The president of the International Tennis Federation believes the proposed revamp of the Davis Cup has enough support ahead of a key vote next month.
David Haggerty spoke about his bid to change the men’s team tournament during an interview with German publication Tennis Magazin. The ITF chief wants to turn the event into a year-end showdown. Where 18 teams would travel to one location to play over seven days in November. The plans have been backed by Investment company Kosmos, who has pledged to pump $3 billion into the tournament over 25 years. Kosmos is owned by Barcelona F.C. footballer Gerard Pique.
“We are confident about the election. We’ve spent the past six months consulting with national associations, players, fans and other stakeholders in tennis to get their feedback, and on the whole it has been very positive.” Said Haggerty.
“National associations acknowledge that our partnership with Kosmos represents a great opportunity to change the Davis Cup and secure its future in the long run.
“The reforms we are proposing will directly benefit national associations by creating significant new revenues for global tennis development.”
Despite the upbeat view from Haggerty, there have been sharp criticism of the changes. With some describing them as too radical. Some of the key critics include Yannick Noah, Amelie Mauresmo and Lleyton Hewitt. Lucas Pouille has also previously threatened to boycott the event if any change occurs. It is understood that both the Belgian and German federations will vote against the proposal being put forward.
“We continue the dialogue with the DTB. We hope that Germany, as a leading tennis nation, understands how well our reform nations are benefiting all over the world.” Haggerty commented about the current situation.
“From a global perspective, this is the right decision for tennis and I hope the DTB supports the initiative.”
The ITF hopes that the possible new format will help attract more top players to the competition. In the past, players have said that it has been hard to play in the Davis Cup due to their scheduling commitments. Regarding the controversial motion of removing home and away ties, the ITF believe they have reached a good compromised. Allowing home and away ties to be played in the early rounds of the competition at the start of the year.
“Bringing together the top 18 teams in one venue for a seven-day season finale will enhance the profile and meaning of the Davis Cup and appeal to the global audience.” The ITF chief claims.
A vote on the proposed changes will take place on August 16th at the ITF AGM meeting. The plan needs at least two thirds of the votes in order for it to go ahead.
Former Tennis Star Robin Soderling Appointed Davis Cup Captain
The former world No.4 is hoping to make waves in the team competition.
Robin Sodering has taken on a new role in the world of tennis after being appointed the captain of the Swedish Davis Cup team on Wednesday.
The 35-year-old takes over from Johan Hedsberg, who has held the role since January 2017. Soderling is a former world No.4 player and the last player from his country to contest a grand slam final at the 2010 French Open. After winning 10 ATP titles, his career came to an abrupt end after he failed to recover from a long-term illness. Soderling was hit by mononucleosis in 2011, a viral illness also known as glandular fever. He spent four years away from the tour before officially retiring in 2015.
“Being able to lead the best players in the country is an honour, so it was a pretty easy decision.” He told tennis.se.
“I have not thought about this, but when the question came, I immediately felt that I wanted to do this. I want it to go well for Swedish tennis.”
Sweden has won the Davis Cup seven times with their most recent triumph occurring back in 1998. They are currently playing in Group I of the Europe/Africa zone. This season the team managed to reach the World Group playoffs, but suffered a 4-0 defeat to Colombia. Sweden last played in the top tier of the competition back in 2012.
Soderling had been working with Elias Ymer, who is currently ranked 176th in the world. He is the brother of world No.76 Mikael Ymer, who is Sweden’s top men’s player. The reason for the end of their collaboration was because Soderling wanted to spend more time with his family. He is married with two children under the age of 10.
“I worked with Elias Ymer for a year and thought it was fun and educational. It was as close as you can get to your own career when playing yourself.” He said.
“But it became too much for me with over 30 trips a year. It didn’t work with my family situation. Maybe I listened too much to “Fidde” (Fredrik Rosengren) who said he had not seen his children in 25 years. I wasn’t prepared for that. I received questions after the assignment with Elias but declined no.’
“This assignment as the Davis Cup captain does not mean as many trips and given that I like tennis overall and above all Swedish tennis, the choice was easy.”
Soderling’s first test will be in March when his country takes on Chile on home soil. A team who has two top 100 players in singles. The winner will be moved into the 18-team Davis Cup finals, which was launched for the first time this year.
“Sweden has certainly not been favourites in all those matches. They have done really well.” He stated.
“If you look at the (Swedish) team, we have a good team with Mikael and Elias Ymer even though we are not super wide overall compared to many other countries that have several players in the top 100. But we are competitive and actually play for a place in Madrid against the world best team.”
During his playing career, Soderling played in 10 Davis Cup ties and won 14 out of 18 matches.
The ITF Reacts With Caution To Russian Doping Ban
Ubitennis contacted a member of the governing body following the decision to suspend the nation from all major sporting events.
The International Tennis Federation has said it will wait until an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) from Russia is made before pondering any potential implications it may have on tennis.
On Monday the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) slammed the country with a four-year ban from hosting or attending ‘major sporting events.’ Including the 2020 Olympics and 2022 World Cup. Russia was issued with the penalty for continuous breaches of anti-doping rules. The most recent being evidence that they deliberately tampered with laboratory data by planting fake evidence to cover up failed drugs tests.
The decision to ban Russia was unanimously made, according to a spokesman from WADA. In 2015 an extensive report revealed a state-sponsored doping programme on a mass scale. Resulting in Russia being suspended from international athletics events, including the 2016 Olympics, but they were still allowed to compete as neutral athletes.
“For too long, Russian doping has detracted from clean sport. The blatant breach by the Russian authorities of Rusada’s reinstatement conditions demanded a robust response. That is exactly what has been delivered.” WADA chief Sir Craig Reedie said.
“Russia was afforded every opportunity to get its house in order and rejoin the global anti-doping community for the good of its athletes and of the integrity of sport, but it chose instead to continue in its stance of deception and denial.”
Following the announcement, Ubitennis contacted the ITF to establish their stance on the decision. The governing body is recognised by WADA. Heather Bowler, who is the ITF’s executive director of communications, points out that throughout the investigation, none of the doping violations have been linked to tennis.
“According to the WADA decision issued earlier today (Monday), Russian athletes will only be eligible to compete in major competitions subject to satisfying certain conditions listed by the WADA Compliance Review Committee.“ Bowler said in a statement.
“The ITF is not currently aware of any Russian tennis player having been mentioned in incriminating circumstances in the McLaren Report (2016) nor has any evidence been provided to the ITF at this time in relation to the manipulation, alteration or deletion of anti-doping data in the Moscow anti-doping laboratory’s database.” She added.
Unless there is a successful appeal made, Russian tennis players will only be allowed to participate in the upcoming Olympics under a neutral status. Meaning they are not allowed to fly their own flag. Furthermore if somebody such as Daniil Medvedev wins a gold medal, the Russian national anthem will not be played during the medal ceremony.
Bowler states that all Russian players have been tested under the sport’s own anti-doping controls and not just that of the controversial RUSDA. Indicating that it is unlikely that they will be banned from ITF events such as the Davis Cup unless a new significant discovery arises. The WADA’s definition of a ‘major sporting event’ is confusing at best. They are still allowed to host football matches during the 2020 European Championships because Uefa isn’t classed as a ‘major event organisation.’
“Tennis has a zero tolerance anti-doping policy. All players competing at Grand Slams and ITF, WTA and ATP sanctioned events are subject to the WADA-compliant Tennis Anti-Doping Programme (TADP); a comprehensive programme which includes athlete biological passports, in-competition and out-of-competition testing and the year-round whereabouts programme. Russian players will have been tested under the TADP, outside of Russia.” Bowler outlines.
“WADA’s decision is subject to appeal by RUSADA. For that reason, we will not comment further until that process has reached its final conclusion and we have had the opportunity to review its outcome.”
Kafelnikov – ‘There was a doping system’
Following the verdict, former world No.1 and 2000 Olympic champion Yevgeny Kafelnikov spoke out. The 45-year-old is now the deputy head of the Russian Tennis Federation. Talking with national media, he blamed those directly involved in the doping programme for not admitting their guilt. Saying that it has resulted in athletes getting unfairly punished. Whilst some officials have doubted the allegation of a state doping system, Kafelnikov has stated the opposite.
“There was a doping system in Russia, I have no doubt about it. Someone must be punished for this.” sport-express.ru quoted him as saying.
“Russian sports could have a reputation if those people, a group of people who started all this, just went out and said: “Yes, I’ve messed up, please forgive me.” I am sure that then in this case there could be some relief for Russian athletes. But no one wants to take responsibility for this. As a result, everything is shifted to poor athletes.”
As for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Kafelnikov has urged his fellow compatriot to still attend the event under a neutral flag if the appeal fails. Saying the event is a priority for ‘every self-respecting athlete.’ During his career, he only participated in the four-year sporting event once.
“If I faced such a dilemma: to go to the Olympics under a neutral flag or to refuse to play for the national team, I would go under a neutral flag,” said Kafelnikov.
“For any self-respecting athlete, the Olympic Games are a priority.”
As of this week, there are 11 Russian tennis players in the top 100. Three on the men’s tour and eight of the women.
Former Grand Slam Champion Hits Out At ‘Abysmal’ Davis Cup
Australia’s most successful doubles player in Davis Cup history isn’t happy about the changes made to team event.
Former world No.1 Doubles player Todd Woodbridge has taken a fresh swipe at the revamped Davis Cup and their allocation of wild cards for the 2020 finals.
The 48-year-old has blasted the format of the historic team event following major changes that was made this year. Last month was the first time the finals took place over a week with 18 teams participating in one location in Madrid. At the event there was a few blips with the scheduling being at times problematic. Highlighted by the tie between the USA and Italy that went on until 4am.
Despite the issues, there were also positives to be taken away from the event, which was won by Spain. However, Woodbridge remains a critic. The Australian is his country’s most successful doubles player in the history of the Davis Cup with 25 wins under his belt. Overall, he played in 32 ties over a 14-year period (1991-2005).
“The tennis itself has been brilliant, the organisation has been abysmal,” Woodbridge said on Australian programme Sports Sunday.
“Everything from IT issues, to playing matches that finish at 4am, and then today the ITF go, ‘Well we’re going to put in more wild cards.”
It is the wild cards decision that has irritated the 16-time grand slam champion the most. Recently it was announced that Serbia and France has been handed passes into the finals next November. Meaning that will not have to go through the play-off ties. Woodbridge has suggested the move was deliberately made in order to persuade Novak Djokovic to play in the event again.
“They’ve given wild cards this week, for 12 months’ time. You’ve got to ask the question, how can you do that? It looks like they’re guaranteeing Novak Djokovic a spot for next year … ‘We want you back so we’re going to guarantee you can be there, you don’t have to play the qualifying match earlier in the year,” he said.
“And then France have also been put in, so you’ve got to ask the question, the President of the ITF is also French and I’m sure he’s had a big influence in that discussion. They’ve got so many things to fix if it’s going to be a success next year.
“The biggest issue was crowd. We (Australia) played our first match with about 400 people watching, and that’s a great disappointment.”
Gerard Pique if the founder of Kosmos, whose investment has enabled the transformation of the Davis cup. In a recent interview with Spanish media, he said the allocation of a wild card to France was done so the country ‘feel part of the competition because the format will continue like this.’
“We’re delighted with how everything went and above all with the final, which Spain won,” he told Onda Cero about the 2019 Davis Cup finals. “There are things which need to be improved, like the times of the games, which has an easy solution in the form of adding another court and changing the times a little bit.”
The 2020 Davis Cup qualifying rounds will get underway in March.
Australian Open Day 8 Preview: Five Must-See Matches
John McEnroe Lashes Out At ‘Offensive And Homophobic’ Margaret Court
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day Seven: Roger Federer Fights Back Once Again
Thomas Musters Hints At Conflict With Thiem After Sudden Axe From Team
Injury-Stricken Juan Martin Del Potro Suffers New Blow And An Uncertain Future
Roger Federer And Rafael Nadal Branded ‘Selfish’ As Fallout Over Australian Open Conditions Continue
Roger Federer Responds To Criticism From Environmental Activists
Gael Monfils and Benoit Paire lead France to a 2-1 win over Chile
REPORT: Juan Martin Del Potro To Miss Australian Open
As Bushfires Rages, The Australian Open Is Left In Limbo
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day Seven: Roger Federer Fights Back Once Again
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day Four: American Men Continue To Exceed Expectations
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day Three: Roger Federer Gains Momentum As Wind Causes Havoc
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day 1: Rain Causes Havoc, But Djokovic And Federer Still Shine
(VIDEO) Season’s Greetings From Ubitennis
Hot Topics3 days ago
Serena Williams Blasts ‘Unprofessional’ Performance Following Shock Australian Open Defeat
Grand Slam3 days ago
Caroline Wozniacki Bids Emotional Farewell To Tennis After Defeat to Jabeur
Hot Topics2 days ago
Stefanos Tsitsipas Exits Australian Open Frustrated, But Not Heartbroken
Hot Topics3 days ago
Novak Djokovic Praises Coach Ivanisevic After Serving Masterclass At Australian Open
Grand Slam3 days ago
Serena Williams Crashes Out Of The Australian Open With Shock Loss To Wang
WTA2 days ago
Sofia Kenin sets up clash with Cori Gauff in Melbourne
Focus2 days ago
Roger Federer Survives Millman Scare To Reach Australian Open Fourth Round
ATP2 days ago
Marin Cilic prevails over Roberto Bautista Agut in five-set thriller in Melbourne