Dan Evans Capable Of Re-Entering Top 100, Says Petchey - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Dan Evans Capable Of Re-Entering Top 100, Says Petchey

The former British No.2 is currently unranked after serving a doping ban.

Published

on

Dan Evans (zimbio.com)

Great Britain’s Dan Evans has been backed to rise back into the world’s top 100 following a drugs ban by former player and tennis analyst Mark Petchey.

 

The 27-year-old returned to the tour this week after serving a 12-month doping ban. During the 2017 Barcelona Open, Evans tested positive for cocaine and was subsequently suspended. His comeback started at a Challenger event in Glasgow, where he received a wildcard into the qualifying draw. The British player managed to reach the main draw, meaning he will regain an ATP ranking, but lost in the first round to world No.238 Lucas Miedler.

“I’m not really disappointed, it was a good match, he’s better than his ranking I’m sure of that and it was a good level match,” Evans said following the defeat.

Looking at the bigger picture, former world No.80 Petchey believes Evans has the ability to return back to the main stage of the tour. The Birmingham-born player have been ranked as high as 41st in the world. At the start of the 2017 season he reached the fourth round at the Australian Open for the first time. During the same month he also reached his first and so far only ATP Final is Sydney.

“He’s already qualified for a tournament, lost in three to a seeded player, but Dan’s a fantastic player. He’s very talented and is one of those players who hits the ball out the middle of the racket incredibly easily, and if if he’s as hungry as it would appear I think by this time next year it will be a realistic target to see him potentially re-enter the top 100.” Petchey told Sky Sports.
“I think it would take a minimum of a year for Dan to get back there depending on obviously which tournaments he can qualify for and get in. Some of its going to be determined by wild cards and things like that.”

Throughout his career, Evans has been dubbed the ‘bad boy’ of British tennis. Twice during his junior career, he had his funding cut by the British LTA due to his antics. The most noticeable being during the 2008 Wimbledon boys doubles tournament where he lost a match after leaving a nightclub at 3am. He also once missed a British Futures event because ‘he lost track of time’ with his friends.

Despite the controversy, Evans has always been regarded as one of the most talented players in his home country. Illustrated by wins over players such as Kei Nishikori, Marin Cilic and Dominic Thiem.

“Dan served his punishment and it’s taken a year out of his prime. He’s probably going to need another year to get back to where he was, probably not even prior to being banned, and for me that’s punishment enough.” Petchey said about Evans’ suspension from the tour.

There is a chance that Evans could return to Grand Slam tennis in July at the Wimbledon Championships. An event he reached the third round of back in 2016. To do so, he would need to rely on the All England Club granting him a wild card.

“We have our wild card meeting on June 19 and, if he applies, he will be considered along with any other wildcard applications,” said chairman Philip Brook.

Evans will re-enter the world rankings next Monday in roughly 1200th place.

Latest news

Karen Khachanov and Andrey Rublev sign up to play exhibition tournament in Khimki

Published

on

Karen Khachanov and Andrey Rublev have signed up to play an exhibition tournament in the Russian city of Khimki in the Moscow region in June.

 

Khachanov won his first Masters 1000 title in Paris Bercy in 2018. He broke into top 10 of ATP Rankings in June 2019 and achieved his career-high of number 8 on 15th July. Last year he reached two semifinals at the Masters 1000 tournament in Montreal and at the China Open in Beijing (ATP 500 tournament). He defeated Juan Martin Del Potro to reach his first Roland Garros quarter final. The Russian player also advanced to the quarter finals in Indian Wells, Halle, Moscow and Vienna. In 2020 he won four of his five singles matches at the ATP Cup for the Russian team, who qualified for the semifinals before losing to Serbia. He advanced to the Australian Open third round for the second consecutive year and to the quarter final in Dubai in the last tournament played before the suspension due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Rublev started the 2020 season with back-to-back titles in Doha and Adelaide and reached the fourth round at the Australian Open and two quarter finals in Rotterdam and Dubai.

The best WTA players expected to take part in the Kimkhi tournament are Anastasya Pavlyuchenkova, Veronika Kudemertova, two-time Grand Slam champion Svetlana Kuznetsova and Vitalia Diatchenko. Pavlyuchenkova came back from a set down to beat Angelique Kerber advancing to the quarter finals for the second consecutive year at the 2020 Australian Open.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Barty’s father said that her daughter was sad and wanted to step away from tennis in 2014

Published

on

Ashleigh Barty rose up the ranking sas a teenager after finishing runner-up at three Grand Slam doubles tournaments with Australian veteran Casey Dellacqua at the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open in 2013. The Aussie team also won one title at the Birmingham Classic. Barty decided to step away from tennis in 2014 to play women’s cricket and started playing for the Western Suburbs Cricket Club, a local team that competes in Brisbane Women’s Premier Cricket Twenty League.

 

“It was too much too quickly for me as I have been travelling from quite a young age. I wanted to experience life as a normal teenaged girl and have some normal experiences”, said Barty at that time.

 Ashleigh’s said during a webinar organised by the Active SG Voyager Tennis Academy that he was not surprised when his daughter decided to step away from the sport after the 2014 US Open.

“Ash was sad all the time. She was not herself on the court. I said to my wife that we had just got to make sure that Ashleigh was happy. Her happiness was more important. Were we disappointed ? Of course we were, because we love watching tennis and we were hooked on tennis. To see Ash happy and see her around her sisters and having fun again was so much better than having her miserable and going out and playing tennis”, said Rob Barty.

Barty started her 2019 season with a runner-up finish to Petra Kvitova in Sydney. The Aussie player reached her first quarter final at the Australian Open, where she beat Maria Sharapova before losing again to Kvitova. Barty won her first maiden Premier Mandatory title in Miami and claimed her first Grand Slam trophy at Roland Garros. Barty became the first Australian player to win at Roland Garros since Margaret Court in 1973.

Barty followed up her Roland Garros with a back-to-back title in Birmingham on grass. She has become the second Australian player to be number 1 in the WTA Ranking since Evonne Goolagong Cawley. Barty’s winning streak came to end when she was beaten by Alison Riske in the fourth round at Wimbledon.

Barty reached the semifinal in Wuhan before winning the WTA Finals in Shenzhen beating Elina Svitolina in the final. Barty finished the season as the world number 1. Last January she started the 2020 season with a title in Adelaide before losing to eventual champion Sofia Kenin in the semifinal at the Australian Open. During her career Barty clinched eight singles titles and ten doubles titles.

Continue Reading

ATP

Juan Martin Del Potro Splits From Coach

The tennis star has announced a big change to his team.

Published

on

Former US Open champion Juan Martin del Potro is on the hunt for a new coach after agreeing to end his collaboration with Sebastian Prieto to continue focus on his rehabilitation from injury.

 

Del Potro has been working alongside Prieto since 2017 and achieved a series of career milestones under his guidance. Including winning his maiden Masters 1000 title at the 2018 BNP Paribas Open and reaching a ranking high of third in August that same year. Their decision has been made to allow Prieto to focus all of his attention on Juan Londero. Another Argentine player who is currently ranked 62nd in the world.

“I want to share that I have agreed with Sebastian Prieto to end our partnership, so that he can work with Juan Londero, while I continue my rehab process,” Del Potro said on Twitter.
“I’m very thankful to Piper for all of these years together. He is a great coach and even a better person. All the best!”

45-year-old Prieto is a former ATP player who peaked at a ranking high of 22nd in the doubles. During his career, he won 10 Tour titles with all of those occurring on the clay. He also reached the quarter-finals of the men’s doubles tournament at the 2003 French Open.

It is currently unknown as to who will be taking over as Del Potro’s new coach. The former grand slam champion hasn’t played a competitive match since last June due to a serious knee injury. At the Fever-Tree Championships in London, he fractured his right kneecap and was forced to undergo surgery to repair it. The second time he had to undergo that procedure within as many years after also suffering a similar injury at the 2018 Shanghai Rolex Masters.

Del Potro is currently undergoing rehabilitation and it is unclear as to when he will be able to return to the Tour again. All professional tennis tournaments have been either suspended or cancelled until at least July 31st due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Although both the US Open and French Open are hoping to go ahead as planned.

So far in his career, the 31-year-old has won 22 ATP titles and earned almost $26 million in prize money. Earning more money than any other player from his country in the history of the sport.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending