Federer, Murray and Kerber win big on grass - UBITENNIS
Connect with us

ATP

Federer, Murray and Kerber win big on grass

Published

on

TENNIS – Roger Federer claimed his 8th Gerry Weber Open title in 10 finals at one of his favourite tournament in Halle with a 7-6(1) 6-4 win over Andreas Seppi. Diego Sampaolo

 

Seppi, who beat Federer for the first time in his career at the Australian Open last January, did not convert three break points in the first set. He earned two set points which Federer saved with two consecutive aces. In the tiebreaker, Federer took control of the breaker winning 7-1 points and taking a 1 set lead.

Seppi’s inability to convert on break points continued into the 2nd set missed another break point chance at the start of the second set as he hit her return into the net. Federer brought up his first break point chances at 4-3 in the but Seppi saved them to draw level. Federer got his only break of the match at his fifth break point opportunity for 5-4 to then serve out the match. He clinched his 8th title at the Gerry Weber Open and 15th title from 20 finals on grass (seven at Wimbledon and eight in Halle). This is Federer’s fourth title for the year after Brisbane, Dubai and Istanbul. Federer is the third player to win at least eight titles at a single tournament after Rafa Nadal, who won the Roland Garros nine times and Montecarlo and Barcelona eight times and Guillermo Vilas, who won eight titles in Buenos Aires

“Of course it’s a special moment for me to win here for the 8th time before Wimbledon. This week has been great when I look at the whole thing. I don’t think I was broken in the last four matches I played. It gives me confidence in the crucial moments to know my game was right there”, said Federer

Murray wins his 34th title at the Queen’s

Murray3

 

Andy Murray clinched his 34th career title in 50 finals with a 6-3 6-4 win over Kevin Anderson at the Aegon Championships at the Queen’s Club. The Dunblane star equalled John McEnroe, Boris Becker, Lleyton Hewitt and Andy Roddick as four-time Queen’s champion. He had already won this tournament in 2009, 2011 and 2013

Murray completed his win over Vikr Troicki with 6-3 7-6 (4) in the semifinal which was interrupted by rain on Saturday. He had a two-hour break before the start of the final against Kevin Anderson. Murray broke serve once in each set and did not face a break point in the final against Anderson who was broken just once in the tournament.

Murray brought up a break point chance with a backhand winner in the fourth game and converted the chance as Anderson his hit his volley into the net. He sealed the win in the first set with a sliced backhand. He earned a break point chance in the fifth game of the second set at 2-2 with a forehand return and converted it with a drop shot. He hit a lob and a backhand winner before closing out the match when Anderson fired wide on a service return

Murray clinched his third title of the year after Munich and Madrid on clay.

“I served really well and then thankfully, when the chances came I managed to come up with some instisnctive shots. I played better as the week went on and hopefully I can continue that into Wimbledon. It’s been a really good start but it’s a long way to go before Wimbledon even starts,” said Murray

Murray will be bidding to repeat his Queen’s – Wimbledon double achieved in 2013.

“It’s great preparation obviously but it has only happened six times where someone has won the Queen’s and gone one to win Wimbledon,” said Murray

Kerber fought back from a set down to edge Pliskova in Birmingham WTA final

628x471 (1)

Angelique Kerber fought back from a set down to edge Karolina Pliskova with 6-7(5) 6-3 7-6(4) at the Aegon Classic in Birmingham

Kerber broke serve early in the first set but she did not convert on four set points. Pliskova clinched the first-set tie-break. The young Czech player broke serve early in the second set. Kerber turned around the match breaking twice in the second set. The German got another break in the third set but Plsiskova fought back saving break points. Pliskova broke back

Kerber rallied from 5-6 down in the decisive set to hold her serve before getting a mini-break on the ninth point. The German won the next two points from 5-4 to clinch a hard-fought tie-break with 7-4. Kerber hit 34 winners to 14 unforced errors. Pliskova hit more than 50 winners but made 42 unforced errors.

“It was an amazing match and perfect for a final. It will give great confidence in my preparation for Wimbledon”, said Kerber.

Pliskova played a great tournament and had nothing to regret. “I was happy with the way I played because i did everything I could”, said Pliskova

ATP

Next Gen Star Alexei Popyrin Fears He May Be Forced To Play US Open Despite Health Concerns

Like many other lower ranked players on the Tour, the 20-year-old finds himself in a tough situation.

Published

on

One of Australia’s rising stars has said he is worried that he may have to play at the US Open against his will or risk losing a chunk of ranking points.

 

Alexei Popryin has raised his concerns about travelling to the New York major in August amid a surge of COVID-19 cases in some areas of the country. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention there were 52,228 New Cases of the virus on July 5th compared to 24 hours before. Furthermore, the governor of New York recently announced that people travelling from 16 different states in America are now required to self-quarantine for 14 days if they visit the city. According to USA Today this ruling applies to roughly 48% of the entire American population.

Despite the concerns, the organisers of the US Open have insisted they will be able to hold the tournament in a safe manner and will be implementing various restrictions. Including holding the event without fans for the first time and conducting frequent testing of players. However world No.103 Popryin admits that he still has his concerns about attending.

“There are talks regarding the US Open but I really don’t want to go with the situation in America right now,” Popyrin said at the Ultimate Tennis Showdown over the weekend.
“But we have to see if we would be forced to go because of ranking points.
“If the ranking points won’t be frozen, then most of us would be forced to go play cause our ranking will drop and we wouldn’t have any say in it.
“But if the rankings are frozen, then I am staying here.
“I will stay in Europe where it’s safe with my family.”

Popryin has a considerable amount of points to defend in New York after reaching the third round there last year. Therefore, if he skips the event he faces dropping further down the rankings. Something which will then impact on his chances of entering the bigger tournaments later in the year. Usually the cut off for Grand Slam tournaments is around 105.

It is still to be announced as to what will happen with the ranking points system at the US Open and if there will be any adjustments made due to the pandemic. Although organisers will likely be against any idea to remove them from the event as it is a key factor to attract players to take part.

Another player to voice their concerns about the US Open is France’s Benoit Paire, who has said he would not attend the event if it was taking place today. Speaking to RMC Sport the world No.22 said he would rather not go to the event if he meant that he would be ‘taking a risk’ with his health.

“Going to the United States would be at risk of catching it. I am a great professional and I am one of those who would always like to play tennis, but your health is the most important thing,” he said.
“If going there is taking the risk of catching the disease and staying quarantined when I return, I prefer not to go, really.’
“It looks like if we play the US Open, we will have to sacrifice not to play the Mutua Madrid Open or the Masters 1000 in Rome.”

Meanwhile, world No.3 Dominic Thiem recently told Austrian media that he believes a final decision regarding the Grand Slam will be made within a week. Something that is yet to be confirmed by officials.

Should it go ahead, the US Open will start on August 31st.

Continue Reading

ATP

REPORT: Former Spanish Tennis Star In Talks To Coach Alexander Zverev

A former world No.3 could be returning to the Tour later this year in a new position.

Published

on

Tennis sensation Alexander Zverev could soon be mentored by somebody whose career he ended last year at the Madrid Open.

 

Spanish newspaper Marca have reported that the world No.7 is set to enter in a 15-day trial with former French Open finalist David Ferrer where the two will get to know each other better. Ferrer has reportedly travelled to Monte Carlo to start working alongside Germany’s top player. Should everything go well, the two could start a formal partnership in September ahead of the European clay-court swing of the Tour, which has been delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Both men are already fairly familiar with each other after facing off nine times on the ATP Tour, including three times last year. Zverev was the last player Ferrer played against at the Madrid Open before officially retiring from the sport at the age of 37.

“He’s the most respectful guy for me on Tour, and one of the most loved people on the Tour as well,” Zverev told reporters in the Spanish capital following their match.

Whilst never winning a Grand Slam, Ferrer achieved numerous accolades throughout his career. Including spending 4914 consecutive days in the world’s top 50, winning 27 ATP titles and achieving a ranking high of No.3 back in 2013. Overall, he has played 1011 matches on the ATP Tour (including Grand Slams) which is more than John McEnroe.

Should Ferrer receive the green light, Zverev will be the first high-profile player he will be responsible for. The Spaniard had previously hinted at his desire to enter coaching with his long time objective being to captain the Spanish Davis Cup team. He is also currently serving as the tournament director of the Barcelona Open.

“I would be very proud to be able to be (Davis Cup captain),” Ferrer told Marca in April 2019. “I also understand that this is very far away and there are players who are ahead. First, I have to train as a professional in teaching (coaching).”

Neither Ferrer or Zverev has publicly commented on the report. At present Zverev is coached on the Tour by his father who guided him to the semi-finals of the Australian Open in January.

Continue Reading

ATP

Father Of Dominic Thiem Condemns Criticism Of Novak Djokovic’s Role In Adria Tour Fiasco

Wolfgang Thiem has come to the defence of the world No.1 before suggesting that COVID-19 cases among players at charity events are worth it.

Published

on

The father of world No.3 Dominic Thiem has said it is ‘too cheap’ to blame Novak Djokovic over the outbreak of COVID-19 at the controversial Adria Tour.

 

Wolfgang Thiem lent his support behind the 17-time Grand Slam champion during an interview with Austrian newspaper Die Presses on Friday. The Adria Tour, which was founded by Djokovic, was cancelled following an outbreak of the virus during the Zadar leg of the event in Croatia with Grigor Dimitrov being the first player to confirm a positive test. Shortly after, Djokovic and Borna Coric also tested positive as well as some coaching staff. Viktor Troicki also contracted COVID-19, but only played the first leg of the Tour in Belgrade.

Throughout the Belgrade and Zadar events organisers were criticised for a lack of social distancing being applied. Players were seen playing basketball matches, attending nightclubs and interacting with the public. Although all of those actions were in line with local government rules.

“I do not approve of what happened on the Adria Tour, but condemning Djokovic and saying he screwed it up is too cheap for me,” Wolfgang commented.
“Of course the dance at the disco was not optimal, but Djokovic basically did nothing wrong. They just got a little sloppy, they were euphoric,” he continued.

Djokovic, who has been at the centre of the criticism, is yet to publicly speak about the incident. On Friday it was confirmed that both him and his wife Jelena have now tested negative for the virus. 10 days after they were first diagnosed.

As for Thiem, his father said the Austrian tennis star will be donating his money from the event to charity. Although he did not say how much that would be or which cause it would go towards. It comes just days after Djokovic donated 40,000 euros to the Serbian town of Novi Pazar, who has been hit hard by the pandemic.

Speaking about the outbreak of COVID-19 among players, Wolfgang has suggested that it is worth it if it meant raising money for charity.

“I prefer that there be a few more cases of coronavirus and be able to raise a few thousand euros for a childhood cancer clinic,” he explained.

Since the Adria Tour, Thiem has played at the Ultimate Tennis Showdown (UTS) in France. He has undergone five COVID-19 tests in recent days with all of them testing negative for the virus. The 26-year-old withdrew from the UTS on Wednesday to focus on the upcoming Thiem 7 event in Kitzbuhel which will start on July 7th.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending