Former Wimbledon Champions Slam Bernard Tomic Over Outburst - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Former Wimbledon Champions Slam Bernard Tomic Over Outburst

Published

on

Bernard Tomic (zimbio.com)

Australian world No.59 Bernard Tomic has been condemned by two former Wimbledon champions for remarks he made after his first round loss.

 

Tomic crashed out of SW19 on Tuesday after a straight sets loss to Germany’s Mischa Zverev. It is the tenth tournament this season where the Australian has lost in the opening round. Reflecting upon his latest defeat at Wimbledon, Tomic admitted that he felt ‘bored’ during the match as he struggles with the mental side of his game.

“To me, this is one of the biggest tournaments in the world that I have done really well in my career and, yeah, I just couldn’t find anything,” he said.
“You know I wasn’t mentally and physically there, with my mental state to perform and I don’t know why.
“But I felt a little bit bored out there to be completely honest with you. You know, I tried at the end and he managed to win that set 6-3 or 6-4, but it was too late.”

The 24-year-old refused to hold back about how he was really feeling on the tour this year. Declaring that he is no longer satisfied about ‘holding a trophy,’ Tomic sparked further criticism when he said he did not care how he performs in a grand slam event.

“I couldn’t care less if I make a fourth-round US Open or I lose first round. To me, everything is the same. You know, I’m going to play another 10 years, and I know after my career, I won’t have to work again.”

A former teenage prodigy of Australian tennis, Tomic admits that his time spent on the tour is taking its toll on him. At the age of 17 he reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon in what is still his best grand slam performance to date. Since then, he had broken the world’s top-20 and won three ATP titles.

“This is my 8th Wimbledon or 9th I think. I’m still 24, and it’s tough to find motivation, you know. Really, me being out there on the court, to be honest with you, I just couldn’t find any motivation.” He said.

‘Ex-Aussies are cringing’

1987 Wimbledon champion Pat Cash has since blasted Tomic for his remarks. Earlier this year, he said the world No.59 ‘has the talent to be a top-5 player.’ Cash’s favourable opinion of Tomic has since changed following the outburst.

“I don’t think Bernie by a long shot represents Australian players. He’s going to have to do a lot worse than that to ruin the image we’ve created,” Cash said on the BBC.
“But a lot of ex-Aussies are cringing, especially guys who started this pro circuit.”

Another fierce critic is 18-time grand slam champion Martina Navratilova. Speaking on the same BBC programme as Cash, she suggested that Tomic should quit the sport if he can’t get motivated.

“It’s disrespectful to the sport, it’s disrespectful to the history of the sport,” she said.
“If you can’t get motivated at Wimbledon it’s time to find another job.
“Most of all, the spectators .. some of these people probably work in a factory. They pay good money to come here and watch Wimbledon and the guy shows up and doesn’t really try and can’t even be bothered. Just stay home.”

Tomic exits this year’s Wimbledon championships with £35,000 in prize money.

A clip of Tomic’s press conference

 

 

Latest news

Angelique Kerber: “I am heavy-hearted about the cancellation of the grass season”

Published

on

Former Wimbledon champion Angelique Kerber has posted her thought on the Wimbledon cancellation.

 

“The thought of playing at Wimbledon has always been the biggest source of my motivation. It goes without saying that I I am heavy hearted that the cancellation of the grass court season also means that I won’t be able to play in front of my home crowd in sport unites, in good and bad times. Once this has passed, it may even help us appreciate our everydayday routines and the beauty of our sport even more than before. Thanks to everyone who is working 24/7 to get us through this uncertain time”.

The German player of Polish origin won three Grand Slam titles at the Australian Open and at the US Open in 2016 and at Wimbledon in 2018. She won the Olympic singles silver medal in Rio de Janeiro 2016 losing in the final to Monica Puig.

Kerber lost to Samantha Stosur in the first round in Brisbane. Kerber beat Wang Qiang in straight sets in the first round before retiring from her second round match against Ukraine’s Dayana Yastremska due to a left harmstring injury, after the German player was down a set and a break.

At the Australian Open Kerber beat Elisabetta Cocciaretto, Priscilla Hon, Camila Giorgi before losing to Anastasya Pavlyuchenkova. She is currently ranked world number 21 in the WTA Ranking.

Continue Reading

ATP

Tour Suspension Will Benefit Novak Djokovic More Than Nadal And Federer, Claims Woodbridge

The former world No.1 doubles player explains why he thinks Djokovic will benefit more than his rivals.

Published

on

Australian tennis great Todd Woodbridge believes the current suspension of tennis could have a silver lining for Novak Djokovic and his bid to claim the greatest of all time honour.

 

On Wednesday it was confirmed that all professional tennis tournaments have been suspended until at least July due to the Covid-19 pandemic. The decision came shortly after Wimbledon was forced to axe their event for the first time since 1945. Prior to the suspension, Djokovic started 2020 unbeaten by winning 18 matches in a row. During that period he guided Serbia to the ATP Cup title, won a record eighth Australian Open title and triumphed at the Dubai Tennis Championships.

Now with the tour being brought to a halt, some are speculating as to what the implications could be on the prestigious Big Three. A trio featuring Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. Between them they have won 52 out of the last 60 grand slam tournaments.

Woodbridge believes Djokovic is in the best situation because of his age. At the age of 32 he is younger than both Nadal (33) and Federer (38). Although neither of those players are planning to retire from the sport just yet.

“Because of the uncertainty, it makes it hard to see how the three can dominate when they come back because of the age of Roger and Rafa,” Woodbridge told Yahoo Sport Australia.
“It also puts more pressure on Rafa and it changes all of those storylines that were on the table for 2020.
“For Novak, it may come at a good time in his career to actually rejuvenate him again, give him another big burst.
“So if anything, this period helps him the most.”

The biggest question mark surrounds Federer, who recently underwent knee surgery and will turn 39 in August. However, the Swiss Maestro has recently confirmed that he intends to play the 2021 season after pledging to return to the court in Halle. One of the grass-court tournaments that has been cancelled this year.

“We experience difficult times, however, we will arise from it strengthened. Already today I am glad and excited about my return to Halle next year.” He said.

Although Woodbridge believes the suspension will hinder Federer’s dream of extending his record-breaking grand slam tally of 20 titles. He last won a major at the 2018 Australian Open. However, since then Federer has only reached a grand slam final in one out of seven attempts.

“The less match play that you get in this period at that age, it’s so much harder to come back and recover once you start again.” Woodbridge explained.
“So I really think that post-2020 will be a new era of people trying to create records because it’ll have really have broken up a great period in tennis.
“It has stopped the potential, I think, of Federer winning one or two more.
“It becomes very highly unlikely for him.”

Djokovic heads the world rankings with a 370-point lead over second place Nadal. Federer is currently in fourth position behind Dominic Thiem.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Dominic Thiem Denies Allegation He ‘Misled’ Former Coach

A war of words has broken out between the world No.3 and his former long-time mentor Gunther Bresnik.

Published

on

Dominic Thiem - Australian Open 2020 (via Twitter, @AustralianOpen)

Dominic Thiem has stated that he has no intention to publicly disclose the reason as to why he stopped working with his former coach despite recently coming under fire from him.

 

The three-time grand slam finalist has been criticised by Gunther Bresnik, who claims he was ‘misled’ by the world No.3. Bresnik was a key figure in Thiem’s team until last year. Coaching the Austrian throughout his junior and professional career for a 15-year period. He was replaced last April by former Olympic champion Nicolas Massu.

It is unclear as to what was the decisive factor behind the split of a partnership that at one staged looked solid. Thiem met Bresnik at the age of eight when his father applied to work at his academy in Vienna. Under his guidance, he won 11 out of his 15 ATP titles so far in his career.

“Becomes clearer to me with time how things went. It doesn’t make it more aesthetic. There are things I totally don’t understand: honesty, loyalty, values…there was not much left.” Journalist Jannik Schneider quoted Bresnik as saying.
“I have no big problem with it besides the fact that I was misled. You can’t do that to someone that you owe everything. His dad would be a club coach and Dominic a futures player without me.”

The comment has triggered a response from Thiem, who has blasted Bresnik’s suggestion that he wouldn’t have been able to reach the top of the sport without his help. In a statement issued to the Austrian Press Agency (APA), the 26-year-old questioned if his former coach has developed ‘delusions of grandeur.’ A term loosely used to describe a person who believes they are greater than they actually are.

“When he complains about a lack of respect, and says that I owe it all to him, and seriously suggests that I would have been a futures player without him, I have to ask whether he has developed delusions of grandeur.” Said Thiem.

As to the root of the fallout between the two, Thiem is refusing to speak publicly about what happened. Although he denied that Bresnik has been misled in any way.

“I did not part ways with him without a reason,” he stated. “Bresnik knows the reasons and at this time I won’t make them public.”

Since pairing up with Massu, Thiem has enjoyed further success of the tour. During the early stages of their collaboration he won his first Masters 1000 title in Indian Wells last year. Since then, he has gone on to claim another four ATP titles and was runner-up to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open in January.

Thiem is the first player from his country to break into the world’s top three since Thomas Muster back in 1997.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending