Tim Henman Argues Against New Coach For Andy Murray - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Tim Henman Argues Against New Coach For Andy Murray

Avatar

Published

on

 

Andy Murray doesn’t need to replace Ivan Lendl in his team, according to former British No.1 Tim Henman.

On Friday, Murray confirmed that he has separated with Lendl for a second time following a ‘mutual’ agreement. Lendl, who also worked with the Brit between 2012-2014, returned to being Murray’s chief mentor in 2016. Their progress on the tour was halted at Wimbledon after Murray was hampered by a hip injury. He tried to return to action at the US Open, but failed. Resulting in a premature end to his season.

Weighing in on the coaching dilemma the 30-year-old is facing, Henman has suggested that there is no need to replace Lendl. Arguing that assistant coach Jamie Delgado is sufficient enough to fill the void. Delgado, who made 23 consecutive appearances at Wimbledon during his career, has previously mentored Gilles Muller.

“With Andy’s experience and knowledge of the game, I wouldn’t think he needs to bring another person into the team,” Henman told BBC Radio Five Live’s Sportsweek.
“He’s got Jamie who played to a decent level and did a very good coaching job with Gilles Muller first, and has been with Andy for a good couple of years and understands him as well as anyone.”

Murray is aiming to return to competition at the start of 2018 in time for the Australian Open. As a result of his absence, the Brit has fallen down to 16th. Meaning he won’t be a top-10 seed in Melbourne for the first time since 2007.

Despite the setback, Henman has confidence that Murray will stage a successful comeback. January is also set to see the return of Novak Djokovic, Stan Wawrinka and Kei Nishikori from their injury problems.

“Having seen him train and practice at Wimbledon quite a lot, he is working unbelievably hard and making big strides.” Henman said about Murray’s ongoing recovery.
“I think that with still six or seven weeks before the season starts, I’m quite confident that he is going to be back ready and raring to go.”

If all goes to plan, Next year will be Murray’s 13th consecutive appearance at the Australian Open.

Update:

Hours after Henman’s comments, Delgardo has confirmed that Murray is in no hurry to find a replacement coach. With the focus on his fitness being the main priority for the former world No.1

‘I don’t think so, not at the moment,’ Mtero.co.uk quoted Delgardo as saying when asked about the current situation.
‘From our point of view the first situation that we need to address is to get him totally fit and ready to play the new season.
‘I believe if we do that he will get back to a lot of success in the game again.”

Latest news

Lorenzo Sonego and Andrea Vavassori claim the doubles title in Cagliari

Avatar

Published

on

An all-Italian doubles team formed by Lorenzo Sonego and Andrea Vavassori claimed the doubles title at the Sardegna Open in Cagliari with a 6-3 6-4 win over Simone Bolelli and Andres Molteni n 75 minutes. 

 

Sonego and Vavassori got the first break in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead. Bolelli and Molteni broke straight back in the fifth game for 2-3, but Sonego and Vavassori claimed their second break to win the first set 6-3. Both teams traded breaks in the second and third games of the second set. They held their service games in the next five games before Sonego and Vavassori sealed the second set with their decisive break in the ninth game. 

Sonego and Vavassori, who both come from Turin, had beaten Marcelo Melo and Jean-Julien Rojer in the Cagliari first round. They have become the first Italian doubles team to clinch an ATP title on Italian soil since Giorgio Galimberti and Daniele Bracciali in February 2005 in Milan. 

Sonego will bid to become the first player to win the singles and doubles titles at the same tournament since Feliciano Lopez at the Queen’s in London in 2019. 

The last Italian player to score a double title was Matteo Berrettini, who won the singles and the doubles tournament with Daniele Bracciali in Gstaad 2018. For the first time at least three Italian players have contested an ATP Tour doubles title since Casablanca 1998 when Andrea Gaudenzi and Diego Nargiso beat Cristian Brandi and Filippo Messori.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Pablo Carreno sets up all-Spanish final against Jaume Munar in Marbella

Avatar

Published

on

Last year’s US Open semifinalist Pablo Carreno Busta battled past his compatriot Albert Ramos Vinolas 6-1 3-6 7-6 (7-5) in an all-Spanish semifinal to secure his spot in the Any Tech 365 Andalucia Open in Marbella. 

 

Carreno Busta has improved his head-to-to-head record against Ramos Vinolas to 3-1. 

Carreno Busta raced out to a 5-0 lead with a double break to win a one-sided first set 6-1. Ramos Vinolas won just one point from ten on his second serve. 

Ramos Vinolas bounced back by winning the second set 6-3 with just one break in the fourth game. For the 12th time in his last 13 matches, Ramos Vinolas sent them into the third set. 

Ramos Vinolas went up a break in the third game and was just two points from victory as he served for the match at 5-4. Carreno Busta broke back in the 10th game to draw level to 5-5 after a double fault and a forehand error from Ramos Vinolas. 

Carreno Busta converted his third match point to seal the third set after 2 hours and 11 minutes securing his spot into the eighth final of his career. 

“It was so close. I don’t know what happened in the second set. At the beginning of the match, I was very focused on my game and my aggressive. After that, Albert started to push back more I started to lose my level a little bit. I just kept fighting all the time, and I want to thank everyone in the crowd for their support. This is what we missed last year, the crowd. It’s very important to play these close matches with a crowd like that”, said Carreno Busta.

Carreno Busta set up an all-Spanish final against Jaume Munar, who beat Carlos Alcaraz 7-6 (7-4) 6-4. Alcaraz got an early break in the second game of the opening set, but Munar broke straight back and saved a break point to hold serve at deuce for 2-2. Alcaraz earned an early mini-break to take a 2-0 lead, but Munar won seven of the next nine points with two mini-breaks to claim the tie-break 7-4. 

Munar converted his fourth break point in the second game after five deuces to take a 2-0 lead. Alcaraz broke back at love in the third game and held serve at deuce to draw level to 2-2. After four consecutive on serve Munar went up a break at love in the eighth game to take a 5-3 lead. Alcaraz broke straight back at love for 4-5. Munar sealed the second set 6-4 with a break in the 10th game.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Lorenzo Sonego reaches his third career final in Cagliari

Avatar

Published

on

Lorenzo Sonego battled past Taylor Fritz 6-4 5-7 6-1 after 2 hours and 39 minutes to advance to the final of the Sardegna Open in Cagliari. 

 

Sonego is one match away from becoming the first Italian player to clinch an ATP Tour clay-court title on home soil. Former world number 25 and current Italian Davis Cup captain Filippo Volandri was the last Italian player to win an ATP Tour on Italian soil, when he beat Nicolas Lapentti in Palermo 2006. 

Sonego converted his sixth break point with three powerful forehands in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead. Fritz broke back in the eighth game with a deep forehand to draw level to 4-4, but Sonego earned an immediate break to love. 

Sonego reeled off five consecutive games from 4-4 to build up a 6-4 3-0 lead with a break in the ninth game of the first set at love and two breaks in the first and third games of the second set. Fritz pulled back both times to draw level to 3-3. The US player earned his third break in the 12th game to claim the second set after 64 minutes when Sonego hit a backhand into the net. 

Sonego started the third set with an early break in the first game with a drop shot. The Turin-native player went up a double break with three consecutive forehands to take a 3-0 lead. The 2019 Antalya champion raced out to a 5-0 lead with his third break. Fritz pulled one break back in the sixth game for 1-5 but Sonego sealed the third set 6-1 with his fourth break to secure his spot in his third career final and his first title match on clay. Last year he upset Novak Djokovic in the semifinal before finishing runner-up to Andrey Rublev in the final at the Erste Open in Vienna. Yesterday Sonego came back from one set down to beat Yannik Hanfmann 3-6 7-6 6-3 in the quarter finals. 

Sonego will take on Laslo Djere, who cruised past Nikoloz Basilashvili 6-2 6-0. Djere broke twice in the third and seventh games and got three consecutive breaks in the third set.

Djere dropped just one set against Lorenzo Musetti this week. He becomes the second Italian player after Andreas Seppi to reach finals on all surfaces after winning his first title on grass in Antalya 2019 and reaching the Vienna 2020 final on indoor hard-court last year. Sonego has also qualified for the doubles final alongside Andrea Vavassori against Simone Bolelli and Andres Molteni.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending