Defending Champion Marin Cilic Withdraws From Cincinnati - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Defending Champion Marin Cilic Withdraws From Cincinnati

Published

on

Marin Cilic (zimbio)

Defending champion Marin Cilic has announced his withdrawal from next week’s Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati as he still recovers from the injury he suffered at Wimbledon.

The 2014 champion announced the news on his Facebook page as he has yet to recover from the injury he suffered at this year’s Wimbledon final, where he lost to Roger Federer. Here is his statement in full:

‘After having to withdraw from the ATP Masters 1000 event in Montreal, there is another unpleasant task, as I have to announce that I will have to pull out from tournament in Cincinnati as well. I was really eager to play in Cincinnati, where I’ve won my first-career ATP Masters 1000 singles title last year and where I had one of the best performances during my career, but I still don’t feel at 100% to compete at the top level and to defend my title there.
I have already started with my preparation and the progress is going well but there isn’t enough time for me to prepare for Cincinnati and to be completely ready to play there.
Still, I feel very confident that I will be back in action very soon, and I am looking forward to the upcoming US Open. Once again, thank you all for all the support I am receiving during this injury period! See you soon.’

The latest announcement is a huge blow to the tournament as they were hoping that their defending champion would add to the strength of the current field that will be their next week. We have also learnt today that Frenchman Lucas Pouille has also withdrawn to reflect on his recent poor form. Cilic and Pouille join Novak Djokovic, Stan Wawrinka and last year’s finalist Andy Murray in missing next week’s tournament in Ohio.

However the likes of Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Kei Nishikori will still compete in Cincinnati which starts on Monday.

Latest news

Jelena Ostapenko beats Greer Minnen to reach the second round at Eastbourne

Published

on

Number 6 seed Jelena Ostapenko beat Belgian qualifier Greet Minnen 7-6 (7-3) 6-1 after 1 hour and 29 minutes to secure a spot in the second round at the Rothesay international in Eastbourne. 

Ostapenko won the Eastbourne title in 2021 and reached the 2022 final before losing to Petra Kvitova. 

Minnen led by a break three times and served for the set at 5-4 and 6-5 but Ostapenko pulled back on serve each time. 

Ostapenko fired a backhand crosscourt winner to earn three set points at 6-3 in the tie-break. The Latvian player converted his first chance with a forehand return winner. 

Both players traded breaks in the first two games of the second set. Ostapenko earned a second break in the third game, but she took an off court medical time-out after a fall at 3-1 in the second set. 

Ostapenko recovered by winning four consecutive games with two breaks to win the second set 6-1. 

“Grass is a great surface, but sometimes it can be slippery and really tricky. So I took the medical time-out just to make sure I am fine”, said Ostapenko.  

 “I think the surface suits me really well. The first I played on grass, I was like: ‘How can we play tennis on this surface ? I don’t understand what’s happening here, but then every year was better and better”, said Ostapenko. 

British wild card Harriet Dart battled past former Wimbledon quarter finalist Marie Bouzhkova 7-5 6-7 (7-9) 6-4 after 3 hours and 29 minutes in the third-longest match on the WTA Tour this year. 

Bouzhkova broke twice in the third and fifth games to open up a 4-1 lead, but Dart won six of the next seven games with three breaks of serve to win the first set 7-5. 

Dart fought back from 1-4 down to force a tie-break with two breaks of serve in the sixth and eighth games. The British player never held a match point in the second set. Bouzhkova converted her fourth set point to seal the tie-break 9-7 after a 88-minute second set. 

After a trade of breaks at the start of the third set, Dart earned a decisive break in the third game to take a 2-1 lead. The British wild card saved a break point at 4-3 en route to the win. 

Dart was scheduled to face 2022 Wimbeldon champion Elena Rybakina, but the Kazakh player withdrew from the tournament on Monday due to a change of schedule. Dart will face wild card Sofia Kenin, who won the Australian Open title and reached the final at Roland Garros in 2020.  

Continue Reading

Latest news

(VIDEO) What A Weekend For Italian Tennis!

Ubitennis founder Ubaldo Scanagatta looks back on this week’s action on the ATP Tour.

Published

on

Jannik Sinner – ATP Halle 2024 (foto via Twitter @atptour)

It has been a memorable Sunday for Italian tennis with the country winning two titles on the ATP Tour. 

In Halle, world No.1 Jannik Sinner claimed his first trophy on the grass with a hard-fought two-set win over Hubert Hurkacz. There was also success in the doubles tournament with top seeds Simone Bolelli and Andrea Vavassori winning the title. Meanwhile, in London, Lorenzo Musetti was unable to make it a hatrick of wins for his country after losing in the final of the Cinch Championships to Tommy Paul.  

So how much can be read into these wins and should we be expecting similar results at Wimbledon which begins a week tomorrow? 

Continue Reading

Latest news

Jannik Sinner reaches the first grass final of his career in Halle

Published

on

Jannik Sinner overcame Zhang Zhizhen 6-4 7-6 (7-3) to reach the first final of his career on grass at the Terra Wortmann in Halle. Sinner achieved his best result on this surface when he reached the semifinal at Wimbledon in 2023. 

Sinner will face a final against his friend Hubert Hurkacz, who beat Alexander Zverev 7-6 (7-2) 6-4 in the first semifinal. The Italian player converted his only break point in the ninth game and fended off the only break point he faced at 5-6 in the second set with a forehand winner, one of his winners of the match. 

The Italian player earned an early mini-break to take a 2-0 lead. Zhang Zhizhen pulled the mini-break back. Sinner earned two mini-breaks in the fourth and eighth points to win the tie-break 7-3. Sinner won the first of the four tie-breaks he played this week.

Sinner finished the match in straight sets after clinching three consecutive three-set wins at the start of his campaign at this year’s edition of the Terra Wortmann in Halle. 

The world number 1 player won three titles on hard court at the Australian Open, Rotterdam and Miami this year. 

“It means a lot. I had four tough matches to go to the final. It was a good match today. Definitely more rallies than yesterday. And that’s definitely what I needed today. I am happy and let’s see what’s coming tomorrow”, said Sinner.  

Earlier this week Zhang Zhizhen had previously beaten Danil Medvedev in the second round and came back from 2-5 down to beat Christopher Eubanks in the quarter finals. 

Continue Reading

Trending