TENNIS WTA EASTBOURNE – Caroline Wozniacki came back from a set down to defeat Camila Giorgi in the most spectacular and tense match of the day at the Aegon International of Eastbourne, while Madison Keys and Angelique Kerber left little to their opponents. From Eastbourne, Giulio Gasparin
Starting from Wozniacki’s match, the former world number one had top come up with probably some of the best tennis she has played over the past few seasons to beat a very good Giorgi on centre court.
The biggest moment of drama was surely during the tiebreak of the first set, when first the Dane had to complain to the umpire for a horrible mistake she had done with a call, but then the umpire got it wrong once more as Giorgi, in anger for a double fault on a set point for her, smacked a ball into the crowd hitting an old lady.
The Italian did not even apologise for the misdeed, but astonishingly the umpire gave her only a warning, when in the same situation several players had been disqualified.
The slayer of Victoria Azarenka managed to close the first, but Wozniacki was not there to give up.
Both player showed a great performance, especially off the serve, but it was the former world number one that impressed the most, hitting six aces and constantly scoring over 110mph with the first serve.
In the seventh game an old man fainted in the stands and the game was suspended on 4-3 for the Italian for about 15 minutes.
When their returned on court, Wozniacki had to serve first and was immediately given a big test, having to face two break points that would have sent the Italian serving for the match.
The Dane cleared them with two big serves and hold.
Strong of the boost of confidence given by this event, she immediately looked more aggressive and with a stunning lob-stop volley combination, she got the chance to break Giorgi’s serve.
She made it and with another big service game, she closed the second set 6-4.
In the third set, the Italian started immediately well, but after wasting two more break points in the second game, it was all about the eighth seed.
Wozniacki took full control of the match and thanks to an evidently mentally tired Giorgi, she fast closed the set and so the match 6-7 (7) 6-4 6-2.
The Dane will face Kerber for a place in the final, as the German destroyed Ekaterina Makarova 6-2 6-1.
The fifth seed, who survived two match points in the earlier round against Alizè Cornet, played a superb match, especially with her forehand down the line, to take revenge of the match lost to the Russian only 12 months ago on the same event.
In a similar fashion, Keys left only three games to her friend and compatriot Lauren Davis, who looked visibly tired after starting her run from the qualies.
Nonetheless, the 19 year old looked impressive and she is possibly the favourite to reach the final in her match against Heather Watson.
The Brit needed no match to get through as Petra Kvitova was forced to pull out due to a thigh injury, something that clearly disappointed the crowd ready to cheer for their local idol.
Why Peng Shuai’s Video Call With The IOC Has Failed To Ease The Concerns Of The WTA
The WTA said the video hasn’t changed their stance on the matter.
The governing body of women’s tennis says they still have concerns about the welfare of former world No.1 doubles player Peng Shuai despite her appearing in a video call with the International Olympic Committee on Sunday.
Shuai attended a video call with IOC president Thomas Bach in what was her first public interaction with an international official since making allegations of sexual assault against China’s former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli. On November 2nd Shuai published a post on her Weibo account detailing the alleged assault and revealed she had an on-and-off affair with the former influential political figure for a decade. The post was removed less than an hour after it went live and her Weibo account is still restricted.
In a statement issued by the IOC, Shuai was quoted as saying that she is ‘safe and well’ and would like some privacy. It is understood that the video call lasted roughly 30 minutes, which also included IOC Athletes’ Commission Chair Emma Terho and IOC Member in China Li Lingwei. However, in the statement there was no mention of the sexual assault allegations which was made by Shuai.
“This video does not change our call for a full, fair and transparent investigation, without censorship, into her allegation of sexual assault, which is the issue that gave rise to our initial concern.” The WTA told Reuters in response to the video.
There are fears by the WTA that Shuai is under the control of the state and is restricted as to what she can and can’t say. Lingwei, who participated in the video call, is a former athlete who has since worked with the Chinese government and is a member of the people’s congress.
Recently China’s media, which is controlled by the Communist party, has posted a series of photos and videos of Shuai. However, the WTA confirmed at the weekend they will have been prevented from getting in contact with her despite making numerous efforts.
“It was good to see Peng Shuai in recent videos, but they don’t alleviate or address the WTA’s concern about her well-being and ability to communicate without censorship or coercion,” a WTA spokeswoman said.
China’s Global Television network, which is owned by state media, hasn’t posted a single article about Shuai in recent weeks following her allegations. However, for the first time on Monday they published a story about her meeting with the IOC but made no mention of the allegations.
Hu Xijin is the editor of the Global Times newspaper. He claims that the world wouldn’t believe what Shuai is saying unless they are in line with the Western media who he accuses of trying to damage the reputation of his country. Hu is an influential political figure in his country, whose publications have been used to send messages to the outside world. He has also been accused by some of being a political propagandist for the community party.
“As long as what Peng Shuai said doesn’t accord with the expectation of the Western media, they won’t believe it. They only believe the story about China that they imagine. I’m surprised that they didn’t say the lady who showed up these two days is a fake Peng Shuai, a double,” Hu wrote on Twitter.
“For those who truly care about the safety of Peng Shuai, her appearances of these days are enough to relieve them or eliminate most of their worries. But for those aiming to attack China’s system and boycott the Beijing Winter Olympics, facts, no matter how many, don’t work for them.” He later added.
Like all of the Chinese state-run media and their journalists, Hu has made no mention of the allegations concerning Mr Gaoli.
The WTA have said they are willing to withdraw tournaments from China if their concerns of Shuai’s welfare are not properly addressed.
REPORT: China Censors Naomi Osaka’s Weibo Account Over Peng Shuai Support
It has emerged that followers are being prevented from commenting on her posts as the WTA warns China they are prepared to stop doing business with them if they can’t guarantee Shuai’s safety.
Restrictions have been placed on the official Weibo account of former world No.1 Naomi Osaka after she posted a statement expressing concern about the whereabouts of Peng Shuai, according to a leading financial newspaper.
Nikkei Asia confirmed on Thursday that they have found ‘censoring activity’ on Osaka’s account less than 24 hours after she spoke out about her fellow tennis player. It is understood that comments have been disabled on her latest post even though it is unrelated to Shuai. Weibo is the main social media service in China which is used by millions every day but it is regulated by the country’s strict laws. Other sites such as Twitter is officially banned in the country.
In her post, Osaka wrote on Twitter that ‘censorship is never OK at any cost’ and that she hopes Shuai is safe. It has since been retweeted more than 19,000 times.
On November 2nd a post was uploaded on Shuai’s Weibo account in which she said she was pressured into sex by the former vice-premier of China, Zhang Gaoli, and she had an on-and-off affair with him over a intermittent period of 10 years. The post was removed less than an hour after it was uploaded but observers took screenshots of it which was then reposted online. Since then, Shuai hasn’t been heard of or seen in public.
There are now mounting concerns over Shuai’s current whereabouts after the international branch China’s state-broadcaster published a letter which they claimed the tennis star wrote to the WTA. The letter says that the tennis star denies making the accusations and she is not missing. However, Steve Simon, who is the head of the WTA, has expressed serious concerns about the authenticity of the letter.
“The statement released today by Chinese state media concerning Peng Shuai only raises my concerns as to her safety and whereabouts,” Simon said in a statement. “I have a hard time believing that Peng Shuai actually wrote the email we received or believe what is being attributed to her.”
In recent years China has been a crucial location for the WTA Tour and has generated millions in revenue for the sport. No tournaments have taken place in the country this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic but 10 are expected to resume next year, including the prestigious WTA Finals. Nevertheless, the WTA has stated that they are prepared to cut ties with China if they can’t guarantee Shuai’s safety.
“If at the end of the day we don’t see the appropriate results from this, we would be prepared to take that step and not operate our business in China, if that’s what it came to,” Simon told The New York Times.
In 2014 Shuai became the first Chinese player in history to top the world rankings in doubles. During her career, she has won two major titles with Hsieh Su-wei and has been ranked as high as 14th in singles.
Garbine Muguruza Beats Kontaveit To Win Season-Ending WTA Finals
Muguruza caps off what she describes as her ‘best year’ on the Tour by becoming the first Spanish woman to win the season-ending title.
Garbine Muguruza is the 2021 WTA Finals champion after beating the world’s number eight Anett Kontaveit 6-3, 7-5 in one hour and 38 minutes in Guadalajara, Mexico.
The Spaniard hit 16 winners while the Estonian hit 38 unforced errors in a match that went back and forth during both sets before the Caracas native was able to secure the win.
” I want to congratulate Anett (Kontaveit) on her amazing year and managing to qualify for the finals in the last event of the year,” Muguruza said during the trophy ceremony. ”I want to thank everyone who made this possible to play in Latin America and it was a dream come true to play”.
Two-time Grand Slam champion Muguruza got off to an aggressive start by looking for the early break in the first game of the match but the world number eight held her ground and managed to hold serve.
At 1-1, the Spaniard had three more chances to take the lead and she was able to break serve at the third time of asking but failed to consolidate it as Kontaveit broke right back the following game.
Once again at 3-3, it was the world number five who got another break and this was able to hold serve the following game. She then broke serve for a second time to take the first set.
The 28-year-old was put under pressure early in the second set and faced two early breakpoints at 1-1 but dug deep and saved both. At 3-3, it was Kontaveit’s turn to apply pressure, and this time she was able to get the break. The 25-year-old had a chance to serve out the second and force a deciding third set but cracked under the pressure as Muguruza broke right back to even the set at 5-5.
At 6-5, Muguruza found herself with three match points on her opponent’s serve and broke one last time to seal the victory and the title.
“I’m just very happy I proved to myself once again I can be the best, I can be the ‘maestra,’ like how we say in Spanish,” Muguruza said in press. “That puts me in a very good position for next year, a good ranking.”
Muguruza ends her season with three WTA titles to her name after triumphing in Dubai and Chicago earlier this year. Making it the first time in her career she has won a trio of WTA events within the same year. Overall, she has won 42 out of 69 matches played during 2021.
“Overall I think it’s the best year for me. I might not have won a Grand Slam, but I deeply feel like I’ve been happier and more stable, less dramatic, and in general very happy about it.” She concludes.
The former world No.1 takes home a whopping 1.6 million dollars for winning the tournament and her ranking will go up to number three when the new world rankings come out on Monday.
The Russian Tennis Federation scores come-back win over Spain to secure quarter final spot in the Davis Cup
Emma Raducanu Sheds Light On Work With ‘Infectious’ Coach Beltz
New Covid-19 Variant, New Headache For Tennis Australia’s 2022 Masterplan
‘We Competed Like Animals’ – Defending Champions Spain Knocked Out Of Davis Cup Finals
Croatia sets up a Davis Cup quarter final clash against Italy in Turin
Novak Djokovic Says ‘Media Propaganda’ Won’t Stop Him From Speaking Out
Roger Federer Hopes To End Career On His Own Terms But Wimbledon 2022 In Serious Doubt
‘Leader Of The Next Generation’ – Novak Djokovic Hails Medvedev After Paris Clash
Rafael Nadal To Play Australian Open Warm-Up Event In Abu Dhabi
REPORT: China Censors Naomi Osaka’s Weibo Account Over Peng Shuai Support
US Open, Steve Flink: “Djokovic’s loss had more to do with fatigue than pressure”
US Open, Steve Flink on the Murray-Tsitsipas Controversy
(VIDEO) Dominic Thiem, Juan Martin Del Potro Gathering Momentum In Comeback Bids
Steve Flink On Wimbledon: “Bautista Agut would be a tough semifinal test for Djokovic”
Wimbledon, Flink: “Djokovic Will Beat Zverev in the Final”
Latest news3 days ago
Novak Djokovic secures win for Serbia in Davis Cup Finals in Innsbruck
Hot Topics1 day ago
Novak Djokovic Unlikely To Play Australian Open Under Current Conditions, Says Father
Latest news1 day ago
Kazakhstan Knocks Out Canada To advance At Davis Cup Finals
Latest news2 days ago
Great Britain beats France 2-1 in opening Davis Cup match in Innsbruck
Latest news2 days ago
Jannik Sinner secures Davis Cup quarter final for Italy in Turin
Hot Topics2 days ago
WTA Confident Peng Shuai’s Email Responses Were Written Under The Influence Of Others
Latest news2 days ago
Australia fights back from first match defeat to beat Hungary 2-1
Hot Topics1 day ago
Great Britain Bounce Back To Reach Last Eight At Davis Cup Finals