Miami Open Plays Down Claims Of Crowd Abuse By Caroline Wozniacki - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Miami Open Plays Down Claims Of Crowd Abuse By Caroline Wozniacki

Avatar

Published

on

Caroline Wozniacki (zimbio.com)

The tournament director of the Miami Open has insisted that players receive adequate protection following claims that the family of Caroline Wozniacki received death threats during a match.

 

On Saturday the Australian Open champion posted a statement on her Twitter account in which she slammed the behaviour of the crowd. During her second round clash with world No.82 Monica Puig, which Wozniacki lost in three sets, the Dane said that she and her family was verbally abused by members of the crowd. Criticising the security officials of failing to act.

“During the match people in the crowd threatened my family, wished death upon my mom and dad, called me names that I can’t repeat here and told my fiance’s niece and nephew (who are 10 years old) to sit down,” Wozniacki wrote on her Twitter account.

The allegations made by the former world No.1 have triggered a fierce defence by the tournament director. James Blake, who was officially appointed to the position earlier this year, insisted that the safety of players is his ‘number one priority.’ Disputing Wozniacki’s claims that the security failed to address the abuse she received during the match.

“We had tournament and WTA staff as well as tournament security courtside,” Blake said. “They never witnessed nor were they notified of any specific threats made to the players or their families. If we had been notified, the situation would have been handled immediately.”

Regardless of the swift response by officials, Wozniacki has called for lessons to be learnt from her situation. It is not the first time the Miami crowd has gotten under the skin of a player. Last year Nick Kyrgios experienced numerous bursts of booing throughout his semi-final clash with Roger Federer. Something 18-time grand slam champion Chris Evert described as ‘a lot of boos for no reason.’

“I hope the Miami Open chooses to take this seriously because it’s a horrible example to set for the next generation of tennis players and fans.” Wozniacki concluded in her statement.

The Miami Open is categorised as a Premier Mandatory tournament for the women and a Masters 1000 for the men.

Latest news

Carlos Alcaraz dreams to become world number 1 player

Avatar

Published

on

Carlos Alcaraz is getting ready to the first Grand Slam tournament of his career at the age of 17 at the upcoming Australian Open in Melbourne. 

 

The Spanish teenager has clear ideas about his future goals. 

“I dream to become the world number 1 and play matches, which will go down in the history of tennis. I watch videos from past Wimbledon matches of Rafa, Novak and Roger many times and Imagine that I will take part at this tournament in the future. It’s very special to play on grass courts. It would be incredible to win the Wimbledon tournament”, said Alcaraz. 

Alcaraz is currently keeping fit in the bubble created in his hotel in Melbourne ahead of the Australian Open, which will start on 8 February. The player coached by Juan Carlos Ferrero wants to set high goals, but he is aware that he needs to contunue his career step by step. Alcaraz climbed six places in the ATP Ranking to world number 135 and he has the chance to improve his ranking if he advances through the rounds at the Australian Open. 

“The main goal is to finish the 2021 season in the top 50. I would like to play in the Masters 1000 in Madrid and in the Barcelona tournament. It would be nice to train with Rafa and Novak. I have already had the chance to train with Roger, but I am shy and I could not speak English very well. I was not able to talk with him. I think I have tennis and I would say that I have the maturity to face any player. I try to handle situation as well as possible and I am doing well. I don’t look at points much, I have it apart. I am going to Australia to improve and grow as a player and a person. I must not go too much. Whatever comes is welcome, but I still have a lot of room”. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Paula Badosa tested positive for Covid-19

Avatar

Published

on

Paula Badosa Gilbert posted on her social media channels that she was tested positive for Covid-19. 

 

The 23-year-old Spanish player, who won the French Open Junior title in 2015, had been quarantining in Melbourne under the mandatory 14-rule after a couple of co-passengers in her flight to Melbourne had tested positive for the coronavirus when they arrived in Melbourne. 

The world number 67 was one of the 72 players forced to isolate in their hotel rooms after passengers on three separate charter flights to Melbourne tested positive. 

Badosa is symptomatic and has been shifted to a different hotel. She is the first player to be tested pasitive to Covid-19 after travelling to Melbourne. 

“I will try to recover as soon as possible listening to the doctors. I have been taken to a health hotel to self-isolate and be monitored. Thanks for your support. We will be back stronger”, said Badosa. 

Badosa made two appearances at the Australian Open in 2019 and 2020. She reached  her best result in Melbourne last year, when she got through to the second round, losing to former finalist Petra Kvitova. The list of players forced to isolate include two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka, former US Open champion Sloane Stephens and 2014 US Open finalist Kei Nishikori. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Belgrade will host an ATP Tour event in 2021 following Budapest relocation

Avatar

Published

on

Belgrade will host an ATP Tour tournament for the first time since 2012. The Hungarian Open, who was hosted in Budapest on clay court from 2017 to 2019 and is traditionally held during the European clay-court season, will be relocated to Belgrade from 2021. This tournament was cancelled last year due to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

 

Belgrade will host the Serbia Open from 19 to 25 April 2021 under a lease agreement between licence owner Ion Tiriac and new event organisers Tara 16s, led by Tournament Director Djordie Djokovic, the younger brother of Novak Djokovic, who won two editions of the ATP 250 tournament in 2009 and 2011.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending