Challenger Tour: Vanni surives whilst Pavic claims shock win - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

Latest news

Challenger Tour: Vanni surives whilst Pavic claims shock win

Published

on

Luca Vanni escaped a tough first-round encounter in Andria today

The final week of the Challenger season continued with the two remaining events taking place in Italy and Japan.

Andria: So far only two seeds have fallen, as eighth seed Mirza Basic fell to local Roberto Marcora (a result predicted on this website yesterday). He joins Dustin Brown as the two seeds to depart after the first round. Luca Vanni nearly joined them. but recovered from a disastrous first set to beat Mikola Mektic 1-6, 6-3, 7-6. Dudi Sela had little trouble in defeating Adrien Bossel of Switzerland, dropping just two games in a 6-1, 6-1 win. Egor Gerasimov was the first to reach the quarter-finals, as he backed up his great win over Brown with a tough 6-7, 6-4, 7-6 win over Belgian qualifier Joris De Loore. He will face the winner of Petru-Alexandru Luncanu and second seed Illya Marchenko. Tere was disappointment for home favourite Andrea Arnaboldi, as he was dispatched by qualifier Ante Pavic 6-4, 6-2.

Picks in bold. Michael Berrer backtracked on a decision to retire, and won his first round match in Andria. He faces local Matteo Viola later Wednesday. Roberto Marcora vs Gianluca Mager is sure to draw a large home crowd, before Marchenko and Luncanu highlight the final singles match of the day.

Toyota: Greg Jones was unable to take advantage of top seed Matthew Ebden’s retirement in his last match, as he was beaten in the second round by Japanese wildcard Sho Katayama 7-5, 7-6. Another seed was beaten as James Duckworth lost to the very in-form Alexander Kudryavtsev 7-6, 6-3. The battle of two players from Taiwan saw Jason Jung, formerly of the United States, emerge the victor. It was a very tight win over compatriot Ti Chen, as Jung was forced to recover from a set down to win 4-6, 6-4, 7-6. Konstantin Kravchuck continued his serene progress with a straight sets win over a Japanese qualifier Itsuki Mina.

Thursday: Second seed Tatsumo Ito, now the highest seed remaining in the draw, highlights Thursday, as he takes on Yuya Kibi. Benjamin Mitchell and Yuichi Sugita are also due on court, they play first on Court 1. Yoshihito Nishioka is up first on Court 2, as he faces Shuichi Sekiguchi. Go Soeda vs South African Tucker Vorster finishes singles play on Court 2.

 

Latest news

Ugo Humbert saves three match points to beat Hubert Hurkacz in Dubai

Published

on

Fifth-seed Ugo Humbert came back from one set down to beat Hubert Hurkacz 3-6 7-6 (10-8) 6-3. Humbert had beaten Hurkacz en route to his title in Marseille. 

Hurkacz converted his third break point in the fourth game to win the first set 6-3. Humbert saved three match points in the tie-break of the second set before converting his first set point to force the match to the decider. Humbert broke twice to seal the third set 6-3. 

“It was a great battle. I tried to battle for every point. In the tie-break I saved three match points, tried to do my best and thanks to those French fans for the amazing support”, said Humbert. 

Humbert set up a semifinal match against Danil Medvedev, who beats Alejandro Davidovich Fokina 6-2 6-3. Humbert leads 2-1 in their head-to-head matches, but Medvedev won their most recent match in three sets at the China Open in their most recent head-to-head match in Beijing last year.

“It’s going to be a great challenge against Danil tomorrow. We had a few great fights. Hopefully I will recover well to be ready for this match”, said Humbert. 

Aleksander Bublik was leading Jiri Lehecka 6-4 4-1 when the Czech player was forced to retire due to an injury. Bublik set up a match against Andrey Rublev, who was leading Sebastian Korda 6-4 4-3  when the Czech player withdrew due to injury. 

Continue Reading

ATP

Brazilian Rising Star Joao Fonseca Waives College Eligibility To Turn Pro

Published

on

Image via https://twitter.com/RioOpenOficial/

One of Brazil’s most promising young tennis players has made the bold decision to abandon a dream of his to play college tennis in America to turn pro. 

17-year-old Jaoao Fonseca was committed to playing college tennis at the University of Virginia but says professional tennis has called him in a way he couldn’t refuse. The rising star has played just two Tour-level events so far in his career and is currently ranked 343rd in the world. 

At last week’s Rio Open, he became the second-youngest player after Alexander Zverev to reach the quarter-finals of an ATP 500 event since the category was introduced. In his home tournament, the Brazillian beat Arthur Fils and Cristian Garin before losing to Mariano Navone.

“It was an incredibly tough decision for me and my family as I have been dreaming about living a college life in Charlottesville, playing the sport that l love with a wonderful team and coach, but, in the last months, professional tennis called me in a way that I simply couldn’t say no,” Fonseca wrote in a statement published on Instagram
“Although I will not be attending school, I think it is an extremely valuable and viable path for young players in their way to professional careers,” he added.

Fonseca has already enjoyed success on the junior circuit. Last year he was runner-up in the doubles tournament at the Australian Open boy’s event. Then at the US Open, he won his first Grand Slam junior title in singles. He is also a former ITF Junior World No.1 and is currently ranked second in the standings. 

The youngster has already been hailed by compatriot Beatriz Haddad Maia, who is currently ranked 13th on the WTA Tour. Speaking to reporters at the San Diego Open, she has offered her support to Fonseca if he needs it. 

“João is a nice person. He has a great future, if he keeps working hard and keeps doing what he’s doing. I think he has a very aggressive mentality and tennis.” She said.

“We sometimes text each other, but not that much. But I’m always following.. not only him.. but the Brazilians. I’m proud of what he’s doing. He has a long way and he needs to understand that it’s a marathon, it’s not a 100 meter race.’
“Tennis has its ups and downs. I wish him all the best, for sure. I’ll be here whenever he wants. I’m happy with what he’s doing.” 

Fonseca played at the Chile Open this week but lost in the first round to Thiago Agustin Tirante.

Continue Reading

Latest news

Emma Raducanu Among Trio of Grand Slam Winners Handed Miami Open Wild Cards

Published

on

Emma Raducanu - Cincinnati 2022 (foto Twitter @cincytennis)

Emma Raducanu has avoided the possibility of having to go through qualifying at the Miami Open after being awarded a wild card for the event on Thursday. 

The 2021 US Open champion is among four players to have received passes into the main draw of the prestigious event, which is classed as a WTA 1000 for the women and as a Masters 1000 for the men. It will be the third straight year that Raducanu has played in Miami but she is yet to win a match there. In 2022 she lost her opening match to Katerina Siniakova before getting beaten by Bianca Andreescu 12 months later. 

Raducanu has won two out of five Tour-level matches played so far this year. Recently her agent, Max Eisenbud, hit back at those who have criticised the tennis star’s results since winning the US Open. Raducanu also missed a chunk of last season due to injury after undergoing wrist and ankle surgery. 

“The girl did everything backward. She skipped every step. She won the US Open, she went to the next tournament, she didn’t even know where the player lounge was, she didn’t know where the practice courts were,” Eisenbud told the Served With Andy Roddick podcast.
“I don’t think just being tough on her or critical on her like any other player [is wrong]. But she is still figuring it out. I just think that people should not be malicious.”

Other players to have received wild cards into Miami include Venus Williams, who is a three-time champion at the event but hasn’t won the title since 2001. The 43-year-old hasn’t played on the Tour since August and is currently ranked outside the world’s top 400. 

Carolina Wozniacki completes the line-up of former Grand Slam winners being given wild cards. The Dane was a Miami finalist back in 2017 and has made 12 appearances at the tournament. Earlier this week, she suffered a 1-6, 6-4, 6-1, loss to Anna Blinkova in the first round of the San Diego Open. 

As for the men’s tournament, the only confirmed wild card recipient is Kei Nishikori who will be making his first competitive start since July 2023. Recently the injury-stricken Japanese player added Thomas Johansson to his team. 

The Miami Open will get underway on March 17th.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending