Day 5 Wimbledon: KYRGIOS FIGHTS BACK FROM SET DOWN TO BEAT RAONIC - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Day 5 Wimbledon: KYRGIOS FIGHTS BACK FROM SET DOWN TO BEAT RAONIC

Published

on

TENNIS Nick Kyrgios fought back from a set down to edge past last year’s Wimbledon semifinalist Milos Raonic with 5-7 7-5 7-6(7-3) 6-3. Novak Djokovic and Stan Wawrinka advance easily to the fourth round with three-set wins. Diego Sampaolo

 

Kyrgios has rached the fourth round at Wimbledon for the second year in a row. Last year he beat Rafa Nadal in the fourth round to reach his first ever Grand Slam quarter final where he lost to Raonic. The young Aussie player hit 34 aces and dropped just 15 of his first service points.

Kyrgios made three costly double faults in one game as he was serving at 5-4 and dropped the first set with 5-7.

Kyrgios faced a break point in the second set but he saved it before breaking serve at 5-5 with a forehand winner before serving for the set in the next game. The third set came down to the tie-break where Kyrgios went down 0-2 before reeling off six points in a row and hitting a second serve ace on his set point to take the 2-1 lead on sets. Raonicwas was struggling with a shoulder injury in the fourth set where Kyrgios got the break before serving out in the next game

“I feel as if physically I have massive improvements. I wasn’t struggling at all. If it was to go into a fifth, I would have still confident. I didn’t want to lose again. I lost to him twice at Grand Slams. I thought it was agood day. I played ome really good tennis”, said Kyrgios

Kyrgios set up a fourth round match against Richard Gasquet who beat last year’s Wimbledon semifinalist Grigor Dimitrov 6-3 6-4 6-4.

Gasquet broke serve early in the first set and opened up a 2-0 lead. In the ninth game Gasquet saved three break points as Dimitrov was leading 4-2

In the second set Dimitrov earned two break points in the sixth game but he failed to convert them. In the next service game Gasquet broke serve to 15. Gasquet was in control of the match and broke again in the fifth game of the third set. Gasquet did not convert three match points in the 10th game but he sealed the win at the fourth opportunity.

Last year Kyrgios beat Gasquet 10-8 in the fifth set in the second round at Wimbledon.

“It was an incredible match last year. It was very tough because I had nine match points and I couldn’t do it. It was tough to lose. He played incredibly”, said Gasquet.

Novak Djokovic cruised to a 6-3 6-3 6-3 win over Bernard Tomic setting up a fourth round match against Kevin Anderson.

Djokovic broke serve to 15 and cruised to 6-3 in the first set in 29 minutes. Nole broke serve in the seventh game of the second set Tomic went up 0-40 at the start of the third set but Djokovic fended off the break point. Djokovic brought up three break point chances in the fourth game before breaking in the sixth game

Djokovic has reached the fourth round at Wimbledon for the seventh consecutive year.

“It has been great so far. I was hoping I could play better and better. As the tournament progresses and this is what happening. As we are moving on I feel more confident”, said Djokovic

Stan Wawrinka also needed three sets to beat Fernando Verdasco with 6-4 6-3 6-4. Wawrinka will take on David Goffin in the next round. The Belgian beat Marcos Baghdatis 6-3 6-4 6-2

Verdasco dropped his serve in the tenth game with a double fault. The Spanish player held his serve in the third game of the second set but Wawrinka broke serve in the 8th game and served out for the set. Verdasco earned two break points but Wawrinka saved them. Wawrinka broke serve in the ninth game with a lob.

“I have the results so far, three sets each match. In Grand Slams you have to win in three sets.

Marin Cilic and John Isner will resume their battle on Saturday after their four-hour and 16-minute match was suspended on Friday at 7-6 (7-4) 6-7 (6-8) 6-4 6-7 (4-7) 10-10

The first two sets were very tight and dominated by the serve. The first set came down to the tie-break with no breaks and was won by Cilic with two mini-breaks for 7-4. The second set was very similar and was decided by the tie-break after both players did not earn a single break point. Isner won the second set with 8-6. Cilic was the first to get the break point in the ninth game of the third set. The fourth set did not feature any break points and was decided by the tie-break.

There were four mini-breaks in the first five points of the breaker. Isner took a 6-4 lead after a volley error from Cilic and forced the match to the fifth set. Cilic broke in the second game and raced out to 3-0 but went down in the next game. Isner drew level to 3-3. In the 10th game Cilic went up 30-40 but Isner saved the match pop point and drew level to 5-5. Both players held their service games before the match was suspended at 10-10 due to darkness.

On the next day of play, Cilic won the opening to games to take the 5th set 12-10.

ATP

Nick Kyrgios Slams Thiem Over Defence Of Controversy-Stricken Adria Tour

The world No.40 has accused the Austrian of lacking an ‘intellectual level’ to understand his view.

Published

on

Australian star Nick Kyrgios has continued his public criticism of the Adria Tour by taking aim at two-time French Open finalist Dominic Thiem.

 

The 25-year-old has repeatedly hit out at the exhibition event, which Thiem participated in. Organised by world No.1 Novak Djokovic, the event took place in Belgrade and Zadar before it was scrapped following an outbreak of COVID-19 among both players and coaching staff. Djokovic, Grigor Dimitrov and Borna Coric all got infected. The outbreak came after the Adria Tour was criticised for a lack of social distancing and players attended various public events together. Although at the time, all of their actions were done in accordance with local regulations. Something the Serbian Prime Minister now admits was a mistake.

However, Thiem has called out Kyrgios over his vocal criticism of fellow Adria Tour competitor Alexander Zverev. The German attended a party in southern France less than a week after the COVID-19 outbreak despite issuing a statement saying he would go into self-isolation.

“It was his mistake, but I don’t why a lot of people want to interfere. Kyrgios has done a lot of mistakes. It would be better for him to come clear instead of criticising others,” Thiem told Tiroler Tageszeitung.

Continuing to defend the actions of his fellow players, Thiem also jumped to the defence of Djokovic. Who has been under heavy criticism over the event with some going as far as questioning his position as president of the ATP Players Council.

“He didn’t commit a crime. We all make mistakes, but I don’t understand all the criticism. I’ve been to Nice and also saw pictures from other cities. It’s no different from Belgrade during the tournament. It’s too cheap to shoot at Djokovic.”

The comments have now been blasted by Kyrgios, who stands by his previous criticism of players. Accusing Thiem of lacking an ‘intellectual level’ to see his point of view.

“What are you talking about @ThiemDomi? Mistakes like smashing rackets? Swearing? Tanking a few matches here or there? Which everyone does?” Kyrgios wrote on Twitter.
“None of you have the intellectual level to even understand where I’m coming from. I’m trying to hold them accountable.”
“People losing lives, loved ones and friends, and then Thiem standing up for the ‘mistake,'” he added.

The COVID-19 pandemic has killed more than 500,000 people worldwide and some players have voiced concerns over travelling to America which has recently seen a rise in cases. On Wednesday Alexi Popyrin became the first player to say he won’t play the US Open due to health concerns.

The ATP Tour is set to resume next month but it is unclear as to what events Thiem and Kyrgios will be playing in.

Continue Reading

ATP

Roger Federer Eyeing Olympic Glory At The Age Of 39 In 2021

The Swiss tennis star isn’t ready to step away from the sport just yet.

Published

on

20-time Grand Slam champion Roger Federer has vowed to play at next year’s Olympic Games in Tokyo after undergoing two surgeries on his knee.

 

The former world No.1 hasn’t played a competitive match since his semi-final loss to Novak Djokovic at the Australian Open in January. Since then he had twice undergone arthroscopic surgeries which is a minimally invasive procedure that is used to diagnose and treat problems with the joints. Federer announced shortly after having the procedure done for a second time that he will not be returning to the Tour again this year.

Despite the setbacks, the 38-year-old has vowed to return to action at the start of 2021 with Olympic glory one of his main targets. He is already a two-time Olympic medallist after winning gold in the men’s doubles back in 2008 followed by silver in the singles draw at the 2012 London Games.

“My goal is to play Tokyo 2021. It’s a wonderful city. I met my wife in my first Olympics in 2000. It’s a special event for me,” Federer said on Monday during the launch of ‘The Roger’ shoe with Swiss brand ON.
“I had two surgeries and I can’t hit at the moment, but I’m very confident I will be totally ready for 2021.
“I do miss playing in front of the fans, no doubt. Now, I think if tennis comes back we know it won’t be in a normal way where we can have full crowds yet.”

Federer will be 39 when he returns to action, but is yet to speculate as to when he may close the curtain on his record-breaking career. He is currently the second oldest man in the top 200 on the ATP Tour after Croatia’s Ivo Karlovic, who is 41.

Besides the Olympics, the Swiss Maestro is also setting his eye on Wimbledon where he has claimed the men’s title a record eight times. However, he hasn’t won a major title since the 2018 Australian Open. The Grass-court major has been cancelled this year for the first time since 1945 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Of course I miss Wimbledon, of course I would like to be there currently playing on Centre Court for a place in the second week,” he said.
“Clearly, one of my big goals, and that’s why I do recovery work every day and work so hard, and why I’m preparing for a 20-week physical preparation block this year, is because I hope to play at Wimbledon next year.”

Even though he is not playing for the rest of the year, Federer incredibly still has a chance of qualifying for the ATP Finals due to recent changes in the rankings calculations. Due to the pandemic, players are now allowed to use their best results at 18 tournaments based on a 22-month period instead of 12 months. Something that could enable him to remain inside the top eight until the end of 2020 depending on how his rivals fair.

Continue Reading

ATP

ATP Announces 22-Month Ranking System To Support Players Amid COVID-19 Pandemic

Parts of the changes have been done to help support those who prefer not to or can not travel to tournaments due to safety concerns.

Published

on

The ATP Tour has revised their calculations for this year’s ranking system with the governing body admitting that the new changes could also be applied in 2021 amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

Players on the men’s Tour have been given a wider period where they can select their best tournaments to determine their ranking. Prior to the suspension of competitive tennis, male players were allowed to select their 18 best performances in tournaments within a 52-week period. This has now been expanded to 22 months (March 2019-December 2020). Although they are not allowed to use the same tournament twice.

In a press release the ATP says their new measures allows ‘flexibility and fairness’ with players on the tour. Furthermore, it has been designed with the possibility of the rules continuing into 2021 should the ongoing pandemic continue to disrupt the Tour in some degree. Outlining their objectives, the ATP says one of their goals is to protect those who ‘cannot or prefer not to compete in 2020 due to health & safety.’ A point recently raised by Australian player Alexei Popyrin who has voiced concerns about playing at the US Open.

“There are talks regarding the US Open but I really don’t want to go with the situation in America right now,” Popyrin said at the Ultimate Tennis Showdown over the weekend.
“But we have to see if we would be forced to go because of ranking points.
“If the ranking points won’t be frozen, then most of us would be forced to go play cause our ranking will drop and we wouldn’t have any say in it.
“But if the rankings are frozen, then I am staying here.
“I will stay in Europe where it’s safe with my family.”

As a result of the changes, it remains to be seen if this will have any effect on other players concerning their decision to play at the New York major which will be held behind closed doors for the first time in history. Some parts of America have reported a surge in COVID-19 cases with 52,228 New Cases being reported on July 5th.

Under the new calculations, no player will have less ranking points than what they currently have at present. The ATP rankings have been frozen since March 16th but will resume on the Monday after the first tournament in the revised calendar concludes.

There are exceptions to the new 22-month ruling. Qualification for the ATP Finals will still be based on 52 weeks because the event is classed as an ‘additional tournament.’ Therefore it doesn’t count as one of the 18 key events to determine a player’s ranking. Points from last year’s tournament will drop off on November 9th after the Paris Masters. The reason for doing so is to make the chances of qualifying more fair. Furthermore Challenger and ITF events will also be based on the 52-week rule because ‘events are scheduled on a one-year basis and do not have consistent spots in the calendar.’

The ATP Tour is set to resume at the Citi Open in Washington during the second week of August.

A full FAQ of the new ranking system can be read here.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending