Juan Martin Del Potro reaches the fourth round at Roland Garros for the third time in his career - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Juan Martin Del Potro reaches the fourth round at Roland Garros for the third time in his career

Published

on

Fifth seed Juan Martin Del Potro beat 2016 French Open Albert Ramos Vinolas 7-5 6-4 6-1 in two hours and 18 minutes to reach the fourth round at Roland Garros for the third time in her career.

 

Del Potro broke six times and dropped his serve twice from the five opportunities he faced. The Argentine player hit 32 winners to 29 unforced errors and won 22 points more than Ramos Vinolas. The first set went on serve in the first seven games with just one break in the first seven games at 2-2, which Del Potro fended off. The Tower of Tandil broke serve in the eighth game, but he did not manage to serve out for the set. He dropped his serve, as he was serving for the first set. Ramos Vinolas held serve at love to draw level to 5-5, but Del Potro broke serve in the 12th game to close out the first set 7-5.

In the second set Ramos Vinolas got the break at 2-2, but Del Potro broke straight back in the sixth game. The Indian Wells champion clinched another break to take a 5-4 lead and served out for the set in the next game.

Del Potro went up a double break in the second and sixth games and served out for the match at 5-1 to set up a fourth round match against this year’s Miami winner John Isner, who beat Frenchman Pierre Hugues Herbert 7-6 (7-1) 6-4 7-6 (7-4). Isner hit 17 aces and saved just one break point he faced.

Del Potro lost against Andy Murray in the third round at last year’s edition of the French Open.

“After the first set, I took the control of the game, I played at a high level most of the match. It was a tougher first set for both, but I did well in just a couple of points, very important moments. Then I played much better. I felt good on court, and my movements were okay for today, so I am glad for that. I think I am strong enough to keep doing well. It has been three difficult matches for me, but I played well and I know I could play even better in my next round. All the guys who are still alive in this tournament have a big chance to go far, so now the tournament becomes more interesting to watch and to play ”, said Del Potro.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

ATP

Rafael Nadal Hoping Coronavirus Will Not Spoil His Olympic Dreams

The 19-time grand slam champion speaks out about the worldwide outbreak.

Published

on

World No.2 Rafael Nadal has said he is hopeful that a remedy can be found to contain the worldwide Coronavirus outbreak in order to stop what he describes as ‘fear’ erupting.

 

Several countries have declared major medical emergencies in order to tackle the illness, which also goes by the name of Covid 19. It is believed to have originated in China, where the most infections and deaths from the illness have been recorded. However, Iran is also struggling with an outbreak, Italy has quantified 11 towns, Saudi Arabia is preventing foreign pilgrims from entering their country and Japan has closed schools.

Coronavirus has also had an impact on various tennis events with a string of Chinese ITF and Challenger events cancelled. Meanwhile on Sunday, the final of the ATP Bergamo Open in Italy was cancelled due to concerns. Making it the first time an European event has been impacted by the threat posed by Coronavirus.

“I hope it is controlled, that a remedy is found and this uncertainty is stopped, this psychosis, this fear. It is the most important thing, not only for the Olympic Games, but for humanity, “ Nadal commented on the issue following his second round win at the Mexican Open.

One of the biggest sporting events is also under threat – the Olympic Games. This year’s edition will be held in Tokyo, Japan. IOC council member Dick Pound has recently said the sporting event will be cancelled if there is ‘world health at stake.’ The World Health Organisation is currently working with Olympic organizers, who are keen to empathise that they have no intention of cancelling the event.

“Our basic thoughts are that we will go ahead with the Olympic and Paralympic Games as scheduled,” Committee chief executive Toshiro Muto recently told Japanese reporters.
“For the time being, the situation of the coronavirus infection is, admittedly, difficult to predict, but we will take measures such that we’ll have a safe Olympic and Paralympic Games.”

Nadal is one of many tennis players hoping to win a gold medal later this year. The Spaniard is already a three-time Olympic after competing in 2004, 2008 and 2016. He has previously won two gold medals. Claiming the singles title in 2008 and the doubles trophy alongside Marc Lopez in 2016.

“Regarding the Olympic Games, to say that it is one of the most special events in the world. It is a unique experience to be there and I consider it the most difficult tournament to win because you only have two or three chances in your career, “ Nadal commented.

The Olympic tennis tournament will get underway on July 25th. It will be held at the Ariake Coliseum.

Continue Reading

ATP

Novak Djokovic reaches the semifinal in Dubai for the ninth time in his career

Published

on

Novak Djokovic cruised past Karen Khachanov 6-2 6-2 in one hour and six minutes to reach the semifinal at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Tournament for the ninth time in his career.

 

Djokovic dropped 13 points in eight service game and converted on five of his nine break points. He dropped his serve only once in the first set.

Djokovic held serve with a drop shot winner in the third game and broke serve at love with a forehand return down the line winner in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead. The 2020 Australian Open champion held his serve with a drop shot winner in the third game and broke serve at love with a return down the line winner.

Djokovic held serve at love with a volley winner to consolidate the break. The Serbian player went up a double break earning his chance to serve for the set, as Khachanov netted a backhand in the sixth game. Khachanov pulled one break back after a forehand error from Djokovic, as the Serb failed to convert a set point in the next game. Djokovic got another break in the eighth game to clinch the opening set 6-2 on his third set point in 32 minutes, as Khachanov hit a backhand into the net.

Khachanov fended off a break point in the second game of the second set before Djokovic earned a break at love in the fourth game with a lob. Djokovic sealed the second set with another break at 5-2.

“I don’t know if I am playing the best tennis of my career. That’s a big statement, but I am feeling and playing well.  I like the conditions, but in windy conditions it’s not easy to serve and find rhythm. I know it wasn’t Karen’s day, but I think I played a very solid match. I am trying to be in the present and execute my game plan”, said Djokovic.

Continue Reading

ATP

Stefanos Tsitsipas reaches his second consecutive semifinal in Dubai

Published

on

Last year’s finalist Stefanos Tsitsipas came back from one set down to beat Jan-Lennard Struff 4-6 6-4 6-4 reaching the semifinals at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships for the second consecutive year.

 

Struff earned three set points at 5-4 in the opening set. Tsitsipas recovered to 30-40, as Struff hit two forehands into the net. The German player converted his third break point chance to win the first set 6-4 after 45 minutes.

Tsitsipas earned an early break in the first game of the second set, as Struff hit a forehand long at 15-40. Tsitsipas rallied from 15-40 down, when he was serving for the second set at 5-4, and converted his second set point with a forehand down the line winner.

Struff fended off four break points in the first game of the decisive set. Tsitsipas earned the decisive break in the ninth game to take a 5-4 and sealed the win on his first match point. Tsitsipas will face Daniel Evans, who beat Andrey Rublev 6-2 7-6 (11-9).

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending