Roger Federer has become the first man in history to win an eighth Wimbledon title after easing his way past an injury-stricken Marin Cilic 6-3, 6-1, 6-4, in the final of the championships.
There was hope that the clash between the two would be one to remember. Federer is regarded by many as the greatest player to ever play at The All England Club. His rival Cilic was by no means a walkover. Their meeting 12 months ago saw the 35-year-old save three match points before prevailing in a five-set thriller. This time round, there was no closeness between the two as Cilic’s body betrayed him in one the biggest finals of his life.
“It is cruel sometimes, but he fought well. He’s a hero.” Federer said to his opponent during the trophy ceremony. “Congratulations on a wonderful tournament Marin. You should be really proud, it is a special occasion to play in the final.”
Contesting a record-equalling 102nd Wimbledon match, the start saw both men experience nerves. Cilic repeatedly bounced the ball before serving to calm himself down as Federer took a while to fine tune his game. From only the second game, shouts of ‘Chum Jetzte’ (Swiss-German for ‘come on’) roared from Federer’s mouth to show he means business. The early test for the 35-year-old occurred in the fifth game when Cilic grabbed a break point opportunity. Surviving the scare after the Croat hit a backhand into the net, Federer rose his form. In the following game he raced to three break points in his advantage, converting his second for a 3-2 lead.
Clinching a stronghold in the set, Federer refused to let go with two consecutive love-service games. Then on the 36th minute of the match, the former world No.1 was gifted the 6-3 lead following a double fault from his rival. Prompting a cheer from the full capacity crowd at SW19.
The mood of the match swiftly moved from admiration for Federer to sympathy for Cilic. As the Swiss broke at the start of the second set, Cilic received a medical time out. He was on the verge of tears as a medical team went out to evaluate his foot. He managed to continue the match, but he knew the prospect of a maiden Wimbledon title was rapidly fading.
Strolling through the second set, another error from the Croat secured another break in Federer’s favour for 5-1. It was like a repeat of Saturday’s women’s final, which started competitively before Garbine Muguruza thrashed Venus Williams. With his injury-stricken opponent far off his best ability, a serve down the line moved Federer to six games away from history.
Cilic’s continuous resilience drew praise from the crowd, who were noticeably pro-Federer. His reward was a tightly contested battle at the start of the third set with the third seed being forced to work for the title.
“That’s what I have done throughout all of my career. I never gave up when I start the match. That was my idea today and I also gave my best. That’s all I could have done. “ A devastated Cilic said after the final.
Still, it was only a matter of time before another Federer triumph. At 3-3, back-to-back errors from Cilic’s forehand side gave the Swiss a break for 4-3 as he closed in on the title. History was made two games later when Federer fired an ace down the line to become the most decorated male player in Wimbledon history.
“I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to be here again in the final after last year.” He said.
“I always believed that I could come back and do it again. If you believe, you can go really, really far in your life. I think I did that and I’m happy.”
The triumph occurred 12 months after questions loomed over Federer’s future in the sport. Crashing out in the semifinals to Milos Raonic, he took a six-month hiatus from the sport to recover. Since coming back, he has now won two grand slam titles and two Masters 1000 titles.
“Better than hold the trophy and winning today is just being healthy.” He explained. “It feels great and it means the world to me.”
“We (his team) worked so hard last year, so to back here and ,you know, just feeling great, holding the trophy now and the tournament I have played – It has just been magical.”
As for the possibility of bidding for No.9 in 2018, the 35-year-old seems determined to make a return in what will be his 20th consecutive appearance at the tournament.
“I hope this wasn’t my last match and I hope I can come back here again and defend the title.” He Concluded.
Federer now has 19 grand slam titles, more than any other player in the history of men’s tennis. Only Steffi Graf (22), Serena Williams (23) and Margaret Court (24) have won more major titles than him.
Grigor Dimitrov – ‘Tennis Is A Microscopic Thing In The World Right Now’
The world No.19 speaks out about how he is coping during the tour suspension.
Former grand slam semi-finalist Grigor Dimitrov has become the latest player to urge the governing bodies of tennis to make a united decision regarding when play will resume again.
The ATP and WTA Tours are currently suspended until June due to the Covid-19 pandemic. Although it is likely that the suspension will be extended further with rumours that Wimbledon will be cancelled for the first time since the second world war later this week. Dimitrov’s last tournament was at the Acapulco Open in Mexico, where he reached the semi-finals before losing in straight sets to eventual champion Rafael Nadal.
“Tennis is a microscopic thing in the world right now. The ATP supervisors I’ve talked to in recent days have a variety of theories, but for the time being, we can really only guess if we’re being honest.” Tenniskafe quoted Dimitrov as saying during an interview with bTV.
“The tournaments are cancelled, but we have a big luxury in tennis – there is always next week. Yes, it is very difficult right now, you have seen the Olympics cancelled. The only thing that is at the forefront is to go through this situation we are in, and then start rebuilding. “
The world No.19 is currently residing in California during the lockdown. Describing the situation where he is as ‘more casual’ compared to other parts of the world. California is where the Indian Wells tennis tournament was set to take place earlier this month before it was cancelled.
“In my opinion all federations and players, no matter what rank they are, must come together and make a general decision. Because it’s really not easy at the moment to talk to everyone about points, tournaments, competitions … But now other things are really more important – to be safe, to be healthy and to go through this thing.” He said.
During the suspension, the 28-year-old is keeping himself busy in other ways. Recently he has signed up for an online course with Harvard Business School. Becoming the latest of a series of players to do so. He also manages to keep in touch with his fellow rivals on the tour thanks to the world of social media.
“One of the first players I wrote to was Fabio (Fognini) because he was in Italy. Everyone is on Instagram, we know everyone what they do every minute.”
When the restrictions related to the pandemic comes to an end, Dimitrov has vowed to return back to Europe as he outlines the first thing he would do.
“I just want to go back to Europe. Whether it will be in Bulgaria or in Monaco – I do not know. I certainly want to go home, gather all my relatives and just spend time together. I’ve been in the US for over a month now. As things currently look, there will certainly be another two months. Hopefully it will be faster, but I just want to go home and be with my loved ones.” He concluded.
In the fight against Covid-19 in his home country, Dimitrov has made a donation to a hospital in Haskovo. The city where he was born.
Dimitrov has started the 2020 season with a win-loss record of 7-5. Besides his run to the semifinals in Acapulco, he also reached the second round at the Australian Open and Rotterdam. He has been ranked as high as third in the world.
Tennis Could Be Suspended For ‘A Long Time,’ Warns Millman
The top 50 player isn’t expecting to play on the tour anytime soon.
Australian player John Millman has indicated that he believes the current suspension of the ATP Tour is all but certain to be extended in the coming weeks.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, both the ATP and WTA Tour have been suspended until at least June 8th. Although those in change of both of those governing bodies have previously admitted they are uncertain as to when play will resume. ATP chairman Andrea Gaudenzi has said that ‘it is unknown at this time’ as to when men’s tournaments will resume. Meanwhile, Steve Simon has echoed a similar view during an interview with The Tennis Channel.
Speaking about the current situation, world No.43 Millman said the sport is in a difficult situation due to its global reach with both tournaments and players based around the world. For example the Australian started his season by playing four tournaments in four different countries across three continents within five weeks.
“We’re going to have to be pretty unified in terms of our recovery process before the tour can resume,” Millman told The Age.
“Maybe the tournament location has got the COVID-19 situation under wraps and then manage to contain it, but if someone’s flying in from South America, say, and their country hasn’t got a hold of it, then the tournament can’t (go ahead).
“You can’t have the tournament going when only certain players can get there. I think that’s
where the problems lie.”
The 30-year-old didn’t speculate as to when he and his rivals will be returning to the court, but believes it could be a while. During the coming week the fate of Wimbledon will be decided at an emergency meeting. The All England Club is pondering the motion of cancelling this year’s tournament. A move that has never been taken during peacetime. Wimbledon has been scrapped a total of 10 times during the first and second world wars.
“It’s almost like we have to have a vaccine or the virus has to run its course before there’ll be any let-up there.” Millman commented.
Besides trying to maintain fitness, many players like Millman are in a difficult situation financially due to a lack of income. He has managed to earn $290,705 on the tour this year before the suspension. This is the 44th highest total on the men’s tour. In total, 131 players have surpassed the $100,000 mark. Although the earnings don’t take into account travel costs, coaching, accommodation and so on.
“I just can’t see us playing tennis for a long time and now it’s a matter of trying to stay (the) fight, trying to scrape by a little bit while not much is coming in,” he said.
“You’re used to a bit of money coming in and obviously that’s not the case anymore. Yeah, it’s tough. It’s just not easy. You try and make do.
“But I don’t want to be a sob story, that’s for sure, because I know Australians are doing it a lot tougher than me.”
Millman reached the third round of the Australian Open earlier this year before losing to Roger Federer in a five-set thriller.
Jamie Murray Speaks Out On Wimbledon Dilemma
The two-time mixed doubles champion shares his thoughts about the current situation and the problems that could arise.
Former world No.1 doubles player Jamie Murray says he is unsure how much longer Wimbledon can be delayed this season ahead of a crucial meeting on its future next week.
The All England Club is set to hold an emergency meeting to make a final decision as to what to do with this year’s tournament. Including the possibility of cancelling the event for the first time since 1945. The tennis calendar has been brought to a standstill due to the covid-19 pandemic. There have been more than 500,000 cases of Coronavirus worldwide, according to John Hopkins University.
Speaking about Wimbledon’s potential decision during an interview with BBC Scotland’s The Nine, Murray admits that organisers face a difficult decision. Saying it would pose as a big challenge for them to reschedule the event. Both the ATP and WTA are currently reviewing their calendars with the French Open now taking place a week after the US Open.
“I don’t know how long they could push it back,” said Murray.
“They’re desperate to have their event on, it’s still over three months away and a lot can change in that time,” he added.
Murray has featured in the doubles main draw at Wimbledon every year since his debut back in 2006. He has won the Mixed doubles trophy twice in 2007 (with Jelena Jankovic) and 2017 (with Martina Hingis). The 34-year-old currently has a doubles ranking of 34th.
“For them, optics don’t necessarily look great, I guess, if there’s sporting events all over the world getting cancelled and they’re trying to crack on with things.” He commented on the scheduling difficulties.
“There’s a lot of other stakeholders, a lot of other tournaments to consider. Even things like daylight for the tournament. Once the tournament gets put back, there’s less and less daylight. When you play at Wimbledon normally, you can play until 10 at night.”
The UK is currently in a lockdown with members of the public only allowed to leave their houses for specific reasons. Furthermore, 1.5 million people have been advised to self-isolate for 12 weeks. The government is hopeful that they can flatten the spread of the disease within this period, which is extremely close to the Wimbledon start date.
According to AFP News, any decision to scrap this year’s tournament is likely to have a massive financial impact. Between 2017-2018 Wimbledon made an estimated pre-tax profit of $52 million with over 90% of that invested back into British tennis. Furthermore, the BBC could also suffer a big blow. It is reported that the broadcaster pays in the region of $72 million for the TV rights.
It is unclear as to what day the decision will be made next week. Since its creation in 1877, Wimbledon has been cancelled a total of 10 times before. All of which happened during the first world war (1915-1918) and second (1940-1945). The event has never been delayed or scrapped during peacetime.
Cancelling Wimbledon Was Inevitable And So Was The Heartbreak That Followed
Wimbledon Announces Cancellation As Coronavirus Continues To Affect Tennis Calendar
Jannik Sinner: “My dream is to beat Roger Federer at Wimbledon and win the US Open”
Anastasya Pavlyuchenkova is ready to play in November if the season is extended
Tour Suspension A ‘Dire And Bleak’ Situation For Players, Warns Johanna Konta
REPORT: Miami Open To Be Cancelled With Possibility Of Entire Tour Suspension Amid Coronavirus Threat
Maria Sharapova’s Tennis Legacy
Coronavirus: I Think That The Time For Jokes Is Over
Rafael Nadal And Novak Djokovic Takes Fight For World No.1 Spot To Indian Wells
Elena Rybakina Is Really Special
(VIDEO) EXCLUSIVE: Jon Wertheim On The Current Status Of Tennis And What Could Happen Next
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day 14: Novak Djokovic Proves He Is Invincible
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day 13: Sofia Kenin Fulfils Childhood Dream In A final Nobody Predicted
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day 12: Dominic Thiem Sets Up Djokovic Showdown
(VIDEO) Australian Open Day Seven: Roger Federer Fights Back Once Again
Hot Topics3 days ago
Wimbledon Cancelled And Roland Garros Punished For Its Decision
Latest news2 days ago
Tennis Australia Chief Cast Doubts Over Tennis Resuming In 2020
ATP3 days ago
Grigor Dimitrov – ‘Tennis Is A Microscopic Thing In The World Right Now’
Hot Topics2 days ago
WTA Sheds Light On Plans For Resumption Of Tour
Hot Topics1 day ago
Amelie Mauresmo Fears 2020 Season Is Over, But Becker Disagrees
Latest news2 days ago
Carlos Alcaraz is following in the footsteps of Rafael Nadal
Latest news2 days ago
Andrey Rublev: “It was hard to accept the news about the Olympic Games but we can’t do anything about that”
Latest news1 day ago
Matteo Berrettini: “It was a shock when the Rome Masters was cancelled”