Raymond Moore Quits As Indian Wells CEO Amid Controversy - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Raymond Moore Quits As Indian Wells CEO Amid Controversy

Published

on

Former Indian Wells CEO, Raymond Moore, presents Serena Williams with the runner-up trophy at the 2016 BNP Paribas Open.

Raymond Moore has resigned as the CEO of the BNP Paribas Open following a major backlash over his controversial comments about the women’s game.

 

On Sunday Moore infuriated the WTA Tour when he said during a morning meeting with the media that women players should ‘go down every night on their knees and thank god Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal was born’. Moore, who has been the CEO of the tournament since 2012, claimed that the men’s game have ‘carried the sport’ and not the women.

The comments have sparked outrage in the tennis world, prompting a sharp response from world No.1 Serena Williams. Novak Djokovic was another player to condemn Moore’s comments before he reignited a debate about equal prize money in tennis. The departure of Moore was confirmed by the owner of the BNP Paribas Open, Larry Ellison.

“Earlier today I had the opportunity to speak with Raymond Moore,” said BNP Paribas Open Owner, Larry Ellison.
“Ray let me know that he has decided to step down from his roles as CEO and Tournament Director effective immediately. I fully understand his decision.”

Moore has been involved with the tournament for over 25 years. Prior to his position of tournament CEO, he was the former owner and managing partner. Earlier in his life he was a professional South African tennis player who achieved a career ranking high of 34th in 1976. During his career, he won eight doubles titles between 1974-1981.

Further on in his statement, Ellison paid tribute to the women’s game and thanked them for their work for equal prize money. Since 2007 all four Grand Slam tournaments pay the same amount of prize money to both men and women.

“I would like to personally thank all the great women athletes who fought so hard for so many years in the pursuit of equal prize money in professional tennis. And I’d like to congratulate them on their success. All of us here at the BNP Paribas Open promise to continue working with everyone to make tennis a better sport for everybody.” He later added.

There is currently no information concerning who will take over from Moore as the new CEO of the prestigious tournament.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

ATP

Tomas Berdych: It Is Up To Others To Decide My Legacy

The former top-10 player spoke with reporters for the first time since officially retiring from the sport

Published

on

Tomer Berdych (far left) among group of recently retired player's attending special presentation at The 2019 ATP Finals

LONDON: Tomas Berdych has said his future plans is ‘to not have a plan’ after officially retiring from tennis on Saturday at the age of 34.

 

The former Wimbledon runner-up joined a series of other former players to celebrate their careers in a special on-court presentation at the ATP Finals. Also present was Radek Stepanek and David Ferrer. News of Berdych’s decision to walk away from the sport surfaced earlier this week after a Czech newspaper spoke with his father Martin.

Speculation has mounted in recent months about Berdych’s future in the sport after struggles with injury issues concerning his back and hip. He hasn’t played on the tour since the US Open. Overall, he has only managed to play 22 matches this season. Winning 13 of them.

“I was able to train, practice, prepare, and then you get to the tournament, and then I play three games, the problem came back.” Berdych explained during a press conference about his decision.
“You put all the negative stuff on the one side, and then the positive is to go on court, fight, win the match, and there was no chance to achieve that. There is really no point to continue.”

Playing in the shadows on the Big Four contingent, the Czech still managed to establish himself as a household name. Albeit on a smaller scale. As of this week, he is ranked as the 11th highest-earning player on the ATP Tour in history with more than $29 million in prize money. His achievements include winning 13 ATP titles and spending 794 consecutive weeks in the top 100. At his peak, he was fourth in the world rankings and finished seven seasons inside the top 10.

Like any other player, it hasn’t always been a smooth journey for Berdych. One example was during the 2012 Australian Open where he was booed off the court after defeating Nicolas Almagro during what was a bad-tempered encounter. However, fortunately, most of his career has been free from controversy.

“Do I have any regrets? No, I think even the bad things or the negative experience that I went through or I experienced or I have done, I think they were there for the reason. I think without them, I wouldn’t be as good as I was.” Berdych stated.
“I think even the bad ones were there for a reason.”

Now he has stepped away from the sport for good, what does the future have in store? According to the Czech, he is in no intention of rushing into anything else soon. Although he admits that it may not be tennis-related.

“The plan is actually not to have any plans. The last 15, 20 years was so hectic and so demanding that I just need to just to breathe out easily after all those years.”

As the chapter closes on the career of one of the Czech Republic’s most successful male players in the Open Era, he leaves the sport with high respect from both his fans and fellow rivals. As for his legacy, he says that it is not for him to decide.

“I think I’m not the correct one to judge that. I was trying to do the best I possibly can, and I think this is something that you created with your achievement and with your behavior.” He concludes.

Berdych’s career in numbers

2 – number of Davis Cup titles won
4 – highest ATP ranking achieved
13– number of ATP titles
53 – number of wins over top 10 players
342 – number of losses on the ATP Tour
640 – number of wins on the ATP Tour
2002 – the year he turned pro
2019 – the year he retired
29,491,328 – career prize money (in US dollars)

Continue Reading

Focus

Jannik Sinner cruises through to the semifinal at the ATP Challenger in Ortisei

Published

on

Last week’s Next Gen ATP Finals champion Jannik Sinner beat his Federico Gaio 6-4 6-4 to reach the semifinals at the ATP Challenger in Ortisei in the Italian region of Sudtyrol.

 

During this week Sinner beat Lucas Miedler, Roberto Marcora and Federico Gaio without dropping a set. The 18-year-old player coached by Riccardo Piatti is projected to improve his ranking to world number 88 in the ATP Ranking and could reach the top 80 at world number 78 if he wins the Ortisei tournament. This position would rank Sinner as the sixth Italian best ranked player behind Matteo Berrettini, Fabio Fognini, Lorenzo Sonego, Marco Cecchinato and Andreas Seppi. This year Sinner won two Challenger tournaments in Bergamo and Lexington and reached two more semifinals in Ostrava and Mouilleron le Captif.

Sinner converted his third break point chance at deuce in the fourth game to take a 3-1 lead in the first set. Gaio broke back at 15 in the seventh game and held serve to draw level to 4-4. Sinner sealed the first set with a break at love in the 10th game with a double fault from Gaio. Sinner closed the match with the only break in the 10th game of the second set.

Sinner set up a semifinal against number 6 seed Antoine Hoang, who cruised past France’s Elliott Benchetrit 6-2 6-0. Earlier this year Sinner beat Hoang 6-4 5-7 6-1 in the qualifying round in Lyon.

Austria’s Sebastian Ofner beat this year’s Australian Open Junior champion Lorenzo Musetti 7-6 (7-5) 6-2. Ofner rallied from 1-5 down to draw level to 5-5 in the tie-break, but Ofner won the final two points to win the first set. Ofner broke twice in the first and fifth games to win the second set 6-2.

Continue Reading

ATP

Alexander Zverev Topples Medvedev To End Hopes Of Fedal Clash At ATP Finals

The defending champion survives, but knocks Rafael Nadal out of the competition.

Published

on

LONDON: Alexander Zverev has kept his chances of claiming a second consecutive ATP Finals title alive after downing Daniil Medvedev in a crucial match.

The world No.7 rallied to a 6-4, 7-6(4), victory in what was a must-win match for the German player. Who was on the brink of exiting the event as a result of Rafael Nadal’s win earlier in the day. The key to Zverev’s win was his trusted serve as he didn’t face a single break point in the 77-minute match. On top of that, he hit 21 winners and eight aces.

 

“This arena at The O2 is probably where I play my best tennis.” Said Zverev.
“The atmosphere here is something we (the players) don’t play in at all anywhere else in the world. This is so special to us.”

Resting on this match was the prospect of Roger Federer locking horns with nemesis Rafael Nadal for the 41st time. In order for that to occur, it was up to Medvedev to clinch a win. However, Zverev had his own plans as he extended his winning head-to-head record against the Russian to 5-1.

“He had nothing to lose. It was his last (ATP) match of the season and he could just enjoy the tennis, the atmosphere, and the stadium. And for me, it was a must-win situation to go through.”

It was a substandard Medvedev service game at the start of the match which would elevate Zverev to an early advantage as he broke instantly. Fortunately for the rowdy crowd at the 18,500 capacity arena, the Russian did manage to elevate the level of his game. Although it was still not good enough to derail Zverev from clinching the opener after just 33 minutes of play. A 141 mph serve down the center of the court from the 22-year-old forced another error from his rival to generate a set point chance. Zverev then converted after an attempted down the line shot from Medvedev backfired.

Despite clinching the lead, it was by no means a foregone conclusion for Zverev. Who had to contend with some stern play across the court. There was little difference between the two players throughout the second set. In the end, it would be a tiebreak that separated them. At the worst possible time, a Medvedev double fault enabled Zverev to break for 5-3. Once again in control of proceedings, he held his nerve to close the match out with an ace down the center of the court. Prompting a huge roar from Zverev as he paid tribute to his rival moments after.

“He was probably the best player in the world over the summer. Making it to six straight finals is unbelievable. You haven’t seen that (on the tour) for a long time.” He commented on Medvedev’s season.
“I think next year he is going to be very dangerous.”

Zverev finishes second in the Andre Agassi Group. He will play rival and friend Dominic Thiem in the semi-finals on Saturday. A player who he trails 2-5 in their head-to-head.

“Playing against your friend means you have both done incredibly well throughout the whole year and this week. It’s a great honor to play against him.” He reflected.

Should he defend his title this week, Zverev would become the first player outside of the Big Three to do so since Lleyton Hewitt (2001-2002).

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending