‘Worried’ Andy Murray Seeks Urgent Help From Mentor Lendl - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

‘Worried’ Andy Murray Seeks Urgent Help From Mentor Lendl

Published

on

Andy Murray (zimbio.com)

Ivan Lendl will make an earlier than expected return to the Andy Murray camp following the Brit’s latest disappointment at the Madrid Open.

 

The world No.1 has endured a troublesome start to the clay, failing to reach the final at three consecutive tournaments. His latest stumble occurred earlier this week at the Madrid Open when he was knocked out in straight sets by Croatian teenager Borna Coric. The Brit has only won four out of seven matches he has played on the surface this season.

“I definitely think I need to be concerned about today (Thursday). It’s not always the worst thing losing a match, but it’s sometimes the manner of how you lose the match is what can be concerning or disappointing.” Murray said after his loss to the Croat.

Coming to the rescue is former full-time coach Lendl. Between 2012-2014, the 57-year-old guided Murray to two grand slam titles, four ATP trophies (Queen’s, Miami and Brisbane twice) and one Olympic gold medal. Their partnership ended in 2014 as Lendl struggled to dedicate himself full-time. The two have since worked together during certain intervals of the season.

“Ivan is coming over on the Sunday of Rome [next week] and then we tend to spend more time together during the grass,” Murray told The Scotsman. “That’s a period of the year, even the last time we worked together, we spent a lot of time the week before the French, Queen’s, Wimbledon – seven or eight weeks out of ten weeks we would spend together.”

Murray currently travels the tour alongside fellow British coach Jamie Delgado. It is understood that the addition of Lendl will have no impact of Delgado’s position. Instead the two will work side-by-side ahead of the French Open.

This week Murray has dropped 910 points in the Emirates rankings due to his early Madrid exit. He will still be world No.1 come next week, but second placed Novak Djokovic is gradually closing in on his position. The lull is form has occurred ever since the 29-year-old suffered a minor elbow injury. Still, Murray refuses to let it be an excuse for his recent results.

“That’s not an excuse or a reason why I’ve been playing like I have, or maybe not in the best shape earlier in the year,” Murray said. “Collectively as a team, we need to work out why that is. There’s no blame on anyone, it’s down to me.”

Prior to his Lendl reunion, Murray will play in the Rome Masters. He is the defending champion in the event and will have 1000 points to defend.

Latest news

Anna-Lena Groenefeld announces the end of her career

Published

on

Anna-Lena Groenefeld has ended her career to start a family. The 34-year-old German player started her professional career in 2003 after becoming the first German player since 1957 to win the Junior French Open and the junior world number 1 in both singles and doubles disciplines.

 

Groenefeld won a WTA singles title in Acapulco in 2006 beating Flavia Pennetta in Acapulco and advanced the quarter finals at the French Open in the same year. She achieved the best results of her career in doubles reaching her career-high of number 7, qualified seven Grand Slam semifinals at the Australian Open, Wimbledon and the US Open and won two mixed doubles titles at Wimbledon 2009 and at the US Open 2014. Groenefeld reached three Premier 5 doubles finals in Rome, Toronto and Cincinnati and the semifinals in her farewell tournament at the WTA Finals in Shenzhen with her partner Demi Schuurs.

Groenefeld announced on social media:

“This little girl had dreams. For the last 18 years, she was able to live one of them. Now it’s time to hopefully fulfil another dream of having a family. I want to say thank you to everyone, who was by my side through all those years in the ups and downs. My family, friends and all of you who followed and supported me all those years. Thank you”.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Vincenzo Santopadre: “Berrettini has become the coach of himself”

Published

on

The Italian 23-year-old player broke into the top 10 of the ATP Ranking on 28 October and reached the career-high at world number 8 on 4 November.

 

Berrettini’s coach Vincenzo Santopadre talked about the Italian star’s exciting year during an interview to FIT (Italian Tennis Federation).

“The past year has been incredible and exciting. Matteo has contunued to outdo himself every day, managing to complete himself exponentally and gradually become the coach of himself. He has improved in every aspect. It is no coincidence that he has collected results on all surfaces”, said Santopadre.

In his breakthrough season Berrettini became the first ATP Finals singles qualifier from Italy since former number 8 player and current Davis Cup captain Corrado Barazzutti in 1978. Only three Italian players in history (Adriano Panatta, Corrado Barazzutti and Matteo Berrettini) have managed to qualify for the year-end ATP Finals

Berrettini won two titles in Budapest on clay and Stuttgart on grass and reached ATP 500 semifinals at Halle, Vienna and became the first Italian player in history to reach a Masters 1000 semifinal in Shanghai.

He became the second Italian player in history to reach the US Open semifinal and the fourth player in the history of Italian tennis to reach a Grand Slam semifinal following in the footsteps of Adriano Panatta, Corrado Barazzutti and Marco Cecchinato. Berrettini reached the Wimbledon fourth round by defeating Diego Schwartzman after saving three match points.

“Matteo has matured so much this year. We must continue to trust him because he is a guy, who gives so much passion and will.

 Berrettini will start the 2020 season at the ATP Cup in Perth before the Australian Open.

 “I don’t know if the season that will come will be more difficult, but it will certainly be different due to the expectations that Matteo was able to create: 2020 is upon us. Now it is right to recharge the batteries, but we must be ready because it will be an important year”, said Santopadre.

 

Continue Reading

Focus

Ashleigh Barty, Simona Halep and Venus Williams are the stand-out names in Adelaide

Published

on

Four top 10 players Ashleigh Barty, Simona Halep, Petra Kvitova and Kiki Bertens and former Grand Slam champions Venus Williams and Angelique Kerber will grab the headlines at the Adelaide International from 12 to 18 January 2020.

 

A total of seven Grand Slam champions and five former world number one players will take part in the Adelaide WTA tourament.

This year’s Roland Garros champion Ashleigh Barty leads a star-studded line-up, which includes 2019 Wimbledon champion Simona Halep, two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova, Kiki Bertens and seven other members of the top 20.

The Main Draw also features Sofia Kenin, Alison Riske, Sloane Stephens and Danielle Collins, World Number 30 Quang Wang. World Number 12 and this Rome WTA Premier finalist Johanna Konta will play her first tournament since the US Open following a knee injury.

Seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus Williams has been announced as the Top 20 wildcard.

“It is always exciting to play at a new tournament in front of new fans. I have had so many memorable times times in Australia over the years and I am looking forward to discovering Adelaide and all it has to offer”, said Venus Williams.

The men’s line-up includes 2019 Australian Open and Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic, Alex De Minaur, Lucas Pouille and Andrey Rublev.

“The full list of players is a real who’s who of tennis, from Australia’s favourite Ashleigh Barty to the iconic Venus Williams, right through to the young talent of Alex De Minaur and the experienced campaigner Novak Djokovic in the men’s field”, said South Australian Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment David Ridgway.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending