Nick Kyrgios Calls For The Expansion Of Australian Tour Ahead Of Brisbane Campaign - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Nick Kyrgios Calls For The Expansion Of Australian Tour Ahead Of Brisbane Campaign

Avatar

Published

on

 

Nick Kyrgios has called for more Australian-based tournaments to be played on the ATP Tour  throughout the year as he prepares to start his 2018 season.

The two-time grand slam quarter-finalist believes Australian players are at a disadvantage due to the length of time they spend away from the country. This year 68 different tournaments will be played on the ATP Tour, but only three of those will occur in Australia throughout January. Sydney and Brisbane are both categorised as ATP 250 events leading up to the prestigious Australian Open.

“We have three tournaments here and you look at the guys from America and in Europe who have so many tournaments and as Australians I think we’re a bit disadvantaged being away for so long,” Kyrgios explained.

Speaking about the current situation of the men’s calendar, Kyrgios believes his fellow rivals would support the idea of more tournaments played in his home country throughout the year. Reducing the amount of time he and his compatriots are away.

“I don’t know why we don’t,” he said. “I think people would be more than willing to come back (and play) here throughout the year.
“For us in Australia – I was on the road for four months last year – that’s pretty tough when I want to spend time with my family.”

The 11-month calendar takes players around the world. It would be possible to implement more Australian tournaments during the Asian swing of the tour. Where the time difference wouldn’t be too much for players to adjust to. Although there is no signs from the ATP about this happening.

Brisbane beckons

Kyrgios made the comments ahead of his campaign at the Brisbane International. It will be his first tournament since October after ending his season early due to a hip injury. Regardless of the setback, he embarks upon 2018 fresh and full of confidence.

“I’m feeling good, it’s the new year so not too much to go wrong just yet,” he laughed.
“Hopefully I can keep it like that for as long as possible; I know there’s going to be some ups and downs this year but hopefully it gets better every year.
“I had some great moments last year and some tough ones as well, but hopefully, hopefully, things go right.”
 
Davis Cup team mate Matthew Ebden will be Kyrgios’ first challenger in Brisbane. The 30-year-old eased his way past America’s Frances Tiafoe 6-3, 6-2 in his opening match on Monday.

“Nick’s a good player, just like everyone else,” Ebden said.
“He’s got a great serve, it’s one of his biggest weapons and he’s good around the court.
“I’ve got to serve well myself and come out and play a really high quality level.”

Seeded third in the draw, Kyrgios is seeking to win his first title on the tour since the 2016 Japan Open.

ATP

‘Probably Gonna Quit’ – Tennys Sandgren Blasts Performance After missing Out On Olympic Medal

The tennis star described his fourth place finish as ‘dog s**t.”

Avatar

Published

on

By

Former Australian Open quarter-finalist Tennys Sandgren said he is close to retiring from tennis after missing out on a bronze medal at the Tokyo Olympics.

 

Sandgren and doubles partner Austin Krajicek fell in straight sets to the New Zealand pairing of Michael Venus and Marcus Daniell, who are the first tennis players from their country in over 100 years to win a medal. The loss is a frustrating outcome for the American who wasn’t afraid to express how he felt after the match. Tokyo was the ninth doubles tournament Sandgren has played in this year.

“I mean, who f*ing cares you know, what do I have to show for it? We have a good week and fourth place is dog s**t.” He told the Olympic News Service.

Speaking straight after his loss, the highly emotional 30-year-old then cast doubt on his future in the sport. He is currently ranked 82nd in the world and has a win-loss record of 6-14 so far this year. However, he is yet to reach a quarter-final in singles.

I’m probably gonna quit. That might be my last match. I’m close, yeah, I’m close.” He replied when asked about his career.

As for if he would have done anything different in the bronze medal match, Sandgren replied ‘not to have been so bad.’ He also expressed disappointment that the tennis tournament took place behind closed doors. Prior to the Olympics, organisers decided to hold all events in Tokyo without fans due to a surge of COVID-19 cases in the city.

“It would have been a great event with fans,” he via via teamusa.org. “Playing on an outside court without fans, I mean, you might as well be playing in Idaho in the middle of nowhere.”

Sandgren and Krajicek were America’s last chance to win a medal in the tennis competition. It is the first time the country has failed to win any medal since tennis returned as an Olympic event in 1988.

“There’s not much you can say about that except it’s pretty, pretty devastating to lose that one. You know, give yourself a chance to get a medal and then to lose those two (matches – including the men’s doubles semifinal) is tough, but you have to give those guys credit today. They played well.” Krajicek concluded.

Continue Reading

ATP

Fabio Fognini Apologises For Use Of Homophobic Slur During Olympic Match

The Italian says he regrets using the ‘stupid expression’ during his third round clash.

Avatar

Published

on

By

Fabio Fognini said the heat got to him during his third round clash with Daniil Medvedev at the Tokyo Olympics after he was caught saying a homophobic slur at himself.

 

The world No.31 lost to Medvedev in three sets during what was incredibly hot and humid conditions with both players taking a 10-minute break after the second set under the extreme weather policy. Frustrated with how his match was going, Fognini was caught by broadcasters saying the word ‘frocio’ which is an anti-gay term in his native language. The exact phrase he used was ‘Frocio, sei un frocio’ which was directed towards himself only.

Following his Olympic exit, the 34-year-old issued a statement on social media in which he apologised for making those remarks during his match. In a post uploaded onto his Instagram story which had a rainbow theme background, Fognini reiterated that he supports the LGBT community and the use of the slur was done in the heat of the moment.

The heat got to my head!” Fognini wrote.
“In today’s (Wednesday’s) match I used a really stupid expression towards myself. Obviously I didn’t want to offend anyone’s sensibilities.
“I love the LGBT community and I apologize for the nonsense that came out of me.”

It is not the first time a player has been caught using a homophobic term during a tennis match this year. Earlier in the season Denmark’s Holger Rune was fined for a term he used during a Challenger match. The former world No.1 junior player later apologised for those comments.

Unlike the women’s Tour, there are currently no publicly out players in men’s tennis and only a select few have come out in the past. In June former top 100 player Brain Vahaly, who came out as gay after retiring from the sport, spoke to UbiTennis about his experience.

Despite his loss, Fognini was the only player from his country to reach the third round of the men’s draw in Tokyo. Lorenzo Sonego, who was seeded two places higher than him, lost in the second round to Nikoloz Basilashvili.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Why Newly Married Elina Svitolina Has No Plans To Change Her Surname

The Ukrainian explains why she isn’t using her husband’s surname of Monfils just yet as she books her place in the third round at Tokyo 2020.

Avatar

Published

on

Just over a week ago Elina Svitolina tied the knot with her long-time partner Gael Monfils at a ceremony in Geneva, Switzerland.

 

Shortly after the world No.6 took to social media and changed her name on Twitter to Elina Monfils as part of the tradition that the woman takes on the man’s name once they are married. As a consequence, various websites started to identify the Ukrainian under that name. Although she would rather that they don’t do such a thing.

“I don’t know why they changed my surname. Maybe they saw that I had changed it on my social networks,” Svitolina told BTU.
“I’m going to play as Svitolina till the very end of my professional career and will change it only after retirement.”

Svitolina explains she believes it is better if all of her achievements are made under the same name instead of two. So far in her career she has won 15 WTA titles, reached two Grand Slam semi-finals and has earned more than $20.5M in prize money.

I had numerous achievements and people know me as Svitolina. My father would be upset if I changed the surname and played as Monfils,” she joked.
“I am proud to be Svitolina and my tennis career will always be connected with this surname.”

Over the coming week the 26-year-old is hoping to add an Olympic medal to her resume. On Monday Svitolina survived a stern scare after coming back from a set down to defeat Ajla Tomljanović 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 and move into the third round of the tournament. Her win came on the day where there were shocks galore in the women’s draw with seeds Aryna Sabalenka, Iga Swiatek and Petra Kvitova all crashing out.

Svitolina will play Greece’s Maria Sakkari in the next round whom she has lost to in two out of their three previous meetings.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending