Novak Djokovic: 'I Have Reached My Peak on Experience' - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Hot Topics

Novak Djokovic: ‘I Have Reached My Peak on Experience’

Ivan Pasquariello

Published

on

Novak Djokovic talks to the media after winning his 4th title in Paris-Bercy. The World No.1 dominated Andy Murray in straight sets and became the first ever player to win 6 Masters 1000 tournaments in the same season. Novak reveals why he has reached his peak now.

 

 

Novak Djokovic can’t stop winning in 2015. After starring in all Four Grand Slam finals of the year – winning three – the World No.1 has become on Sunday the first player alive to conquer 6 Masters 1000 tournaments in the same season, after beating in straight sets Andy Murray in the final of the BNP Paribas Masters. The Serb hasn’t lost a match since August, when he fell to Roger Federer in Cincinnati, in the final of the Masters 1000 tournament, in straight sets.

After that loss Novak has gone on to win the US Open, then the ATP 500 tournament of Beijing and the Masters 1000 tournaments in Shanghai and Paris-Bercy. One word to describe the Serb’s season would just be “impressive”. With the win in France, Novak has collected his 58th ATP title, his 10th of the season.

Considering how the Serb has only lost 5 matches so far this year, we can clearly say this has been the best season Djokovic has ever played on the tour. Can we say that the Serb has officially reached his peak? He thinks so, at least on one specific aspect of his game.

“I think there is few reasons why I have managed to reach my peak at this stage of my career this year. I think in terms of physical and mental ability, I reached my peak experience-wise, obviously have had a lot of matches that in the past that have led me to where I am at this stage.” said Novak.

“I’m a married man, and I’m a father, as well. I think I have a nice balance and serenity in private life that reflects on the professional life, and vice versa. I have this belief that the holistic approach will definitely get the best out of yourself.”

The question many have, is if Novak can possibly get any better than this, if there is still room for improvement in his tennis. The Serb said he thinks so.

“I am still determined to improve my tennis. Nobody can be perfect, but you know, if you try for perfection than you can reach excellence. That is the mind set I have. I try to work every single day with a purpose.”

Novak than analyzed the match played against Murray, revealing how at 3-2 in the second set it looked like Murray could turn things around, but the Serb is proud of how he managed to stay strong and close the match in two. He praised Murray for being an opponent that can read the swings in confidence and thus he is happy he managed not to let Andy turn things around or show any doubt.

Finally, the Serb has already set his sight on London and the 02 Arena, where he will be the blatant favorite for the title, but where he will also have the pressure of being the defending champion.

Nole can’t wait to play in London.

“I’m hoping that I can repeat, you know, kind of performances and success I have had there in previous years. I like the conditions there. Crowd is great. Attendance is amazing. It’s a great stage for the tennis tournament, O2 Arena that I think is the most used arena in the world in terms of events. It became kind of like a tennis cradle, a little bit, because of the history of the World Tour Finals event that has been organized now I think for sixth year in a row.

Yeah, I look forward to it, especially because of the fact that I have had a season that I have had, you know, and the way that I’m feeling confidently. Hopefully I can finish off the season with another great win.”

Hot Topics

WTA’s Restart Efforts Overshadowed By Likely Cancellation Of All Chinese Tournaments

Big blow dealt to the WTA calendar as Chinese Authorities cancel all international events in China for 2020, including the WTA Finals in Shenzhen.

Published

on

Group selfie at the WTA Championships in Shenzhen 2019 (photo Twitter @WTAFinals)

After many weeks of relative silence, the WTA had a very eventful day on Thursday releasing its revised mechanism for the calculation of the WTA Ranking and confirming some changes to its calendar. However, the organization managing the women’s pro tour had to face some terrible news coming from Asia, where the General Administration of Sport of China in an unexpected move decided to wipe away all international sports events in China, casting an ominous shadow over some of the most lucrative tournaments in the WTA calendar.

 

After the ATP announced on Monday a new ranking system based on results obtained in the last 22 months (from March 2019 to December 2020), the WTA unveiled a substantially similar system that allows players to maintain the points obtained in 2019 if they are unable or unwilling to participate to the corresponding tournament in 2020 or if they achieve a worse result in this year’s event. The only significant difference with the ATP’s new ranking system consists of allowing players to count only the best 16 results achieved in the considered 22-month window, while the men’s tour allows to count up to 18 results.

“In order to balance fairness and flexibility for all players, the WTA Rankings will generally follow the ‘Better of 2019 and 2020’ point model, in alignment with the ATP Tour,” the WTA said in a statement. “In reaching this decision, various elements were considered including the provisional 2020 revised calendar, various travel restrictions, varying levels of player comfort of traveling to compete, as well as the elimination of player commitment requirements for the remainder of 2020.”

Furthermore, the WTA announced two addition to its provisional 2020 calendar that sees professional tournaments resume on 3rd August with the Palermo Ladies Open in Palermo, Italy. In fact, on the week of 10th August there will be one new event on clay in Europe and one on hard courts in the USA: they will be the Prague Open in Prague, Czech Republic and the Bluegrass Orthopaedics in Lexington, Kentucky.

The former event was originally planned to take place in the spring and was tentatively included in an earlier draft of the new calendar, but then almost immediately dropped. The latter tournament replaces the WTA International Citi Open, due to take place in Washington, D.C. at the same time as the ATP 500 event.

“After an exhaustive effort collaborating with all of our stakeholders over many months, we committed to hosting the WTA tournament as part of our event in August so that we could provide playing opportunities for WTA players and continue to showdown women’s tennis to our community – said the Citi Open in a statement posted on their social media accounts – However, given the unique circumstances and requirements this year, we understand and support Octagon [that owns the rights to the event] and the WTA’s decision to hold the tournament as a completely separate event in 2020. We wish them and the local organizers in Lexington, Kentucky all the best for a safe and successful tournament. We still plan to present women’s tennis during this year’s Citi Open and look forward to hosting the women’s tournament in Washington, D. C. next year and long into the future”.

But the mood at the WTA Offices in St. Petersburg, Florida changed quickly when a press release coming from the Chinese press agency Xinhua announced a decision by the General Administration of Sport of China to cancel all international events due to be held in China in 2020, with the only exception of test events for the 2022 Beijing Olympic Winter Games. This seems to include all tennis tournaments planned for the months of September and October, in particular the WTA Premier 5 in Wuhan, the WTA Premier Mandatory in Beijing and above all the WTA Championships in Shenzhen, as well as the ATP Masters 1000 Shanghai Rolex Masters.

The WTA relies on the year-end WTA Championships for more than 60 percent of its annual turnover, and overall is extremely dependent on the revenues generated by its Chinese swing during the Fall. The lack of official comments from the WTA Headquarters seems to suggest the announcement came out of the blue and no contingency plan is presently in place to limit the effect of a complete cancellation of the Chinese tournaments.

At this late stage, it appears problematic to replace those big events with other tournaments in other locations around the world, not only for the difficulty to source a sufficient number of high-paying sponsors, but also due to the uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic that has led many countries to place heavy restrictions to international travel.

Continue Reading

Grand Slam

Wimbledon Throwback: Fairytale Triumph For Maria Sharapova

Before Wimbledon 2004, Maria Sharapova was virtually unknown. Over the next two weeks, her life changed, and so did women’s tennis.

Published

on

Maria Sharapova (foto FABRIZIO MACCANI)

One day in June 2004, I came home from school, switched on the Wimbledon coverage and was transfixed by Maria Sharapova – a 17-year-old Russian who played tennis with an intensity I had never seen before.

 

Unfortunately I don’t remember which of her matches I saw first – her second-round win over Anne Keothavong or her third-round victory over Daniela Hantuchova – but I do remember that she blew away her opponent (and me) with her sublime ball-striking ability.

Sharapova’s serene progress continued until the quarter-final, when she faced her first real test against Ai Sugiyama. At the time, the Japanese player was a top-20 player. And she had plenty of experience to draw on after over a decade on tour.

Initially, Sugiyama’s maturity shone through as she won a tight opening set 7-5. However, her young Russian opponent gave many people their first glimpse of one of her defining qualities – fighting spirit. She clawed her way back into the match by coming out on top in an equally close second set. Having broken through the Japanese player’s resistance, Sharapova romped through the decider 6-2 to reach the semi-final.

Against All Odds

Despite her exceptional run to the last four, many observers believed it would come to an end when she faced Lindsay Davenport. It is clear from Sharapova’s autobiography that she agreed.

“I was a kid. Lindsay was a woman. I was weak. Lindsay was strong. I was stringy and narrow. Lindsay was powerful and solid. As I said, in many ways our games were alike. We went by power, played from the baseline, hit flat and low, without much spin, a style that both of us learned from Robert Lansdrop.

“She was twenty-eight years old, so far along there was talk of her retirement. She was not number one just then – that was Serena – but had been number one, off and on, for ninety-eight weeks. So she was one of the greatest tennis players in the world.

“In other words, I’d hung on and hung on till I’d advanced myself right out of my league. I mean, how was I supposed to beat Lindsay Davenport? She was just like me, only bigger, stronger, older, and more experienced. She was just like me, only way more.”

As if that was not already enough to make Sharapova’s task extremely difficult, she also found herself a bit overwhelmed by the occasion. She said she felt as though the crowd would see she was a kid “who did not belong there”, and that the first serve she hit “fluttered over the net like a butterfly”.

Rain Saves Sharapova

Maria Sharapova (foto ART SEITZ)

Just as the Russian expected, Davenport overwhelmed her to begin with. She won the first set 6-2 in just 26 minutes and then went up a break in the second. But just when it seemed like all hope was lost, fate intervened. Rain came pouring down and Sharapova retreated to the locker room to regroup.

Not that the Russian saw it that way. “In my mind, I was already on the plane, heading home,” she said. Thankfully, her father Yuri had other ideas. He told her he had seen it in a dream that she would turn this match around and go on to win the tournament.

And he seemed so certain that Sharapova believed him. It had a strong effect on her. She explained, “In that minute, I went from feeling like I had absolutely no chance, being beaten before I even went back out on the court, to believing I would have the prize if only I could summon the will to take it.”

To her immense credit, that is exactly what the Russian did. She came out after the delay and played exceptionally well. She returned well, drilled her trademark, flat groundstrokes into the corners for seemingly countless winners and even came to the net sometimes to finish points. It was a remarkable turnaround.

Showdown with Serena

I do not have many clear memories of Sharapova’s run to the championship match of Wimbledon 2004. But the final itself will stay in my mind forever.

I remember sitting down to watch it with my mother and thinking, I really hope this spirited Russian underdog can win, but I don’t really believe it. I mean, this is Serena Williams she is facing after all.

If Sharapova had any doubts, they did not show. She came out onto Centre Court and demolished the best female tennis player on the planet. She sent down ace after ace when she served and hit a thrilling succession of winners to finish rallies when they had scarcely begun. And the Russian attacked Serena’s serve in a way I had never seen before and remained calm and focused throughout.

Consequently, the match was over in about 70 minutes and Maria Sharapova – the 17-year-old Russian who most viewers barely knew before the tournament – was the Wimbledon champion. She had produced an extraordinary performance that stunned the sporting world and changed her life forever.

Continue Reading

Hot Topics

New Ranking Rules ‘Best Option’ For 2020, Says Djokovic

The world No.1 is back in the public eye following his COVID-19 diagnoses as he addresses the fallout caused by the Adria Tour.

Published

on

World No.1 Novak Djokovic has lent his full backing behind the ATP and their recent review of the ranking system.

 

The governing body of men’s tennis has made adjustments to how a player’s position on the Tour is calculated in light of the COVID-19 pandemic which has put competitive tennis at a standstill since March. Players can now use their best results from 18 tournaments to determine their ranking based on a 22-month period instead of 12 months. Although they can’t use the same tournament twice. The ATP said that changes have been made to help support those who may not want to travel to certain tournaments or places in the world due to health fears links to the pandemic.

Djokovic, who is the president of the influential ATP Players Council, told Sportski Zurnal that the board fully supports the new move. Under the new guidelines, Djokovic will be the favourite to end the season as world No.1. He will retain his points from winning Wimbledon last year, which has been cancelled. Furthermore, he will also keep his points from titles won at the 2019 Madrid and Paris Masters even if he skips those events later this year or doesn’t do well.

“We discussed it in the council and that decision was made because we wanted to protect the players who don’t want to put themselves at risk and travel,” said Djokovic.
“Some won’t play until the end of 2020 and in this year the list protects them, they are not losing points. On the other hand, players who play will have a chance to earn new points.’
“In this situation, I believe it was the best option.”

Rival Rafael Nadal is another player to have benefited from the changes. Originally the Spaniard would have had to defend 5000 ranking points over a six-week period in three tournaments (US Open, Italian Open and French Open). Now this is no longer the case, he also has the chance to pick up extra points in Cincinnati if he plays to close in on the top spot.

Questioned about the prospect of Nadal closing in and even potentially overtaking him in the rankings with the help of the new changes, Djokovic played down that motion. Arguing that not everybody will be pleased with the changes.

“I don’t want to comment on that, I think this is the most (fair) just towards everybody,” he stated. “Someone will always feel damaged, but I repeat, the ATP and the council wanted to protect the players that don’t want to play. Someone will say that it is not fair, that those who can’t lose any points can have a mental advantage but.”

The ‘witch-hunt’

This week is the first time Djokovic has spoken with the media since the fallout caused by the Adria Tour, which was scrapped following an outbreak of COVID-19. The Serbian caught the virus along with his wife, but both have since fully recovered. Djokovic has been criticized for his role in the event which lacked social distancing and saw players attending various public gatherings. Although all of those events were done in accordance with local government rules.

Addressing the criticism, Djokovic described it as a ‘witch-hunt’ against him as he admits that certain things ‘probably’’ could have been done differently. Making reference to the procedures that were in place at the events in Belgrade and Zadar.

“We’ve learned our lessons and some things could have probably been done in a different way,’ he said.
“I can only see criticism lately and much of it is malicious. It’s obviously more than just criticism, it’s like an agenda and a witch-hunt are on. Someone has to take the fall, a big name.”

Looking ahead to his return to the Tour, Djokovic says he is still undecided on the US Open. Although it is one of the events where he could increase his ranking points tally. Last year he retired injured in the fourth round at Flushing Meadows.

“I still haven’t decided whether I will play in the US Open. The upsurge in registered Covid-19 cases in the United States and New York in particular are not playing into the event’s hands,” the 17-time Grand Slam champion concluded.

Djokovic returned to the practice courts on Tuesday and had a hitting session with fellow player Viktor Troicki.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending