Lleyton Hewitt Handed Wildcard Entry Into Queen’s - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Lleyton Hewitt Handed Wildcard Entry Into Queen’s

The former world No.1 is set to make his 17th appearance at the London tournament.

Published

on

Lleyton Hewitt will return to The Queen’s Club for the first time in three years after being granted a wildcard entry into the doubles draw.

 

Hewitt, who officially retired from the sport two years ago, will pair up with Nick Kyrgios in the tournament. It will be only the second time the two will play a doubles tournament together following their first round loss at the 2015 Canadian Open. Kyrgios has been sidelined from the sport for the past six weeks due to a shoulder injury, but is set to play in the Lyon Open alongside Jack Sock.

“The Fever-Tree Championships at The Queen’s Club will always have a special place in my heart. The memories I have of beating Pete Sampras in the final when I was a teenager are as vivid now as they’ve ever been.” Hewitt said in a statement.
“The grass is always perfect, they look after the players, and it’s just a really special tournament to me, and I think to everyone that’s played there. I still love to compete, I can still play a bit, and to be given the chance to get out there with another Aussie is something I’m really looking forward to.”

The 37-year-old is a four-time champion of the event. Between 2000-2003 he was undefeated in the tournament as he claimed three consecutive titles. He scored his fourth in 2006 after defeating James Blake in the final. Hewitt has already made 16 appearances at the London tournament with his first dating back to 1998.

“We know that our ticket-holders are going to love the chance to see Lleyton and Nick playing doubles together for the first time in Britain. Lleyton is one of our all-time greats, and we can’t wait to see him back at The Queen’s Club again.” Said tournament director Stephen Farrow.

Hewitt will also play in the Surbiton Trophy a week prior to Queen’s with Alex Bolt. His first Challenger event since 1999.

Corrie gets rewarded

Embed from Getty Images

In the singles draw, Great Britain’s Cameron Norrie has been granted a pass. The 22-year-old has made steady progress on the tour over the past 12 months by climbing more than 100 places in the ATP rankings. Earlier this week he defeated Jose Hernandez-Fernandez in the first round of the Lyon Open. A win that has secured him entry into the top 100 for the first time in his career.

“Cam has really pushed on over the last year and shown that he can mix it with the top players on any given day, whether it be his performances in Davis Cup or qualifying for the bigger ATP events.” British Davis Cup captain Leon Smith said of Norrie.
“He now needs to start winning matches regularly in main draws, make the Top 100 and push on from there. A wild card into the Fever-Tree Championships at The Queen’s Club is a great opportunity to do exactly that.”

Norrie was born in South Africa, moved to New Zealand at the age of three before residing in London at the age of 16. He also attended university in Texas, USA. His parents were both born in Britain.

So far in his career, Norrie has won a trio of Challenger titles. In the doubles, he claimed his maiden ATP title with British No.1 Kyle Edmund at the Estoril Open in May.

The Fever-Tree championships will get underway on June 17th. As it currently stands, 17 out of the world’s top 30 players are set to take part.

ATP

American No.3 Reilly Opelka Blasts ‘Shocking’ ATP Cup

The new event has been described as unfair and a embarrassment by the American.

Published

on

MADRID, SPAIN - NOVEMBER 19: Reilly Opelka of United States during the Group F match between USA and Canada during Davis Cup by Rakuten Madrid Finals 2019 at Caja Magica on November 19, 2019 in Madrid, Spain. (Photo by Corinne Dubreuil / Kosmos Tennis)

With the Davis Cup currently under close scrutiny this week, one player on the tour have turned his criticism to a brand new team event coming to the tour in 2020.

 

Reilly Opelka has launched a verbal attack on the ATP Cup, which will get underway in January. The event features 24 teams playing in three cities across Australia. Unlike the Davis Cup, both prize money and ranking points are available. Many of the world’s top players have already confirmed their intention to play in the event. Although one noticeable absence will be Roger Federer.

“The ATP Cup is pathetic. I think it’s shocking on behalf of the ATP for them to pass that and allow that.” The 22-year-old told reporters in Madrid.
“It’s pretty embarrassing, actually. It’s pretty bad for the sport. It makes it (the tour) more top-heavy than it already is.”

The teams for the ATP Cup are determined by the ranking of the country’s highest ranked player. However, with only two singles players allowed to play in each team some countries find themselves in a tough spot. Once being America, who currently has eight players in the top 100. Opelka argues that due to the rules of the competition, the distribution of ranking points is unfair.

“I’m 35 in the world. I’m not going to play because I’m the second- or third-highest ranked American, and only the top two guys play.” He stated.
“It counts as an additional 19th tournament. So every player gets 18 tournaments on their ranking card. So you have to take your top 18 results, those go for your ranking. Those that play ATP Cup gets a 19th. So it’s unfair, there’s not equal opportunity for everyone.”

Opelka used the example of Moldova playing in the ATP Cup as one of the reasons why he is frustrated. The country has qualified due to the ranking of their top player Radu Albot, who is currently ranked 46th in the world. However, Moldova’s second highest ranked player is outside the top 800.

Fortunately concerning the Davis Cup, the former Wimbledon junior champion has a much more favourable view. This week is the inaugural week-long finals, which has encountered some blips already. The most being the schedule of the event with some ties now finishing until as late as 4am.

“I’m a fan of the new format. Maybe making it every two years or every three years would be I think the next step in the right direction.” Opelka concluded.
“Tennis players are pretty good at that. You don’t really know when you’re going to play matches. You can go really long, or you can go really quick. We’re used to being on standby.” He added.

This week is Opelka’s debut in the Davis Cup.

Continue Reading

ATP

Serbia beats France 2-1 to secure spot in Davis Cup quarter final

Published

on

Serbia qualified for the quarter finals at the Davis Cup at the Caja Magica in Madrid with wins in both singles matches by Filip Krajinovic over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Novak Djokovic over Benoit Paire.

 

In the opening match Filip Kajinovic beat Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-5 7-6 in 1 hour and 48 minutes to give Serbia a 1-0 lead.

Krajinovic dropped two points on his first serve and earned his first three break point at 3-3 before breaking serve in the 11th game after a loose forehand from Tsonga. The 27-year-old Serbian player sealed the opening set 7-5 with a service winner.

Tsonga fended off three break points in the opening game of the second set. The Frenchman earned his only break point chance on return at 2-1, but Krajinovic saved it to draw level to 2-2. Both players held serve in the next eight games to set up a tie-break. Krajinovic earned the crucial mini-break on the 12th point to close out tie-break 7-5.

World number 2 Novak Djokovic cruised past Benoit Paire 6-3 6-3 in 70 minutes to secure the qualifying spot for Serbia in the quarter final.

Djokovic saved two break points in the first match of the opening set. The Serbian player earned a break in the eighth game and sealed the opening set 6-3 on his third set point.

Paire dropped his serve in the third game of the second set after a backhand down the line winner from Djokovic. The Serbian star hit a return winner at 5-3 to set up a quarter final clash against Russia on Friday.

Last week’s ATP Finals champions Pierre Hughes Herbert and Nicolas Mahut beat Janko Tipsarevic and Viktor Troicki 6-4 6-4. Herbert and Mahut broke serve in the fifth game to seal the opening set 6-4. Tipsarevic and Troicki broke serve in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead. Herbert and Mahut got the break back in the fifth game. After saving a break point in the eighth game Herbert and Mahut earned the decisive break in the ninth game and closed out the match on his first set point.

Serbia set up a quarter final against Russia, who qualified as one of the two-best-placed group runners-up by clinching second spot in Group.

Continue Reading

ATP

Jack Sock and Sam Querrey take late-night decisive doubles clash over Italy

Published

on

The clash between Italy and the USA came down to a decisive doubles match at the Caja Magica in Madrid after Fabio Fognini and Taylor Fritz won their respective singles matches.

 

Fabio Fognini  beat Relly Opelka 6-4 6-7 6-3 after 1 hour and 54 minutes to give Italy a much-needed win to the Italian team.

Fognini earned an early break at 1-1 after two errors from Opelka and dropped just five points in five service games. Fognini did not face a break point to close out the first set 6-4 in 33 minutes.

Both players stayed neck and neck setting up a tie-break. Opelka earned a mini-break to take a 5-3 lead in the tie-break and earned three set points. The US player sealed the first set point, but Opelka converted his second chance 7-4.

Opelka saved the first break point with an ace, but Fognini converted his second chance with a forehand passing shot in the second set to take a 2-0 lead. Fognini dropped just three points to build up a 5-2 lead. Fognini served out the win on his first match point to give Italy a 1-0 win.

“I am tired for sure because it was tough. One of the things I did today was my serve, don’t ask me why. I am surprised about that”, said Fognini.

Taylor Fritz came back from one set down to beat Matteo Berrettini 5-7 7-6 (7-5) 6-2 in the second match. Berrettini saved a break point in the second game with a forehand down the line and a service winner. In the fifth game Fritz saved two break points in the fifth game. Berrettini broke serve in the 11th game to take a 6-5 and sealed the first set on his first set point.

In the third set both players stayed neck and neck til the sixth game to draw level to 3-3. In the seventh game Fritz saved a break point. Berrettini held his serve at love. Fritz closed out the second set at 6-5 after 51 minutes.

Berrettini saved two consecutive break points in the first game of the third game. Fritz rallied from 0-30 down to hold his serve for 1-1. Fritz broke twice in the third and fifth games to race out to a 5-1 lead. Berrettini saved a match point and held his serve for 2-5, but Fritz sealed the win on his second match point.

“Playing for my country is all the motivation I need. I just kept digging, kept fighting. It was really close. I lost the first set by close margin, and I told myself to tough out the second set like I know I can do, and my aggressive and fitness carried me through the third”,said Fritz.

Jack Sock and Sam Querrey came back from a set down in the decisive doubles match to take a 6-7 (4-7) 7-6 (7-2) 6-4 to give the USA a 2-1 win. The doubles match ended shortly after 4 am and was one of the latest finishes to a match in tennis history.  The USA finished second in the Group F behind Canada, who secured the first spot with their wins over Italy and the USA earlier this week. Neither team  was able to earn a break in the first two sets. Italy broke serve to take a 3-1 lead. Sock and Querrey broke back immediately before earning the decisive break at 4-4. The US team served out the win after 2 hours and 30 minutes.

“Reilly played a great match and Taylor came out in in a tough position knowing he needed to win. To get the doubles means a lot”, said Querrey.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending