate honor in 2019 – induction into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.

Li Na, China’s first global tennis star, reached the world No. 2 ranking and was a champion at both the French Open and the Australian Open. Pierce is a former world No. 3 in singles and doubles, and four-time major champion, having won a singles title at the Australian Open, singles and doubles titles at Roland-Garros, and a mixed doubles title at Wimbledon. In addition to his two major singles titles, Kafelnikov is a former world No. 1, Olympic Gold Medalist, and the winner of four major doubles titles.

The new inductees will be celebrated on Tuesday, January 22 in a special ceremony in Rod Laver Arena at the Australian Open, joined by many other Hall of Fame tennis legends such as Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Kim Clijsters, Frank Sedgman, Ken Rosewall and Cliff Drysdale.

It’s a pleasure to congratulate Li Na, Mary Pierce, and Yevgeny Kafelnikov, and to welcome them into the International Tennis Hall of Fame,” stated Hall of Fame President Stan Smith. “They are three incredibly hard-working athletes who set and achieved goals at tennis’ highest levels. This is a well-deserved honor, and we look forward to celebrating them as Hall of Famers in Newport in July.”

I’m incredibly honored to become a Hall of Famer. I love tennis and am grateful for all the opportunity it has provided me. I have loved seeing the sport grow in China and I’m proud to be part of that history. To have my career and China’s growing tennis history be recognized at the International Tennis Hall of Fame is a great honor and I’m humbled and grateful. I look forward to the celebration in Newport this year and to becoming a Hall of Famer,” said Li Na.

Pierce remarked, “To be recognized alongside some of the most accomplished, inspiring people in our sport is a huge honor. It’s humbling and gratifying, and I’m thrilled to become part of the International Tennis Hall of Fame.

Kafelnikov, who could not be in Melbourne at the ceremony, was the first-ever major singles champion for Russia. He commented, “I’m very honored to become a Hall of Famer and to represent Russia among tennis’ greatest champions.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Simona Halep Sheds Light On Potential New Coach To Replace Darren Cahill

The world No.1 has been spotted with a Belgian mentor at the Australian Open, who recently halted his partnership with another player on the ATP Tour.

Published

on

Simona Halep (photo by chryslène caillaud, copyright @Sport Vision)

Simona Halep has confirmed that she is ‘talking’ with a Thierry Van Cleemput about the possibility of him joining her team in the future.

The two were spotted together at Melbourne Park on Monday whilst Halep was warming up for her match against Serena Williams, which she lost in three sets. Cleemput was also present at her fourth round match and sat a row behind her player’s box. Halep is currently without a coach after she split with Darren Cahill during the off-season. Cahill announced a 12-month break from coaching in order to spend more time with his family.

“We are talking, but he is not my coach officially, so we will see.” Halep said during her press conference.

Van Cleemput has worked as a coach since 1993 and has guided some of the best male players in his home country. Spending stints with Olivier Rochus and Steve Darcis. He was also the assistant team captain of the Belgian Davis Cup team between 2002-2005. Up until last week Cleemput had been working with David Goffin, but they have separated on ‘mutual grounds.’ A decision Halep has stated that she had no impact on.

“I have nothing to do with their split. I like him as a coach. I like him as a person.” She said.
“We haven’t decided anything yet. We just have to know each other better. We are just talking.”

Halep confirmed that she spoke with Cleemput after he had split with Goffin.  Although she remained coy when asked if she was the one who approached him first.

Reflecting back on her Australian Open campaign, the world No.1 says she is contempt with her performance. Prior to her loss to Williams, she scored wins over Kaia Kanepi, Sofia Kenin and Venus Williams. Prior to Melbourne, she hadn’t won a match since August after ending her 2018 season early due to a back injury.

“I haven’t been prepared for the highest level in tennis, but I did not play bad, so I’m happy about the way that it’s been going this tournament, and I take only the positives.” She said. “I had great matches. I had the toughest draw, but it was nice.”

As a result of her loss, Halep faces the possibility of losing her No.1 ranking next week. She has held the top spot since February 2018.

“I will not stress myself about this. I just go home, I will rest, and I will watch tennis. I am also curious who is going to win (the Australian Open).” She concluded about the situation.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares reach the doubles quarter final after saving three match points

Published

on

Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares fended off three match points to take a come-from-behind win over Kevin Krawietz and Nikola Mektic by the scoreline of 6-7 (3-7) 6-2 7-5 after 2 hours and nine minutes in the doubles tournament at the Australian Open in Melbourne.

The British and Brazilian doubles team, who won the Australian Open doubles title in 2016, reached the quarter final, where they will face former Nitto ATP Finals Henri Kontinen and Jonathan Peers (Murray’s former partner) in the quarter finals.

Murray and Soares fought back from losing the first set by breaking serve in the second set and at the end of the end of the third set.

Murray and Soares reeled off five consecutive points to draw level to 5-5, as they were serving at 4-5 0-40, and won the final two games to seal their spot in the quarter final. Murray and Soares won 82 % of their first serve points.

Murray and Soares have reached the quarter final for the fifth time in their last nine Grand Slam tournaments.

Murray also reached the third round of the mixed doubles tournament. The Scottish player teamed up Bethanie Mattek Sands claimed a 6-4 6-4 win over Robert Lindsted and Kristina Mladenovic.

Reigning French Open doubles champions Pierre-Hugues Herbert and Nicolas Mahut came back from one set down to beat US Rajev Ram and Great Britain’s Joe Salisbury 4-6 7-6 (7-5) 6-4 setting up a quarter final clash against US legends Mike and Bob Bryan. Salisbury and Ram opened up a 5-2 lead in the tie-break of the second set, but they dropped five consecutive points to lose the second set.

Lukasz Kubot and Horacio Zeballos converted four of their eight break points in their 6-4 7-6 (7-4) win over Australian wildcards Blake Ellis and Alexei Popyrin setting up a quarter final match against either Ryan Harrison and Sam Querrey or Jack Sock and Jackson Withrow.

Continue Reading

Trending