Spanish Players Verdasco, Marrero Caught Up In Match-Fixing Scandal At Wimbledon - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Spanish Players Verdasco, Marrero Caught Up In Match-Fixing Scandal At Wimbledon

The 2013 ATP World Tour Finals Champions have issued statements following suspicions they deliberately corrupted their own match at the The All England Club.

Avatar

Published

on

David Marrero (R) and Fernando Verdasco of Spain (zimbio.com)

An investigation has been launched by the Tennis Integrity Unit into a Wimbledon men’s doubles match concerning two Spanish players.

 

Former world No.7 Fernando Verdasco and his partner David Marrero have been contacted by the sports anti-corruption agency concerning their loss in the first round. Last week, ABC Australia confirmed that a match has been reported to authorities without naming the players. It was done so after bookmaker Pinnacle Sports spotted ‘irregular betting patterns.’ The New York Times later became one of the first publications to link Verdasco and Marrero to the case.

“We followed our strict protocol when it comes (to) match-fixing alerts by notifying the authorities on site at Wimbledon and reducing our market offering immediately,” Pinnacle manager Sam Gomersall was quoted as saying by ABC News.

Pinnacle Sports suspicions were raised when they noticed that bets placed on the match was being done from accounts that had a history of wagers on suspicious matches. Verdasco and Marrero lost the match 7-6 (8-6), 6-4, 6-7 (7-9), 6-1 to Argentina’s Leonardo Mayer and Portugal’s Joao Sousa.

Both players have now spoken out about the allegations for the first time. Denying any wrongdoing. 38-year-old Marrero, who is a former world No.5 doubles players, told the EFE news agency that he was ‘surprised’ that he was under investigation.

“I was at home packing my suitcase because tomorrow, Friday, I’m heading to Germany, and this news caught me by surprise. I had no idea. What do want me to say? Just like always, go ahead and investigate because I’m very much at ease,” He said on Thursday.

Later that same day, Verdasco took to social media to protest his innocence. Stating that he would ‘never compromise’ the integrity of the sport.

A murky history

It is not the first time that Marrero has been under investigation. During 2016 bets was suspended on a mixed doubles clash involving him and Lara Arruabarrena at the Australian Open. They lost their match 6-3, 6-0 to Andrea Hlavackova and Lukasz Kubot. Both players had their phones examined by the TIU before they were later cleared of match-fixing.

During that same year Verdasco was forced to deny that he was involved in match-fixing after the media questioned him about a series of suspicious matches. Including the first round of the 2015 US Open where there was changes in the odds to suggest a heavy bet being made against him. Verdasco defeated Tommy Haas 3-6, 6-1, 6-7(3), 6-3, 6-1.

“There is many things that they said about someone,” he told reporters in January 2016.
“You know, at the end we know that all that is out there and we will fight to change that. But it is hard, no? At the end there is many people in this world, and is impossible to control everyone. But we are trying – if it was up to me, I would take out the betting. But I can’t. I don’t have that power. We are trying to fight against that. I cannot really say anything more. Like I said, it’s tough to control what everybody says.”

The fight continues

Earlier this year a long-awaited report by the Independent Review Panel concluded that there was a ‘Tsunami’ of corruption in lower level events. But found no evidence of a cover-up by the sports governing bodies. Between 2009-2017 they concluded that 83% of suspicious matches involved the men’s tour.

The issue continues to be a problem in the world of tennis. The ESSA (Sports Betting Integrity) reported that they have flagged 27 suspicious matches during the first quarter of 2018. More than double compared to any other sport.

In June, former world No.78 Nicolas Kicker was handed a six-year ban (of which three years are suspended) for match-fixing offences in what was one of the most high-profile cases of recent years. He was also found guilty of failing to co-operate with the relevant authorities.

Ubitennis has contacted Pinnacle Sports, who flagged up the Verdasco and Marrero match. When asked if they have identified any other suspicious matches at this year’s Wimbledon Championships, they declined to give a comment.

Latest news

(VIDEO EXCLUSIVE) Rafael Nadal Doesn’t Care How Much Pain He’s In, He Gets The Job Done

Hall of Famer Steve Flink gives his verdict on Rafael Nadal’s epic victory which might result in his withdrawal from Wimbledon!

Avatar

Published

on

By

Image via https://twitter.com/atptour/

Matches don’t come as dramatic as the one Rafael Nadal played on Wednesday. 

 

The 22-time grand slam champion dealt with an abdominal injury, lost a break advantage in three sets and still managed to win after four hours of pulsating play. Awaiting him in the next round will be Nick Kyrgios if he is fit enough to play. Kyrgios dismissed Cristian Garin in straight sets in his quarter-final match. 

Flink and Ubitennis’ CEO Ubaldo Scanagatta review all the action that took place on day 10

Continue Reading

ATP

Injured Rafael Nadal Ousts Fritz In Wimbledon Thriller

The world No.4 is through to the semi-finals but there are new doubts over his current health.

Avatar

Published

on

Rafael Nadal has kept his chances of achieving a calendar slam alive by defeating American Taylor Fritz in a dramatic quarter-final match at Wimbledon where he struggled with injury. 

 

The second seed took a medical time out during the second set but continued to battle to a sensational 3-6, 7-5, 3-6, 7-5, 7-6(10-4), win over Fritz. Two days ago Nadal was seen wearing tape on his abdomen but refused to go into details when asked by reporters. Although it was clear that this issue is ongoing with the Spaniard crouching over a couple of times after serving in pain. 

“The body is generally fine. Of course, in the abdominal area, something is not going well. I had to find a way to serve a little bit differently,” said Nadal. “I was thinking during a lot of moments that I would not be able to finish the match but the energy (of Center Court) was something else.”

In the roller-coaster encounter, 19 breaks of serves occurred throughout the marathon match. During the gut-busting 260-minute showdown Nadal saw plenty of chances come and go. In each of the first two sets, he had a break advantage before losing them. He also failed to maintain a break advantage in the decider before coming through in the tiebreak. Nevertheless, he managed to come out on top with the help of 5 aces and 55 winners. 

“I enjoy playing these kinds of matches in front of you guys (the crowd),” the Spaniard continued. 
“It has been a tough afternoon against a great player. All the credit to Taylor, he has been playing great the whole season.’
“From my side, it was not an easy match and I am happy to be in the semifinal.”

The triumph is a bitter pill for Fritz to swallow who was bidding to become the youngest American man to reach the last four at Wimbledon since 2005. Until now he had been on an eight-match winning streak.

As for Nadal, he is through to his eighth Wimbledon semi-final and 38th at a major event. He is now 8-0 when it comes to playing quarter-final matches at the tournament.

Amid concerns over the abdomen, Nadal now has only two days to recover in time for his blockbuster showdown against the formidable Nick Kyrgios who came through his match in straight sets against Cristian Garin. Nadal leads their head-to-head 6-3 and has won their two previous meetings at SW19.  

“I hope to be ready to play it,” he said of the semi-final.
“TNick is a great player on all surfaces, especially on the grass. He’s having a great grass-court season and it’s going to be a great challenge. I need to be one hundred percent.”

At the age of 36 Nadal is seeking to reach his first Wimbledon final since 2011.

Continue Reading

ATP

“I Thought The Ship Had Sailed’ – Nick Kyrgios Reaches Maiden Wimbledon Semis

The 27-year-old reacts to achieving a new milestone in his career.

Avatar

Published

on

Nick Kyrgios (AUS) - Credit: AELTC/Jonathan Nackstrand

Nick Kyrgios has achieved his best-ever result at a Grand Slam tournament after beating Cristian Garin in straight sets in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon. 

 

Kyrgios, who was playing in the last eight of the tournament for the first time since 2014, rallied to a 6-4, 6-3, 7-5(5) win over his Chilean rival. Becoming the first player from his country to reach the last four of the men’s draw since Lleyton Hewitt did so back in 2005.  


”I felt I was playing on the back foot a lot. He’s a hell of a player,” Kyrgios said afterward. “He’s obviously very confident. Hell of a tournament for him to make the quarter-finals. I got lucky on a couple of break points here and there. It could have been him standing here (giving the winner’s interview).”

In what was a largely controlled match from Kyrgios, he produced a total of 17 aces alongside 35 winners against 29 unforced errors. There were the occasional outbursts and criticism of the lines officials but it was by nowhere as controversial as his previous encounters against Stefanos Tsitspas in the third round and Paul Jubb in the first.

The breakthrough comes during what has been a turbulent career. Kyrgios has been a player involved in many controversies and was at one stage issued with a suspended ban from the Tour due to unsportsmanlike conduct. However, his talent was never doubted but many were unsure if he could be consistent enough to have a deep run at a major event. He once was at a pub until 4 am on the same day he was due to play Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon.

“It was an amazing atmosphere out here (on court one). I never thought I will be in the semifinal of a grand slam. I thought my ship had sailed.” He admits. 
“I didn’t go about things earlier in my career great and I may have wasted (time).’
‘I’m really proud of the way I’ve come back out here with my team and with that performance.”

As one of the few top 100 players who travel without a coach, Kyrgios paid tribute to those around him. 

“I don’t have a coach I would never put that burden on someone,” he jokes.
“Each and every one of my team plays an important role. I feel like nobody knows my tennis better than I do. I’ve been playing this sport since I was seven and to be in the semi-final of a slam I am pretty happy.”  

Kyrgios is the lowest-ranked Wimbledon semi-finalist since 2008.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending