Roger Federer Unsurprised By Lacklustre Start At The US Open - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Roger Federer Unsurprised By Lacklustre Start At The US Open

Published

on

Roger Federer (zimbio.com)

It was a far from perfect start to the US Open for Roger Federer, who endured a tough five-set clash against 19-year-old American Frances Tiafoe in the first round.

 

The Swiss second seed struggled to exert his usual consistent dominance in the match, hitting 56 unforced errors compared to 41 winners. During stages when he was in the lead, Federer came undone. Ahead by two-sets-to-one, an inspired Tiafoe fought back to force proceedings into a decider. Then in the deciding set a 5-2 lead was cut to 5-4, before he finally triumphed in the match.

“It was very exciting. I really enjoyed myself even though maybe I also was tired and nervous at the end. It was very cool to be part of that match.” Federer said after the match.

Delighting the Arthur Ashe stadium with a late-night classic, questions about Federer’s current form is mounting. Leading into the final grand slam of the season, he withdrew from the Cincinnati Open due to a back problem. As a consequence, his preparation heading into New York was disrupted. He still remains one of the favourites to win the title, but Federer himself admits that parts of his game is ‘rusty.’

“I don’t think I had the preparation I was hoping to get.” He explained. “Since Montreal, focus has been more on the back, making sure I can play the tournament rather than being well-prepared. I always knew I was going to come in feeling rusty or not great. I was hoping to start better.”

At the start of the match Federer immediately dropped his first service game and subsequently the opening set. Playing in his 17th US Open main draw, the 36-year-old admitted that he initially struggled to adapt to the court. A somewhat perplexed statement from a player that has previously won the title five times.

“I really struggled early on. I think Frances connected well. I just really kind of lost my footing sometimes. My eye wasn’t working. I was misjudging distance. I think I was also being a bit cautious with my movement. Then in the second set I think it all started to come together.”

Praise for the Next Generation

Tuesday’s clash wasn’t all about Federer’s roller coaster journey on the Arthur Ashe Stadium. The rising star Tiafoe manage to illustrate the potential he has. He is currently ranked 70th in the world, ten places below his personal best, and has already won two Challenger titles this season. Tiafoe is part of the ATP next Generation campaign, who promotes the future stars of the men’s game.

“I think it’s a great initiative, the NextGen. Frances has done well, as well, this year. Moved up the rankings. Got a taste of Arthur Ashe, how it is to play against top players. He’s only going to learn from a match like this and become better.” Federer evaluated.

It is clear that the next generation of players is moving their way onto the big stage of tennis. 20-year-old Alexander Zverev, who defeated Federer at the Rogers Cup, is seeded fourth in the tournament.

Prior to the Next Generation campaign, Federer was part of the ‘New Balls Please’ intuitive, which worked on the same concept. In his group was the likes of Lleyton Hewitt, Tommy Haas Gustavo Kuerten.

“Obviously our generation also was very strong. We went on to become, many of us, top five players. I wish the same for them (the next gen).” The 19-time grand slam champion said.

Focus

Stefanos Tsitsipas: “I will miss Wimbledon and I can’t wait to 2021”

Published

on

Stefanos Tsitsipas said that the Wimbledon cancellation news was just an April fool after organizers of the famous British tournament called off their Grand Slam event due to the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic and public health concerns.

 

Tsitsipas made his debut at Wimbledon in 2017 and reached the fourth round in 2018. He lost to Stefano Travaglia in the opening round at Wimbledon last year, but he bounced back winning the ATP Finals in London.

This year Tsitsipas won the Marseille title for the second consecutive year and lost the Dubai final against Novak Djokovic in Dubai. He lost to Milos Raonic in the third round at the Australian Open. At the inaugural edition of the ATP Cup in Australia he beat Alexander Zverev and lost to Denis Shapovalov and Nick Kyrgios.

Tsitsipas was the first Greek player to break into the top 5 and the first player from his country to reach a Grand Slam semifinal at the Australian Open in 2019. Last year he scored the biggest win of his career against Novak Djokovic in Shanghai and won three titles in Marseille and Estoril. He finished runner-up to Roger Federer in Dubai and to Dominic Thiem in Beijing.

“I went to bed thinking this was all a bad April fools joke but I woke up today to find that Wimbledon is actually cancelled. I will miss this special event and I can’t wait to 2021. Stay home. Stay sane”, wrote Tsitsipas in a Twitter post.

Continue Reading

Focus

Roger Federer: “We experience difficult times, we arise from it strengthened”

Published

on

Twenty-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has confirmed that he is planning to play in Halle in 2021 after the historic German grass tournament was cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The ATP has extended the suspension of the tour until 13th July. Federer was expected to play in Halle, a tournament where he won ten times and reached 13 finals. He made his debut in Halle in 2000 during his career.

 

“We experience difficult times, however, we will arise from it strengthened. Already today I am glad and excited about my return to Halle next year. Stay healthy”, said Federer in a statement released on the Halle tournament website.

 Federer also won eight Wimbledon titles, which was also called off for the first time since 1945 due to public health concerns due to the coronavirus outbreak.

 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Angelique Kerber: “I am heavy-hearted about the cancellation of the grass season”

Published

on

Former Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber has posted her thought on the Wimbledon cancellation.

 

“The thought of playing at Wimbledon has always been the biggest source of my motivation. It goes without saying that I I am heavy hearted that the cancellation of the grass court season also means that I won’t be able to play in front of my home crowd in sport unites, in good and bad times. Once this has passed, it may even help us appreciate our everydayday routines and the beauty of our sport even more than before. Thanks to everyone who is working 24/7 to get us through this uncertain time”.

The German player of Polish origin won three Grand Slam titles at the Australian Open and at the US Open in 2016 and at Wimbledon in 2018. She won the Olympic singles silver medal in Rio de Janeiro 2016 losing in the final to Monica Puig.

Kerber lost to Samantha Stosur in the first round in Brisbane. Kerber beat Wang Qiang in straight sets in the first round before retiring from her second round match against Ukraine’s Dayana Yastremska due to a left harmstring injury, after the German player was down a set and a break.

At the Australian Open Kerber beat Elisabetta Cocciaretto, Priscilla Hon, Camila Giorgi before losing to Anastasya Pavlyuchenkova. She is currently ranked world number 21 in the WTA Ranking.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending