Caroline Wozniacki receives a message of congratulations from the Danish Royal Family - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

WTA

Caroline Wozniacki receives a message of congratulations from the Danish Royal Family

Published

on

Fresh Australian Open champion and world number 1 Caroline Wozniacki revealed that she received a message of congratulations from the Danish Royal Family after her win in Melbourne against Simona Halep.

 

The 27-year-old Danish star celebrated her trophy with a photo-shoot on a punt ride at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Melbourne.

“I have heard from the royal family. They congratulated me and they were thrilled for me, so that was very exciting. I am just overwhelmed, excited, happy, a mix of a lot of emotions. I have not let the trophy and I am going to hold her (the trophy) for a little bit longer, just soaking it all in. It’s surreal. This does not come every day so when I have this opportunity and have these amazing days. I am just thrilled to be here”, said a very delighted Wozniacki.

Wozniacki followed up her WTA Finals title in Singapore with her maiden Grand Slam title in Melbourne and a return to the world number 1 spot in the WTA Ranking.

“It was a huge day for me. Getting my first Grand Slam, getting to world number 1, I think I am speechless. It’s an amazing feeling. I have my trophy Daphne here with me and she looks so pretty”.

Wozniacki was on the brink of defeat in the second round againsst Jana Fett when she had to save two match points at 1-5 in the third set earlier in the tournament and went on to end the Australian Open with the trophy. During the tournament the Dane beat Carla Suarez Navarro in three sets to advance to her second semifinal since 2011. She then beat Elise Mertens to reach her third career Grand Slam final and her first since 2014. She became the ninth woman to win the Australian Open title after saving match points.

“From being almost out of the tournament to sitting here with the Australian Open trophy, it’s amazing. It’s quite a turnaround. It’s something I am proud of. It was really a great momentum shift for me going further in the tournament after that”.

Halep and Wozniacki had never won a Grand Slam title before Saturday and there was much at stake during a nerve-wracking match. Wozniacki felt she had an opportunity to clinch her first Grand Slam title after finishing runner-up twice at the US Open.

“I was nervous going into the match. I knew what was at stake. I tried to have fun with this and enjoy the moment. I played very aggressively. We both played very aggressively. I knew that she is a great fighter and she was playing amazing tennis as well. Even until the match I didn’t know who is going to win the match but I knew I had an opportunity. Winning it this way makes it obviously extremely special because we both grinded it so hard. I am here and I am Australian Opne champion”

Wozniack famously ran the New York Marathon in 3 hours and 26 minutes. The final against Halep took 36 minutes less than her effort in New York. The Dane found the Australian Open final harder.

“It was definitely harder emotionally. It was such a tough grind. It was very hot out there, I think both of us were very tired in the end but I was not nervous. I was probably thinking, that I had opportunities to go up 3-0 and 4-1 in the final set and I did not take them. She was playing really well. I was thinking it looks like it may not be my day but I was never nervous at that point. I was just going to go out there and give it my all and swing for it. I was playing aggressively. I think I played well. It could have gone either way. I am happy it went my way”.

Wozniacki took the opportunity to thank her team for their support during the amazing two weeks.

“I think having such a great support system behind me made such a big difference. My dad Piotr said that he was very proud of me regardless of what would happened in the final. My boyfriend David really calmed me down and told me to take this as an opportunity and have fun”.

Wozniacki felt a sense of relief after winning her first Grand Slam title on her third attempt.

“One of the most positive things about all of this is that I am never going to get the question again: “When are you going to win a Grand Slam ?”. I am just waiting for the question: When are you going to win the second one ? I am just happy I have this one. I am going to really enjoy this moment”

Caroline received a message from her close friend Serena Williams after the final.

“It means a lot to me. She is a friend of mine. It means a lot she was supporting and following. She is just the best. It’s awesome”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest news

Bianca Andreescu Reunites With Former Coach Ahead Of New Season 

How will the Grand Slam champion fair on the Tour with her latest mentor?

Published

on

BIANCA ANDREESCU OF CANADA - PHOTO: ALBERTO NEVADO / MMO

Former US Open champion Bianca Andreescu has brought a familiar face back into her team as she bids to return to her best form in 2023. 

 

Andreescu, who is currently ranked 45th in the WTA rankings, has appointed Christophe Lambert as her latest coach. Lambert had been working as the performance director at Tennis New Zealand and resigned from that position to work with the former US Open champion. He had also previously worked for Tennis Canada and during that time he was a private coach for Andreescu in 2016. 

“Bianca asked me to coach her and I accepted the job. It was an offer I couldn’t refuse,” Lambert told sport.co.nz. 

Lambert, who has also spent time working with the Chinese Davis Cup team and for the British LTA, has stayed in contact with Andreescu ever since coaching her six years ago. 

“It wasn’t like every week or every month. It’s always good to have people calling you when you are up, but when she was down I was checking on her and giving her my opinion.” He said. 

Andreescu had been working with Dutch coach Sven Groeneveld for over a year before they decided to end their collaboration in October. Groeneveld has a wealth of experience in the sport after working with a series of top names, including Maria Sharapova. 

This season the former world No.4 has won 20 out of 33 matches played with her best performance being a run to the final of the Bad Homburg Open in Germany. However, her record against top 10 opposition was 2-5.

“I’m just taking it day by day, and it’s a great way to end off the year as well, just bringing back all the emotions that fire a lot in me,” Andreescu recently told reporters in Glasgow at the Billie Jean King Cup. “I think I’m going to have a great preseason. Next year I really think I can crack the top 10 again.”

Andreescu, who has been hampered by injury issues in recent years, hasn’t won a singles title of any sort since 2019. 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Four-Time Grand Slam Winner Naomi Osaka Named In FTX Lawsuit 

The former world No.1 took an equity stake in the failed business earlier this year. 

Published

on

NAOMI OSAKA OF JAPAN - PHOTO: ALVARO DIAZ / MMO

Naomi Osaka is among a series of high-profile individuals who have been accused of using their celebrity status to promote FTX’s failed business model in a lawsuit filed against the cryptocurrency exchange. 

 

The BBC has reported that over one million people and businesses could be owed money following the collapse of FTX, according to bankruptcy filings. A week ago FTX collapsed into bankruptcy with its former boss Sam Bankman-Fried stepping down as CEO. A massive development in the financial for what was one of the largest crypto exchanges in the world that had the naming rights to a Formula One racing team as well as a sports arena in Miami.

According to the Associated Press, the company is being investigated by state and federal prosecutors over allegations it ‘invested depositors’ funds in ventures without their approval.’ In a lawsuit filed on Tuesday, it argues that celebrity backers of FTX such as Osaka should be held just as accountable as Bankman-Fried as they brought ‘instant credibility’ to the company. 

“Part of the scheme employed by the FTX Entities involved utilizing some of the biggest names in sports and entertainment — like these Defendants — to raise funds and drive American consumers to invest … pouring billions of dollars into the deceptive FTX platform to keep the whole scheme afloat,” the lawsuit said.

Osaka took an equity stake in FTX in March where she would be receiving compensation in Crypto. Signing what was described as a ‘long-term partnership’ to become a global ambassador, the tennis star aimed to draw attention to women joining the platform and she played a role in directing its content.

“We have seen the statistics about how few women are part of crypto by comparison, which kind of mirrors the inequality we see in other financial markets,” Osaka said earlier this year.

Osaka, who has won 14 out of 23 matches played this season, has not made any public statement regarding the lawsuit. NFL quarterback Tom Brady, comedian Larry David and basketball team the Golden State Warriors are also defendants in the lawsuit.

Continue Reading

WTA

WTA Targets New Multi-Year Deal For Its Premier Event If Agreement With China Fails

Will the WTA Finals return to Shenzhen in 2023?

Published

on

WTA CEO Steve Simon

The WTA say they are not willing to compromise their principles concerning the possibility of hosting tournaments in China next year amid uncertainty over the future of their season-ending event. 

 

Steve Simon, who is the CEO of the women’s Tour, says he is hopeful that a resolution can be found with the country but has vowed now to back down on its stance. Last year the WTA suspended tournaments in China over concerns about the safety of former player Peng Shuai who accused a former government official of sexually assaulting her. 

Shuai disappeared shortly after posting her statement on social media before returning a few weeks later with photos and videos of her being posted online by journalists linked to the government-controlled media. There are concerns that the former doubles Grand Slam champion, who has not left her country since making those allegations, is being censored by the government. The WTA wants an investigation to be conducted into the matter. 

“We’ve made a strong stand, and we stand behind that stance, and we’re not going to compromise our principles,” Simon said during an interview with The New York Times. “Clearly when we did it, we understood eyes wide open what it could mean.”
“We’re still in the same place. If they come forward with something else we should look at, of course we are open to it. But we haven’t seen it so far. I’m hopeful we do find a resolution. That’s the goal, to find the right resolution. What’s the truth? Then we can move forward.” He added. 

Simon said he is confident that Shuai is safe in Beijing but he has not been able to make any direct contact with her, despite trying to on multiple occasions. A letter reportedly written by Shuai to the WTA was posted online in 2021 saying that she wishes to be left alone. However, many have doubted the authenticity of that letter with some fearing that she wrote it under duress. 

One of the biggest impacts of the fallout has involved the prestigious WTA Finals, which is a round-robin tournament featuring the eight best-performing players over the past 12 months. In 2018 a lucrative deal was agreed that paved the way for the event to be held in Shenzhen for 10 years. However, the event was cancelled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic before the next two additions were moved elsewhere.

Whilst the WTA is optimistic about a return to Shenzhen in 2023, there are also backup plans in the works. Simon confirmed that it is no longer feasible for the WTA Finals to be held in a location for just one year. So it is likely that the tournament would be held in a city for two or more years in a row if it doesn’t return to China next season. 

“We’re not going to continue to do these one-year decisions,” he said. “It’s not sustainable. If it looks like we can’t go back to China or aren’t ready to go back, then I do think we will carve out a multiyear situation, because we need to for the business.”

The case involving Shuai isn’t the only barrier for the WTA. China’s zero-covid policy has made hosting international events in the region unfeasible and the ATP cancelled all of their events in the tournament this year due to the situation. 

This year’s WTA Finals has a prize money offering of $5M which is more than half of what was on offer at the 2019 tournament in Shenzhen ($14M). 

Simon didn’t provide any deadline for when an agreement must be reached with China must be reached before the WTA considers moving their event elsewhere once again. 

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending