Mark Philippoussis’ Father Arrested On Suspicion Of Child-Sex Abuse - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Mark Philippoussis’ Father Arrested On Suspicion Of Child-Sex Abuse

Published

on

San Diego police have confirmed that the father of former top-10 player Mark Philippoussis has been arrested on suspicion of molesting children.

 

Nikolaos Philippoussis was arrested at his home in Mira Mesa, San Diego on Tuesday morning according to a police statement. He is accused of molesting two children that he was coaching in the country. According to one tweet for the San Diego police department (which has since been deleted), detectives are investigating if there are any further victims.

“(Nikolaos) Philippoussis works as a personal tennis coach in Northern San Diego County and the alleged molestation victims took tennis lessons from him,” lieutenant Rylaarsdam said.
“The investigation is ongoing at this time.”

According to Fox 5, the charges against Nikolas include ‘lewd and lascivious’ acts on a child under the age of 14 and having sex with a child under the age of 10. It has been reported that the 68-year-old is seeking a US$2.5 million (AU$3.15 million) bail.

“He was booked on 12 accounts of child abuse, child molestation and they are pretty serious.” A police official told Fox 5. “The victims have not been identified and will not be identified. At this point we are doing our best to try and shield them.”

Throughout his son’s tennis career, Nikolaos was a pivotal member of his coaching team by being his manager and coach at different stages. Philippoussis achieved a ranking high of 8th in 1999 and is a two-time grand slam finalist. He won a total of 11 ATP titles between 1995-2006.

In June Philippoussis paid a touching tribute to his father on Father’s day. In an instagram post he described him as somebody who always protected him and guided him through life.

There has been no comment from the former player following his father’s arrest. Nikolaos is set to appear in court at 8am on Wednesday morning local time.

The full police statement

Earlier today (Tuesday), detectives from the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department’s Child Abuse Unit arrested Nikolaos Philippoussis, age 68, at his residence in Mira Mesa for multiple counts of lewd and lascivious acts with two minor victims. Philippoussis works as a personal tennis coach in Northern San Diego County and the alleged molestation victims took tennis lessons from him. The investigation is ongoing at this time. Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to call the Sheriff’s Department at (858) 974-2310.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Latest news

Dominic Thiem beats Andrey Rublev in a high-quality match at Thiem’s tournament in Kitzbuhel

Published

on

Dominic Thiem beat Andrey Rublev 7-5 6-4 in a high-quallty match to take the lead in his round-robin group at Thiem’s tournament in Kitzbuhel.

 

Thiem converted his fourth break point chance at deuce in the first game of the second set to take a 1-0 lead. Rublev broke back in the fourth game to draw level to 2-2. Thiem earned his second break at 15 to win the first set 7-5.

The Austrian player converted his only break point in the seventh game to take a 4-3 lead and saved Rublev’s only break point chance to seal the second set 6-4 on his third match point.

The 2020 Australian Open finalisti s the only player in his group with two wins.

Dennis Novak bounced back from the defeat in his opening match with a 6-1 6-4 win over Karen Khachanov.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Rafael Nadal casts doubts about travelling to New York for the US Open and commits to the Madrid Mutua Open

Published

on

Rafael Nadal has cast doubts about travelling to New York to play at the US Open and could not defend the title he won last year. The 19-time Grand Slam champion has confirmed that he will play at the Madrid Mutua Open, which will be held from 12 to 20 September one week after the US Open. The Madrid Mutua Open and the Internazionali BNL d’Italia in Rome are the two clay Masters 1000 tournaments leading to the French Open, which will be held from 27th September to 11th October 2020.

 

“Rafael has confirmed his participation in Madrid. I talked to my friend Rafael Nadal and has confirmed his participation in Madrid next September. We wait for you as always with open arms in the Magic Box”, said Madrid tournament director Feliciano Lopez.

Last year Nadal won his fourth title in New York and the 19th Grand Slam trophy of his career beating Danil Medvedev in five sets. He also won 12 Roland Garros titles, two Wimbledon titles and the Australian Open once.

Novak Djokovic, who has tested positive for coronavirus during the Adria Tour, has not committed to play the US Open.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Matteo Berrettini beats Roberto Bautista Agut to take the lead in his round robin group at the Thiem’s 7 tournament in Kitzbuhel

Published

on

Matteo Berrettini beat Roberto Bautista Agut 6-4 6-3 to take the lead in the Soccer Coin round-robin group at the Thiem’s 7 in Kitzbuhel.

 

Both players earned two break points in the opening set, but they held their serve in the first sixth games. Berrettini converted his second break point chance in the seventh game to take a 4-3. The 2019 US Open semifinalist saved two break points in his next two service games to close out the first set 6-4.

The second set went on serve in the first four games. Berrettini earned two break points and did not face a single break point chance in the second set. The Italian player broke serve in the fifth game at love to take a 3-2 lead. The world number 8 player went up a double break in the ninth game to clinch the second set 6-3.

With two wins in the first two matches Berrettini will face Karen Khachanov in the third and final match of the round robin group. Berrettini hit five aces and won 71% of his first serve points.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending